a ban on holidays?

barry luxton

There's more to education than books and passing exams! a kid that never leaves his home town untill his 18th birthday is IMHO going to be a less well rounded and adaptable than a kid that has travelled, seen some of the world and interacted with different cultures!

I agree, term time holidays are not ideal, but If I'm forced to make the choice between term time or no holiday I'll be taking my kids out for a few days quality time with Mum and Dad

Mat

I did not say that my children do not travel nor said they should not do so. But they do so at the appropriate time and IMHO in school term time it is not appropriate.

In the working environment as an adult you do things at the appropriate time not when Mum & Dad say it is convenient.

Either as an employer, self employed or an employed person your life is governed by rules.

Are we not training our children to live in an adult world?

School time is for schooling. School holidays are for holidays.

What is never tasted can never be missed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not say that my children do not travel nor said they should not do so. But they do so at the appropriate time and IMHO in school term time it is not appropriate.

In the working environment as an adult you do things at the appropriate time not when Mum & Dad say it is convenient.

Either as an employer, self employed or an employed person your life is governed by rules.

Are we not training our children to live in an adult world?

School time is for schooling. School holidays are for holidays.

What is never tasted can never be missed.

So what happens if your in employment as a nurse or in the hospitality/retail industry or driving the buses, there will be many more i'm sure.

They all don't get normal holidays so are they expected to miss out on having a holiday with their kids.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

i'm surprised a school can fine parents for taking their brats on holiday in term time ,last time i looked that was up to the courts :angry: perhaps schools are hoping you cannot afford to take your kids on holiday (and its not just abroad! to rent a patch of grass is over £150 a week in high season in some places) so they can get more money for teachers tea breaks etc

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i'm surprised a school can fine parents for taking their brats on holiday in term time ,last time i looked that was up to the courts :angry: perhaps schools are hoping you cannot afford to take your kids on holiday (and its not just abroad! to rent a patch of grass is over £150 a week in high season in some places) so they can get more money for teachers tea breaks etc
Where in the article does it say anything about schools being able to fine anyone?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

it doesn't i listened to a bit on the TV ,the head teacher repeatedly said but they have x weeks to take a holiday ,stupid woman never realised the high prices covered most of them.

she said she had the power to fine parents from £50 a week upwards! ,remember councils can fine you for pretty much anything .

in our early days in our last council house we were "fined" £30 or more than one occasion for being a day late with the rent "court costs" it was called without ever going to court ,fines for dropping a fag end based on the opinion of another etc etc

the terms below mean that parents can already be fined not that its just starting

"The move, to be accompanied by tougher fines for parents of children who regularly play truant, follows a review of school discipline and attendance by teacher and behaviour expert Charlie Taylor."

heres the gumf where someone who with a modicum of power can fine you ,just as litter pickers can fine you on their opinion you dropped litter in the street

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/School...chool/DG_066966

"Penalty notices

As an alternative to prosecution, authorised local authority staff, police officers and headteachers can issue penalty notices to parents of children who are not attending school regularly. The penalty is £50, rising to £100 if not paid within 28 days. If you fail to pay a penalty fine, you will be prosecuted."

IMHO the councils and government due to the police's poor arrest rate are punishing people for pseudo "crimes" dreamt up to supplement lost revenue from other sources ,this leaves the police to issue tickets for their own rather than protect the people or fight real crime in the citizens mind

IE get a job in the council and dream up crimes so you can get money to keep your job

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

So what happens if your in employment as a nurse or in the hospitality/retail industry or driving the buses, there will be many more i'm sure.

They all don't get normal holidays so are they expected to miss out on having a holiday with their kids.

Cheers Fred

When you have children your own needs become secondary.

In any Industry you can choose your Holiday to coincide with school holidays. Not many have fixed holidays.

You get 28 days + Bank Holidays.

If a parent wants to pull children out of school to go on holiday I say their choice but personally I feel that a parents job is to do the best possible for their child[ren] and a holiday in school time is not necessary.

My priority is to make sure my children achieve the very best they can from school to help them be the very best they can be as adults. TBH I wish my parents had done this for me but they were the opposite.

does it matter once they get to leave they will get an arm full of useless GCSE's and if they go onto uni they will all get A1 degrees ,lets get more losers to balance things out

i never took our kids out of school for holidays we never had holidays

Edited by chesters1

heres the gumf where someone who with a modicum of power can fine you ,just as litter pickers can fine you on their opinion you dropped litter in the street

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/School...chool/DG_066966

"Penalty notices

As an alternative to prosecution, authorised local authority staff, police officers and headteachers can issue penalty notices to parents of children who are not attending school regularly. The penalty is £50, rising to £100 if not paid within 28 days. If you fail to pay a penalty fine, you will be prosecuted."

IMHO the councils and government due to the police's poor arrest rate are punishing people for pseudo "crimes" dreamt up to supplement lost revenue from other sources ,this leaves the police to issue tickets for their own rather than protect the people or fight real crime in the citizens mind

IE get a job in the council and dream up crimes so you can get money to keep your job

So do you really think that the £50 penalty charged by the school goes into the schools tea fund?

Dropping litter and not sending your children to school are not pseudo crimes. I get a laugh from some of the posters on here. Always on about how important law and order is, but happy to cherry-pick which laws are worth obeying and which aren't themselves, but hell mend you if you commit the hideous offence of going for a dangle for a couple of scabby chub without a permit and they would have all the legions of hell after you.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

In any Industry you can choose your Holiday to coincide with school holidays. Not many have fixed holidays.
Sorry mate but you are back to posting hogwash again. My own father and his before him were both farm workers. Farm workers get there holidays when they are told they can have them, they can't just book a fortnights holiday whenever you like, and you are extremely unlikely to be given holidays during either the Easter Holidays (that would be lambing season) or the Summer Holidays (far to close to harvest). I used to have my summer holidays at one of my aunt's, but my parents would not have been there. The family holidays we did have were spent in Hame'l'daeme, with perhaps the odd day trip to Largs or a sail "Doon the Water" on a paddle steamer, namely the Waverley.

So do you really think that the £50 penalty charged by the school goes into the schools tea fund?

Dropping litter and not sending your children to school are not pseudo crimes. I get a laugh from some of the posters on here. Always on about how important law and order is, but happy to cherry-pick which laws are worth obeying and which aren't themselves, but hell mend you if you commit the hideous offence of going for a dangle for a couple of scabby chub without a permit and they would have all the legions of hell after you.

where would it go? straight to the government for theirs?

theres crime and crime ,ignore real crime like burglary its to hard to catch the blighters so make up the odds with pseudo crime like dropping a fag end where you can issue an on the spot fine and bank it by nightfall ,even the police are up to it ,retaliate to a copper goading you as you lie snuggly

in the gutter saturday night after a drink or two and you get an on the spot fine ,going by lots of instances on TV the original "crime" the police stopped you for is dropped and the sentence for telling the police to F off and leave you alone ,generally a £80 on the spot fine ,nice and dandy for the biscuit fund back at the station

ask anyone would they prefer police to concentrate on thugs ,burglars and thiefs or dropping a fag end or taking your kid out of school a week early and i would be very surprised the majority picked the latter 2 ,being fined for not having your rubbish exported to china or india is ridiculous ,as for government approval to fish in your own pond its just as stupid

when i bailiff i check for club permits i do not work as a tax investigator for the government and whether an angler can use a rod tax

saw the waverley off nab tower once a fine ship

have fun

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/waverley.htm

never been on that one but probably this less pretty ferry or its companions on trips to fife to see inlaws

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=11780

Edited by chesters1