Favorite rod - and why.

Ken L

I'm lucky enough to have a lot of rods available for my fishing. Some of them hardley ever come out of the bag and some of them only ever get broken down when they're put away for the winter.

My favourites would be:

A 3lb TC Pike rod made by DAM that hardley ever gets used for Pike fishing but which is a pleasure to use on a beach in the summer because I can hold it all night without getting tired and I get to play my sea-fish instead of just crank em in.

A Loomis and Fanklin 1 piece baitcaster that's reignighted my interest in this branch of lure fishing. More like hand to hand combat than fishing, this rod is great fun with medium to large plugs.

A G Loomis spinning rod that I've been using for the last year. Totally responsive, superlight and much more powerfull than it looks or feels. This rod is great fun and would have been No1 if it was just a fraction longer and a tiny bit more powerfull.

But.

My absolute favorite rod to use though has to be a little #5 weight Shimano Perfection fly rod. I don't do a great deal of fluff flinging but this rod is so alive that it brings a great big smile to my face every time I catch a fish on it, even if it's just a little dace.

Next year I plan to push it to the limit with an artificial caster and a prebaited barbel swim

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Of course I should have added the question. What are other peoples favorite rods and why ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I think my favourite rod would have to be an old steel ariel from which I made a baitcasting rod, as similar as I could to the one that Mr Crabtree recommended in Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing. I never use in now, 'cause it ended its life a long time ago :( , but thanks to that rod I have retained a love of lure fishing that dates from 1955 to the present day.

A toss up between a four piece 6 weight Loomis GLX and a Ron Thompson IM8 Ultralite. One ridiculously expensive and one ridiculously cheap but both just about the best in their class.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have seen this thread a lot of times.Every time I have given it some thought but can not really answer it.I have a lot of different rods for different jobs.I find each one right for the job I have it for,I wouldnt keep them if they werent.So I can not really say which is my favourite.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I suppose mine has got to be the 12ft garden cane with a staple in one end to tie the 2lb line to,Iwas about 10 years old but caught a lot of small perch,roach. :)

ps dont know the brand or test curve. :o:D:D:D:rolleyes:

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

I got a mitchell rod( I think its a bass rod) from sears in fort myers when on holiday 12 years ago, it cost me $69 complete with reel, i have used this rod uptiding, and caught my biggest cod on it, pike fishing, beachcasting, spinning, float fishing, ledgering, it has performed well on all occassions, it has brilliant bite detection, although I now have 5 other rods for different types of fishing I always take this with me and still use it regularly, great rod, wouldnt be without it :D

one of my apollo taperflashes, why? `cause i can :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson