Lunchen Meat

monkey boy14

i only use it in the summer ,i cut it into 1/2" squares and let it sit in the sun ,after a while it gets a rubbery "coating" this can hold it on the hook for gentle casts you can try microing or grilling frying etc for the same effect ,or put it on a hair with a bit of bread crust behind for longer casts or for the ultimate cast mount it as above and put each bait in a icecube mould leave only the bait and hook in (arrange the rest of the hair away from the mould)add water and freeze it solid ,on the day of use put all the hairs in a vacuum flask and take one out for use keep the rest in the flask ,remember in cold weather the ice takes longer to melt this method also makes free lineing a doddle as all the "weight" magically disapears :) the ice cube method can be used for any bait except ofcourse ones that "dissolve" or become manky in water such as bread etc

[ 08. December 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There are two ways of using luncheon meat. One is using a hair rig and using a baiting needle pushed through the meat and onto the hair, and I normally use a thin bit of reed to hold it on the hair.

The other way I use it is to put the meat on a baiting needle an pulling the hook throuh the meat and holding the hook in the meat with a piece of reed.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

The new Korum bait spikes worked well for me in the Summer.

Paul

There are many different brands of luncheon meat,some are totally unsuitable as hookbaits being too soft.

It would help if you were to tell us what species and what size of fish you are expecting to catch.

I would suspect that the simple answer is to use a bigger hook.

I agree with Monkeyboy that the Korum Quickstops are very good.....right up until the moment you loose the needle jobby into the water.

Paul

I have great faith in the Double 'T' meat hooks

from Partridge,the meat never comes off.

You should also look at the device sold by

Enterprise Tackle,as these are also good.

As Chesters said,giving it a blast of 30 seconds

in a microwave toughens it up as well.

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened!

As ajp said, different meats vary in consistency. Some meats like spam and bacon grill are harder and stay on the hook better. Recently I started using Boosted meat from the tackle shop. I found it an excellent bait and it stayed on the hook really well. Well worth the £1.20 for a tin.

The only downside for me is that the flavoured meats in this range of tinned baits contain milk protein which my 8 year old is very allergic to!