Azraels Dish of the Day

azrael

i enjoy cooking a lot and may have upset some poeple by talking about my best fish to eat and so people are thinking that i only fish to catch them and eat them which is not true so i thought it would be nice to share some of my recipes with you and hope that you will want to share your recipes with me and others.

i know jw likes my receipes :thumbs:

so i will start with a nice sausage recipe as we have been talking about sausages in another thread

you will need a very big pot and its best if it has a lid but if it does not you can put foil over the top as it does the same thing

you will also need a frying pan

ingredients that you will for the receipe this should make enough for about 4 people but if you are a big lad then maybe you will want to eat it all yourself

olive oil

400 g shallots

3 clove of crushed garlic

10 of your best sausages what ever you like

200 g bacon rashers, chopped

2 stripes of belly of pork

1 tbls (20 g) plain flour (All purpose)

half bottle of red wine

half bottle of water

1 turnip

bag of carrots and parsnips

2 potatoes per servings

2 bay leaf

2 cans chopped tomatoes or you can use real ones

300 g button mushrooms

salt and freshly ground black pepper

mixed herbs/spices use the ones you like

the way to do the cooking

1. fry the chopped bacon and belly of pork until they start to crispand put in to a casserole dish

2. fry the shallots and garlic in olive oil when they start to caramalise then add to casserole dish

3. next fry the sausages but only until they have a little colour and when they start to show some colour add the wine and water and gently simmer adding the flour and carry on simmering for half an hour and then add to casserole dish

4. add the tomatoes and herns to mixture and stire well in

5. last add the mushrooms up to you if you peel or leave skin on

6. peel potatoes turnip, carrot and parsnips and chop in to pieces. they can be par boiled but i like to add them raw and add to casserole

7. add salt, pepper, spices and herbs to your taste

8. put lid on pot and put in oven and leave for 2 to 3 hours to cook away

the good thing is you can change the ingrediants, so if you are irish you could use guoiness and not wine or if welsh you can add leeks the combinations available are only as much as your imagination

i posted this link in another thread but has some french sausage if you would like to try something new maybe use your best sausage and add a little bit of something new

https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/c-76-speciali...mp;res=#results

hope you like my recipe and maybe try it and willing to share your recipes.

thank you

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today we will be cooking pigeon pie

the ingredients you will need for this receipe are listed below

5 or 6 best pigeons they need to be skinned and chopped up

1lb rump steak

6 slices of streaky bacon

4 clove garlic

chopped onion

4 oz butter

pepper and salt to taste

herbs to taste which ever ones you like

4 eggs

chicken stock

5 potatoes

pastry

chop and dice the steak and put in to the bottom of pie dish

lightly fry the pigeons in butter or olive oil if you like that more and add salt and pepper when they start to get some colour add them to pie dish and lay the bacon strips over them

next fry the onions and garlic until they start to caramalise and add to dish and sprinkle your herbs and spice over them

bring chicken stock to boil its good to do this in frying pan to get all the extra flavours and pour over meat

boil potatoes and add to dish to make a layer over all the meats

next roll out pastry and cover dish but before you put in the oven wash it with egg yolk

cook at gas mark 5 for 2 hours and then should be ready to eat

its a very good meal to warm you up after coming in from pike fishing in the winter or from shooting

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

whats the point of mixing up ingredients so everything tastes the same ,if you use meat just boil it and drink the water! putting in garlic makes garlic the taste in that case forget everything else and chew a clove of garlic.

in a fraction of the time i could scoff a plate of sprouts and they being the sole thing on the plate would taste exactly like sprouts, the thing i wanted to taste in the first place :rolleyes:

my mrs does strange dishes consisting of different things on a plate ,i merely eat one thing then another so i can taste whatever it is ,you might as well liquidise it into baby food if you like mixing tastes up :blink:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

next days recipe will be a special treat for chesters

Azree

Why would you want to chop up the pigeons and fill the pie with broken bones? Far better to remove the meat from the breast bone. Its such an easy job.

4 cloves of garlic?? Far to much, one is plenty.

2 hours cooking is far to long for rump steak, if its going to be cooked that long a cheaper cut of beef will do and it will have more fat to help balance the lean pigeon.

Why would you want to chop up the pigeons and fill the pie with broken bones? Far better to remove the meat from the breast bone. Its such an easy job.

4 cloves of garlic?? Far to much, one is plenty.

2 hours cooking is far to long for rump steak, if its going to be cooked that long a cheaper cut of beef will do and it will have more fat to help balance the lean pigeon.

thank you for the comments it's a very good idea about the steal and a more fatty cut would do a good job. it is a rural ruff dish and there are many variations you can add or take away bits

the pigeons are ruff chopped as it is in keeping with the style of cooking sort of ruff and ready but does mean danger and effort with bones

they can be boned if have skill and time and as its your own version you can use as much or little garlic as you like but i like lots

very good comments to improve recipe thank you

Azree

the whole pigeon thing is problematic ,theres not much meat other than the breasts anyway so you may as well boil the rest as stock and remove the carcass before cooking and add the breasts and any other scraps you can get off the bones to the stock and chuck the bones.

pidgeon in the country is a luxury today it costs more to shoot them than they are worth unless you enjoy shooting as a sport.plenty of road kill pheasants though to bulk up pies if you like game

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Was told an easy way to get a pigeon breast out without the hassle. Push firmly on either side of the breastbone until the skin splits, then just 'fillet' them out.

Only bit worth eating imo.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

the whole pigeon thing is problematic ,theres not much meat other than the breasts anyway so you may as well boil the rest as stock and remove the carcass before cooking and add the breasts and any other scraps you can get off the bones to the stock and chuck the bones.

pidgeon in the country is a luxury today it costs more to shoot them than they are worth unless you enjoy shooting as a sport.plenty of road kill pheasants though to bulk up pies if you like game

that is a problem with the pigeons the lack of meat thats why i find it just eeasy to chop them up and add them that way but i am used to picking the bones out as i eat hearty country food. my friend dominic just adds the pigeons whole and then just pulls them apart as he eats not a very refined way to dine

great ideas to improve the recipe and i do like the idea of using pheasants

you can use what ever game bird you have or even use chicken or any poultry if you can not get game

just using the pigeon brest would make the pie a more luxurious dish and likely to appeal to more people

the more i hear ideas the more i think that it is not so good to add the pigeon chopped it is much better to just add the meat and using the bones to make the stock would increase the flavour :thumbs:

Edited by azrael

Azree