How long can you keep casters in the fridge?

lozza

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had casters in a very cold fridge about three weeks and caught plenty of fish on them.

Some of the old boys at a local club swear by week old casters as opposed to fresh ones.

You can freeze casters - put them in a plastic bottle, fill with water and freeze.

They are not much good for hook once thawed but can be used as loose feed or crushed into groundbait.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Actually, I've used casters in a right old state. Dry, black and practically ready for hatching. I've caught on them bizillions of times. I never throw out maggots or casters. I might have fresh stuff for the hook in general yes but nothing is waste. Even chucking old maggots and casters into a swim is adding something that wasn't there previously and I don't buy into anything being bitter.

Fish, in my experience, would eat vomit if you served it up properly.

People use N-Butyric acid as an additive. That tells you everything you need to know.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Fish, in my experience, would eat vomit if you served it up properly.

Given your profession, Andy, this observation worries me ;)

People use N-Butyric acid as an additive. That tells you everything you need to know.

Hell, it occurs naturally in plenty of stuff that people like to eat. Bit of parmesan on that, sir?

I don't see why freezing would not preserve casters, but I bet they don't keep long once defrosted before they start to rot inside.

Hell, it occurs naturally in plenty of stuff that people like to eat. Bit of parmesan on that, sir?
That's how it is made Steve. It's a bit like brewing wine but using cheese rather than yeast. Putrefying cheese is added to a solution of sucrose and fermented.

It's also found in butter.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Easily made in the lab, too, by oxidising butanol. Or from short chain triglycerides (dietary fat) by hydrolysis of their ester bonds - this is why vomit smells of butyric acid, the same reaction occurs in our stomachs as part of the digestion of fat.

Well there we go then. I sugggested vomit and Phone assures us it's the shiznit.

Told you they'd eat anything.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...