Favorite rod - and why.

Ken L

My favorite rod is made by one of my sponsors. It is the MBH665C from Rogue rods Magnum Bass Series.

The reason this rod is my favorite, is because it is best suited for my favorite still of bass fishing which is Pitching Jigs into heavy cover.

I like the sensitivity of the tip and the tough backbone of the rod. It allows me to pitch a jig into the nastiest brush piles and have the power to pull out big bass.

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

JT, you are, in UK terms, a lucky man in that you are supplied with new state of the art tackle every year. I suppose that you are duty bound to use it, and to be seen using it. But don't you ever look back, or dig out an old favorit from your tackle den, give it a waggle, and hey presto, you then nip off to the waterside with a comfortable old friend?

Although I keep my arsenal pretty much up to date there are times when I pick up an old rod and wonder why I ever relegated it to the back of the pile. In reality rod design has become pretty static and good oldens can be overlooked.

Bruce& Walker Mk4 Avon 10ft Glass, given to me by Lol breakspeare (Barbel nut) had it since I was a kid which is longer than I would care remember still use it on intimate ponds when feeling nostalgic

[ 17. November 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Tony C ]

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Peter,

Last year I did fish with one of my old favorites a couple times. I could not believe how much heavier my old rods were compared to the ones I use now. They made me wonder how I ever fished with them all day.

JT Bagwell

Contact me any time: Facebook.com/Bagwell or Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics or Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell

Some interesting replies.

I have to admit to having a couple of old stars that I just love to pull out for very specific situations. They spark fond memories every time I mount a reel on 'em.

And I love Kendo's line about the garden cane. I used to fish a pool that had so many carp in it you could hand feed them. Only tiddlers but I always fancied trying to catch one on a bent pin tied to the end of a cane with sewing thread just to say I'd done it. It would have been easy on that pool too but I kinda doubt that I'll ever get the chance to try it now.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My Ron Thomson Vendetta feeder rod. Very Stiff action. When you cast a method ball you think its going to snap. But you can give it some welly and theres no bother with it at all.

Broke the heavy tip in Ireland PUTTING IT AWAY!