Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ferret1959

Ah now this could be interesting.

Those who say they would stay with thier rods and like them to be at arms lenght think of this one.

You mate in the next swim has a big f**k off carp and needs held landing, weighing and photographing.

What do you do?

I would help him but leave my rods in the water, my alarm would let me know if I have a fish on and the bait runners would let the fish run untill I ran straight back to the rod.

I would therefore go on the 'how long to get to the rod' principal.

Anyhow I'm just off for the night fishing.

Catch ya tomorra. :):)

I was about a mile from my rods yesterday, i heard a propella type noise, looked up for a spitfire and there was about two thousdand bee's above me, i was praying my buzzer didn't go :mad:

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

I'm with ferret. Most of us have, at some point have left rods unattended to help other anglers, nip off to the bushes, cook the bacon :) .

With the right tackle though your chances of causing any harm are exceptionally small.

I have seen real old boys tench fishing though where the float has been under some time (minutes) before they have cottoned on - I've also seen a lot of anglers asleep on bedchairs! Just because you a near a rod doesn't imply you are watching it, paying attention or able to react if something goes wrong!

Ian W

Ferret1959:

You mate in the next swim has a big f**k off carp and needs held landing, weighing and photographing.

What do you do?

I would help him but leave my rods in the water, my alarm would let me know if I have a fish on and the bait runners would let the fish run untill I ran straight back to the rod.

I would therefore go on the 'how long to get to the rod' principal.

At Wingham there are a few adjacent swims where you could get back to your rods within 5 seconds.

On any other swim I'd insist on your both winding in and also removing your baits from your hooks so that birds can't eat them. Only then could you leave your swim. The only exception would be a genuine emergency.

The guy who I referred to earlier went to help with a fish in the next swim (not that help was needed). It was a stupid and expensive mistake! :rolleyes:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

"Unattended Rods

It is unlawful to leave a rod and line, that is unattended, in the water or over which sufficient control can not be effected."

So strictly speaking if an angler has three rods going and is playing a big fish one one of them, the other 2 are "out of control", in the sense that the angler is in no position to cope with a run on one of those rods?

Also, if a run (on a small lake, say) is likely to see a fish bury itself among the reeds then walking away 10 yards ought to be "insufficient control"

I'm sodding zero tolerance on this. Pay bloody attention to what you're doing.

Watched John Wilson on TV, pike fishing Graffham Water (I think it was) from a boat. Had a floated deadbait out behind him, and was luring in front of him. Said he 'had to keep an eye on the float' and then proceeded to ignore it for minutes at a time. Meanwhile he was in no position to deal with the float when he got a hit on the lure.

Watched Paul Young on TV pike fishing a loch with a local expert. They both had ledgered deads out, with alarms. They proceeded to brew up and have a chat on a jetty 30 yds away, and had to jump down and plough through some bushes when one of them had a run.

The TV companies ought to be shot for allowing this stuff out on the airwaves.

And - sorry Ferret - nobody needs help landing a coarse fish, let alone weighing and photographing it. How many of us has worried about being able to land a fish when out on a solo session? Nobody. Weighing and photographing is an ego luxury that shouldn't mean a mate leaving a bunch of rods unattended. Simple as that.

Yours,

Disgusted of Somerset

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.