baits...

mike1947

do's one know about CHICK PEAS..? are they legal.? or are they harmful to the fish.. wouldn't like to use some thing i shouldn't. and if so.!!!! do you hair rig them or just hook them on..like to try some thing diffarent. !!!!!

tight lines... and have a great xmas to you all.. :)

Legal. Safe. Hook or hair. Take flavors well.

Also known as Garbanzo Beans.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

........but there are a few carp fisheries over here that don't allow nuts or pulses to be used as bait. (Chickpeas are pulses)

Somerley Lakes is one that comes to mind which must be somewhere near you Mike,there are probably others.

Good grief. Why no pulses and doesn't that cut out quite a few bait items?

Pulses (according to the Eurocode classifications)

Pea - Pisum sativum

Chick pea - Cicer arietinum

Broad bean - Vicia faba

Lentil - Lens esculenta

Common bean - Phaseolus vulgaris

Lima bean - Phaseolus lunatis

Mung bean - Phaseolus aureus

Urd bean - Phaseolus mungo

Black eye bean - Vigna unguiculata (aka Blackeye pea, Cowpea)

Soya beans - Glycine max

Carob fruit - Ceratonia siliqua

Lupin(e)s - Lupinus spp

Peanut - Arachis hypogea

Sorry Mike - I'd not heard before of any water that forbade all pulses.

[ 13. December 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There where apparent fish deaths from these baits a No of years ago the story going that an angler would use an ill prepared pulse which would subsequently swell in the fishes gut and kill it.

I think Nuts are banned in many places because they have no nutritive value to the fish.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I think Nuts are banned in many places because they have no nutritive value to the fish.

Never quite understood the above statement, though I've seen it many times in mags.

you would think they wouldn't pick them up again once they've eaten a few...but they do.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Mike,Chick Peas were one of the classic particle baits of the 70's.As allready mentioned they took a flavour and colour really well.Particle baits in general have taken a bit of a back seat to boillies over the past few years,a grat shame as they are very effective.As also allready mentioned the main reason a lot of particles are banned is that poor preperation can cause problems.

Peter,the nut(both peanut and tigernut)issue is that although very attractive to the carp due to their high oil content and relatively high nutritional value the carp can not digest them properly to release either of these.On many waters where the anglers bait provided the bulk of the carps food the fish lost weight over a few seasons of everyone using nuts.Having said all that all particles are a good bait still and cause no problems if prepared correctly (for this see any of the late 70's/80's carp books,Rod Hutchinson wrote great stuff on this subject)and used sensibley.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You know, it's funny, but if you start using the "fad" baits that have gone off the boil (no pun intended) you can have great results with them i.e. chick peas etc. :cool: :D:rolleyes: :cool: :D:rolleyes:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Totally agree with that one.Most of the Carp that would have seen the old baits "blow" will be long gone now.One of my mates did really well on maize (a bait that all the instant "Crap yobs" said was blown,despite it never having been used there!)at a well known Kent water only a couple of years ago.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!