What does it take to be the TOP angler?

Phone

I would say that one has to first define what a 'TOP ANGLER' actually is. I suspect that there may be as many definitions as their are proposed qualities. For example, to some it might be somone who melts into harmony with the environment and conjours upm wonderful catches, or it may be someone who takes others fishing and gives then then best crack at the best places, to some the top angler may be one who can go to the water come back with fish and cook up a fantastic meal.

For me there is only one way to measure fishing success, it's not in lbs and ozs (nor Kg), nor is it an impressive Pb list nor a 'wide species list', but it is in the as yet unnamed 'units of fun' the very best angler is one who has the most fun, for what else do we fish for?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

In reverse as they are posted (that's how I can see them).

Emma, TOP ANGLER is the guy who's smart enough to be paid to pleasure fish (smarter than a guy with a PhD in quantum physics). In my experience they are the upper 2% who always catch the most fish. Who's opinions are sought and paid for - can consistantly show their skills under the immense pressure of public scrutiny. Kick your butt on your own venue. - - - maybe more???

Androo, Your #3 ??

Kappa, I admire #4 - they "all" seem to do it don't they? Yea - I wish I could have thought of something better than "think like a fish". The good guys, given the chance, always know where to fish and don't have an explaination. If you fish with them they will put you on more fish also.

Redfin, Tenacious might be another word. Mentally they don't blank. They may cast a thousand times to the same place but they have a persistent, stubborn attitude there is a fish in that spot.

Renrag, I used to think that also. It seems to me throughout the years the "harder these guys work, the luckier they get". Certainly "luck" can play a role in catching the odd "specimen" fish. Even among professionals, the best of the best rise to the top.

Tigger, Of course, either Phone or the expert have to have fish in front of them. Equally, I thought about the "money" angle. Fishing is not cheap. You have to be able to go and go and go to become a top angler. There are other "life" conditions I left out on purpose.

ayjay, You, Kappa, and I agree. Maybe #4 could be the "secret" most important.

Phone

2. Think like a fish

3. Supreme confidence (a degree of arrogance) :thumbs:

4. Attention to detail, posh gear (the true 'tarts' really DO catch more fish IMO) :thumbdown:

Errrm iv'e amended your list slightly, i must reinforce the tart one, no they don't. B):P

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest redfin2
:lol: :lol: and you claim your not team man/rabbit :lol:

I don't belive you even own a rod and reel never mind any bling tackle :rolleyes:

Touched a nerve? :)

I reckon as a general definition, the top angler is the one who consistently achieves what they set out to do - whether that's catching big fish, winning matches, catching an impressive list of PBs, enjoying themselves the most, learning new techniques, sussing out new waters, developing new ideas - and who does it all to please themselves and not to impress others. All the best anglers I know shun the limelight. Generally speaking I'm convinced that 'famous' anglers are famous because they want to be famous, not because they are the most talented. Most are very good and I'm not suggesting otherwise, but I'm sure we all know people who are equally good if not better who could be in their shoes if they wanted to be.

Phone, impatience means being proactive and making changes to turn situations around, rather than just accepting that 'today is just not my lucky day'.

Redfin2/Rabbit/Teme Man, psychologically there's something rather worrying about a man who pretends to be 3 different people on an anonymous forum.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I reckon as a general definition, the top angler is the one who consistently achieves what they set out to do - whether that's catching big fish, winning matches, catching an impressive list of PBs, enjoying themselves the most, learning new techniques, sussing out new waters, developing new ideas - and who does it all to please themselves and not to impress others. All the best anglers I know shun the limelight. Generally speaking I'm convinced that 'famous' anglers are famous because they want to be famous, not because they are the most talented. Most are very good and I'm not suggesting otherwise, but I'm sure we all know people who are equally good if not better who could be in their shoes if they wanted to be.

Phone, impatience means being proactive and making changes to turn situations around, rather than just accepting that 'today is just not my lucky day'.

All that makes sense to me. I reckon to be a famous (Top) angler you need money/ sponsering or you wouldn't have enough time to fish (especially with a full time job). Also you'd need contacts to put you in the limelight as in all walks of life. The right contacts can make a average angler into a top angler overnight.

However you define it I would have have no interest in being a top angler.

The only quality I would be interested in developing is Emma's enjoyment of what I do and a quiet satisfaction when thing go the way I wanted.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest redfin2

Redfin2/Rabbit/Teme Man, psychologically there's something rather worrying about a man who pretends to be 3 different people on an anonymous forum.

Even more of a worry that you and a few others seemed obsessed by this story that was started by Tigger wasn't it?

Even it was true and I was all three of these people what would be my motivation for doing so? Was Rabbit banned and what for?

Was Teme Man banned and what for?

EDIT

If you think I am an alias x2 then I really don't think I can post on here with all this conjecture, it really makes it impossible for me, so unless I get some Mod help on here I will call it a day and you can await your next 'victim'.

I had the impression this site seemed to much like the same posters post all the time despite a large membership, perhaps some are put off by posting, hardly surprising when this is an example of how new members are treated.

Edited by redfin2

I'm with Emma and Sportsman on this one. If you could quantify the fun factor and take it into account then I'm sure you'll find that some of the Top Anglers lack in that department.

I'm just going by the general demeanor of the 'bivvy brigade' I have spoken to (grunted to).

It becomes like any job can become to some, a shackle that stops them pursuing other techniques/species/even different pastimes. Maybe?

I think the best way to measure the fun factor would probably be enthusiasm.

Me, for example, meet me on the bank and I'll bend your ear until you wished for the sweet relief of death :P I'm enthusiastic, annoyingly so. Now I'm not saying I'm anything like a Top Angler by any stretch, but I'm happy if I blank. For me, it's enough. It's what I want.

So, my question to you Phone, is; Do you, or any of you, really want the added 'pressure' of being a 'Top Angler' marring your enjoyment of your sport?

I admit I envy them to a degree but I also pity them in a way. Not much, but a bit... ;)

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue