The 3m Farce

Dick Dastardly

I was more interested in peoples veiws re the rule to be honest not whether its right/wrong to break them.

No problem but I ask this:

If the distance was increased by law would anglers stick within the new limits and how far should the new limit be?

I can see the arguments, both pros and cons from both sides of the fence on this one and dont hold a clear view myself.

Slightly off subject and I could be talking rubbish but:

One question I would ask is what do the baliffs use to measure the distance between rods with?

I would have thought that the weights and measures act 1985 would require such a tool to be yearly tested for calibration and then certified much like speed guns have to be.

If not how could the findings of such a tool be used legally in a court of law?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting points Rudd.I accept that no matter what "limit" was brought in people would break it but that of course can be said for all rules. I also accept that even though the principle of a bailiff being able to use his discretion you simply couldn't have that if you intend to prosecute/enforce a rule even as its obviously to open to interpretation. I'm raising the issue more because of what I see as double standards.

If ever I get caught breaking the rule and taken to court I will remember to question how the distance was in fact measured and if a tool was used had it been (and if so when) certified/calibrated!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE,

If you were cited what would be the penalty? Would it be "worth" going to court? Or, would going to court be a matter of the principal's principle. Would you deny the violation of 3m (if you knew they were obviously more than 3m) based on a faulty measuring device. I wouldn't.

Phone

I dont know mate to be honest.The way British Justice works I would be found guilty regardless of if the rule is right or wrong or any extenuating circumstances I would still be breaking it.

I might be tempted to go just for the opportunity of bringing the stupidity of the rule into question but sadly (as this thread proves) most anglers wouldn't have a clue about the issue/not care as it didn't affect them directly or simply look down their noses as they are holier than though anglers! So no it wouldn't be worth it.

But I might be tempted (even just to avoid a big fine) to lie and say I wasn't breaking the rule and question how the bailiff measured the distance and indeed did he have the credibility to claim such without witnesses! All a bit hypothetical though as there is probably just as much chance of seeing a bailiff as there is of me following this rule to be honest.

Once again my intention here is simply to try and explain why the rules is broken and hope that the many anglers who support it and condemn my actions actually take a look at the hypocrisy of their own situation.

A well known Pike angler got pulled up for it a few years back (Dennis Moules erm an ex copper I also believe?) by ironically the very same bailiff he had summoned to report an illegal set line/predator removal operation (The one time editor of Angling Times Peter Collins affair) ! I will ask him if they did end up prosecuting and if so what he was finned.

I might be tempted to go just for the opportunity of bringing the stupidity of the rule into question but sadly (as this thread proves) most anglers wouldn't have a clue about the issue/not care as it didn't affect them directly or simply look down their noses as they are holier than though anglers! So no it wouldn't be worth it.

Most people will have never done it or never will do it, and so will have a very strong opinion that it is completely wrong :rolleyes: Just like everything else.

In the fens it was pretty standard practice, especially when leapfrogging rods. I never used more than 2 rods personally, but they were usually over 3m apart. Miles of straight, open bank, no other anglers, alert, actively fishing and fishing effectively - honestly, where's the harm?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

BUDGIE,

I understand your "purpose" and it has been/is an interesting thread. There was a time I felt like I was "above" a stupid rule or two. Now, only ignorance would put me in that position. Someday, I would like to "see" a copy of ALL the conflicting rules in American angling - state by state. It would blow your mind. For example In Virginia, the use of a striking iron is a legal method for taking nongame fish in certain waters in certain counties. They don't name the waters or the counties. You guys use "striking irons"? Virginia doesn't define them either.

Phone

Brian,

Exactly!

Virginia doesn't say either. I've always assumed you could "thump" non-game fish with an iron bat (we do stuff like that). Equally, they don't say where this is legal execpt to say in "certain" waters in "certain" counties.

The short answer is I don't know what a striking iron is.

Phone

The four rod rule was introduced at a time when pike fishing on The Broads was at a wonderful peak. The four rod rule, when linked to the 3m 'farce', is to my way of thinking a selfish, short-sighted mistake. It might well be acceptable for carp anglers on controlled, private waters, but for pike fishing it has coincided with a growing and catastrophic drop off in the quality of sport across East Anglia if not further a field.

Edited by Peter Waller