Fish Eyesight - Camo

Elton

Serious question here, so please don't use this thread to have a go at fellow anglers.....

Having seen a big spread on camo buckets the other day, I began to wonder whether disruptive pattern material actually has any effect on what a fish sees?

Predators are usually "camo'd" themselves, so I suppose it must have a bearing underwater. However, would an angler in a camo outfit be any better hidden from a wary fish than one in a plain green top?

I'd be interested to know the real answer to that.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno Elton.....but what I do know is that I have seen people in camo outfits on my local stillwater, punching baits out 100+ yds....

IMO, they may as well be wearing a hi-vis outfit..

any thoughts?

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

If it made a difference then Jan Porter would have had a pretty crap match career!

Movement scares fish not colour or pattern.

Mind you its the price of this camo gear that frightens me!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm with Budgie as usual - especially regarding movement. But I'd have thought a moving red object would stand out more than a moving green one against vegetation.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

i really dont think that cano makes too much difference although it really doesnt hurt, movement, sillhouete and shadow are the most important aspects of concealment.

what really makes me smile though is all this realtree camo. most of it is no better at camo than standard british army DPM (disruptive pattern material). realtree stuff was designed for use in the states, half of the time here you will stand out with realtree as the coloyrs/ pattern are all wrong. DPM was designed as it gave the best camo effect to match the intended theatre of war, europe, and as such is just as good. i do a lot of shooting, including a lot with air rifles and i ditched the realtree stuff a while back, it just wasnt right.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

I would of thought a bit of camo helps as a fish would find it harder to see an angler moving slowley wearing camo as apposed to unnatural colours against a natural background.

With this in mind drab colours probabley have the same effect as camo.

I have been wearing camo and had fish feed at my feet.

I have also been wearing camo sitting frozen still as a carp has come up to the surface to take floating baits and the buggers have spotted me and shot off quick.

DPM is designed to break up the silotte/shape of the person wearing it not to camoflage them.

This is acheived by adding various parts of the foilage to elastic straps sewn to the clothing.

Realtree was designed for hunting in North American woodland.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Do fish see in colour anyway?

What does something red look like if you take a black and white photo of it?

How many anglers in camo gear cover their face with something? White faces in bankside undergrowth show up from a very long way away.

I just wear drab clothing, keep well back from the edge on rivers and try and keep movement to a minimum.

ajp:

Do fish see in colour anyway?

What  does  something red look like if you take a black and white photo of it?

How many anglers in camo gear cover their face with something?  White faces in bankside undergrowth show up from a very long way away.

I just wear drab clothing, keep well back from the edge on rivers and try and keep movement to a minimum.

Yes, our coarse fish can see in colour - see the recent topic.

I agree with you about the white face. Some anglers I know have worn a veil to good effect, a beekeeper's one I believe and origanally tried to keep out mossies. Mind you, the way a few of these guys look would be enough to scare anything!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net