Bird Help

Huge_Vitae

This is a new one for me as I can ID most but perhaps age is taking its toll..............

Had a Bird in sight several times over the last few months but only at a fair distance, it is the size of a very large crow but smaller than a Buzzard, Black or very Dark Brown, as it flies it shouts a 'call' I can only describe as a low grunt similar to a pig, consistent and repetitive, rather like somebody clearing their throat, I am at a loss to identify, any ideas so I can look it up to see what it might be?

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Raven?

Quite a few around the IoW and South coast.

Definately not, more low tone and grunting, more like a pig than a crow, baffeling............, but thank you for the correct abbreviation of my 'home'..........

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Sounds like a raven to me too....diamond shaped tail and very heavy bill?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

It could be a Knot?

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Anyone thought about the Jackdaw? They can also be Brown in colour.

But quite a bit smaller than a crow - and their call invariably sounds like "jack", rather than the blood-curdling croak of a raven!

Look here for a description of the Raven. It is bigger than a Buzzard but the call sounds about right.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Huge Vitae,

I agree with all others. We don't have ravens frequent the part of the midwestern US where I live. At least not often. A neighbor a couple farms over had one as a pet. No doubt, the smartest creature I've ever seen with feathers. He said it talked.

The natural noise I would describe as a croak (somewhat frog like(?)).

Phone

Edit: this was when I was a child.

Edited by Phone