Coarse Angling Today - Let eels become extinct

Mark7

Careful, some on here don't like the truth to be told. :rolleyes:

Or just bored with the anti Otter brigade. Don't you have a predator watch team forum to snipe about Otters on?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing i notice is you only come on here when you want something. I've never seen you offer advice to anyone, typical example is the thread a cpl below asking for advice on eel rigs etc. Nothing from you but i would expect you to be able to help.

Personally i try my hardest to avoid eels doesnt mean i dont want them to exist , i just dont want to catch them. To go on the offensive straight off is asking for trouble. And attempting to take the moral high ground only brings trouble.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Alright Guys

1st post here so it’s pretty obvious that I am a member of the NAC :D

Most anglers will be aware that the eel is in serious decline, all the NAC

Members I know are really passionate about the future of the eel and when

The article by Dan Williams was presented to us we were just gob smacked!

The following quote by Dan Williams is what really got my back up personally

(quote > Why spend money in this day and age on something that may only help a few anglers?)

It’s not about us eel anglers but eel surviving on this planet as a species that

Concern us.

I think the original posters intention was to share this article with the anglers net forum in order to drum some support for the eels plight as we are a relatively

Small specimen group and need all passionate anglers to back us when we are

Confronted with articles such as Dan Williams which could give the anti-angling

Lobbies a field day suggesting that we do not need to do everything in our power

To help prevent an extinction of a species!

Mark7 is one of the good guys who works tirelessly for the well being of the

Eel and the NAC which may account for the lack of posts from him on this forum.

I know 1st hand that Mark7 is not just passionate about eels but other species

Like pike & barbel and I think he would be the first to assist any other specimen

Group should they encounter problems that related to their favorite species.

Anyway all, thanks for taking time to read my post

I will try and drop in from time to time and if there are any anglers reading this

Who would like any advice on eel fishing, handling ECT feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help or get you the required info from the NAC

I may be brave enough to work with the Angling Trust on occassion, but I don't think I will take you up on your offer of a fishing trip, but thanks for asking. I feel that your request for an article that will "teach you all how to fish for eels with minimum impact" is mischievious rather than sincere. I have no desire to "teach" anything, and if I do submit an article to this forum it will be in my own time, and not at your request. I look forward to posting again at a later date, and enjoying your egotistic bluster once again.

That's a shame Mark as both were genuine and a kind of "olive branch". It just underlines this thing about how you only ever come on hear to "preach". What a great lost opportunity to show that's not the case by not accepting both requests in the spirit they were intended.There have been a couple of "eel threads" since you started coming on here (even one started yesterday asking for eel advice) Ive hung back hoping you would reply/join in but again you have not. Do you think that I'm that petty I would just rip apart everything you said? I'm sure there is a lot about eel fishing that we would agree on and equally as much we could all learn from each others experiences.Mind you if I did genuinely disagree with something you wrote I would certainly say so...............or is that the whole problem? Some one else suggested you may just be used to a far more compliant audience?

Well it seems I'm not going to persuade you different so I will stop trying to offer you a rope! Just read through this thread before you return to lurking again and see just how many potential supporters of the NAC and the eels plight you have lost.........and that's just the ones who have replied not counting all the other "lurkers". A shame and in a way I wish I hadn't taken you to task as this should really be about the eel and not individual men's ego's.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Welcome to AN, we can be nice on here :D

The article by Dan Williams was presented to us we were just gob smacked!

The following quote by Dan Williams is what really got my back up personally

(quote > Why spend money in this day and age on something that may only help a few anglers?)

Yeah, can't say I cared for that much myself and maybe if presented differently or we had more NEC members popping in on our eel threads when they are not here to complain then you may well have gathered a lot more support. A number of AN members where not to happy about his comments. However as others have mentioned there is a thread going about advice on eel fishing but as usual no NAC input.

We only hear from you angry young men when you want to complain :D

I'm still not sure what you hope to gain by attacking Dan Williams he may have been writing in Coarse Angling Today but with his work for Pike & Predator I thought he should be the sort of person to try to win around for your cause and would be a natural ally in your work. What do the NAC plan to gain from attacking Dan Williams other then score a few "ego" points. Is demanding retractions to his articles going to make him want to give more time and space to the NAC in Pike & Predator? But then he may well be above such petty points scoring.

we are a relatively Small specimen group and need all passionate anglers to back us when we are

Confronted with articles such as Dan Williams.

Might be bigger if you did not alienate so many potential members, I would have thought other predator anglers would be your main recruiting ground but the NAC does excel at pushing them away.

Well all the best.

Stephen

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Guest redfin2
Or just bored with the anti Otter brigade. Don't you have a predator watch team forum to snipe about Otters on?

My point was, although (I have to make it Oh so carefully) that Otters in the environment as was talked about in the article had little impact, Finepix put another scenario into the mix, which for some reason put you in spiteful mode...why so defensive?

Also I have nothing against Otters at all, I embrace all wildlife, but I have concerns about such Rivers as Finepix described.

Hope as also an Angler that is OK with you.

My point was, although (I have to make it Oh so carefully) that Otters in the environment as was talked about in the article had little impact, Finepix put another scenario into the mix, which for some reason put you in spiteful mode...why so defensive?

Also I have nothing against Otters at all, I embrace all wildlife, but I have concerns about such Rivers as Finepix described.

Hope as also an Angler that is OK with you.

Sorry Phil, but at some point lots of threads get around to Otters eating all the fish and how they need controling :rolleyes: and we where managing quiet well to have a nice little disagreement about Dan's article with out bringing Otters in to it :D

My views on Otter's are that whether they eat no fish or every single one in the country, Angling has nothing to gain by pursuing action against them and everything to loose. It's a kind of pick the battles you can win attitude, those who promote control of Otters have the potential to do some real serious damage to angling. Strangly like most Zealots, they never see the bigger picture.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

The author i believe is referring to extinction of the species as a result of the anguillicola parasite, if so this would not strictly be a natural extinction as the parasite is an alien species passed on to the European eel from Asian species as a result of uncontrolled aquaculture shipments and therefore human activity is to blame. So money should be spent if that is the case.

I am a member of the NAC amongst other groups and i would just like to say we do not focus entirely on eels, many of our members do have other angling interests and would fight for those species just as much should the need arise. As most of you already know the eel is important ecologically and surely that in itself makes it worthy of conserving, and i know some of you do support that.

May i just add before anyone suggests i should stop fishing for them, if there was definitive proof that angling is detrimental to the population i would stop. But would that then mean that angling for other species is detrimental to their populations????Whether they are in decline or not.

Sorry just read this.Yes I totally agree with what you say.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!