Peg 101

Chris the Fish

I think maybe we are losing perspective here. Of course stringing explanatory swear words together with various nouns, verbs etc to form a statement aimed at someone/something is not acceptable in public.

Where as the odd exclamation used singulary i.e F***, S*** or C*** surely cannot be offensive. Lets face it, we all know what they mean and they are only slang for a "proper" and "acceptable" word.

Please, I would be most interested to know. If I was fishing with any of you and I muttered S**T after losing a fish, would you be offended and if so, why?

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aanthony thank you!!!!!!!!

this is exactly what i've been trying to say.

and frodo, once again you fail to get the point, the quote you use about some people thinking words are acceptable whilst others arent was intended to make the point that whats the difference between a c**t and a S**t, the answer is obviously absolutly nothing when used as exclamations, if i was to call you a c**t which i would never dream of doing (regardless of whether or not i think you are) that would be unacceptable, if i call a big fish thats got away a c**t, that to me is completely acceptable as the object of my wrath cant even understand what i'm saying

Jeepster, I swear a lot myself, at work, in the car, etc... but NOT in front of children, and I am not offended by the use of the words you describe. However, the problem I have is when other anglers punctuate their ordinary speech with streams of profanities when children are present.

It is not the whispered.. s**t or b******s when a fish is lost but the typical... every other f***ing word is f****ing that or f****ing this.

Totally unecessary, always wrong, the verbal equivalent of litter!

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Ok guys i got it b4 and i get it now.

and we are finding common ground here,because if you read my last reply carefully you will see that I am actually agreeing with you (although I do have a personal and particaular dislike to the C word in any context).

I would agree that muttering an expletive "under your breath" is understandable " I've done it myself .

I except and understand your point, now please try to understand mine, bellowing at the top of your voice expletives/obsenities in a public area where other may not wish to hear is not imo neccesary or exceptable.

quote:

if i get snagged and lose my favourite lure then the
whole world
will hear how fed up i am,

quote:

which brings me to foul language. the odd s**t or similar is fine, im quite a repeat offender, however, the use of overly foul language in front of kids is a no no in my book and really gets my goat, straight to 101 for that one!

basically jeepster you are agreeing with this quote now are you not. So whats all the bickering about.

p.s not having a dig or trying to be judgemental just offering my opinion 'hope its taken in the context with which it is intended'

[ 27. October 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: frodo_uk ]

fat, stupid hobbit.

which quote am i supposed to be agreeing with? the first or the second? if its the second, then nothing i've said should lead you to the conclusion that i agree with it. what i actually have said is that if you dont make a fuss about expletives used in front of children then they wont pick up on them. so dont try to tell me what i'm thinking or saying, just read my posts properly and whether you agree with what i say or not, accept it as my point of view

jeepster:

i really dont understand your point about being accused of hideous crimes, i've read it a few times but still cant get it, so if you care to explain further......

It's the 'only words' thing. My point is, and having read your subsequent posts I don't think we're too far apart on this, that when used irresponibly, words can inflict hurt, unfair accusation, lies and many other unpleasant things. Thus the 'don't worry they're only words' deal is a non-starter.

Expletives used in the manner that you and others have described are no problem at all, but if we take the 'only words' application to anything like its conclusion, we'll be 'f'ing and 'c'ing all over the place, as will those we influence.

In short, what's ok between mates on the bank or in the pub, isn't acceptable in front of my mum, my kids, or on here in front of someone else's mum and children.

That's all I was trying to say.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Swearing is unacceptable on forums as are the asterisks that some people seem to think will let them off the hook. Its unnecessary and in most cases its also contravening the rules of the forum. If you are sitting in front of your PC with the time to make a measured response to a thread and you can't string two words together IN PRINT without effing and blinding and can't think of any alternative words to emphasise the point you're trying to make then take bit of advise, give up fishing for a while and use the time to join an English language class. Like it or not your bad language offends, it leads kids and the easily impressed to the view that its acceptable, it isn't. To the rest of us you look like a thicko and if you cant take a hint, then continual use should get you banned from any half decent forum. I'm far from being a puritan and have the occasional blast myself when a bit of spontaneity demands it, but never out loud in public or in front of kids or strangers. On the forum that I administrate, one lapse will get you edited, two will get you a quiet off-line warning, three and its 'hasta la vista baby'

I suspect that those that like to write 'naughty' words on forums probably also write stuff on toilet walls.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

On the subject of what I would put in room 101 I am surprised that cormorants haven’t been mentioned yet. I would also put in signal crayfish, drift netting for salmon, greedy European trawler men who have been allowed to over fish the seas around us and the politicians who have allowed this to happen.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/