The 3m Farce

Dick Dastardly

With the amount of enforcement of fishing related laws (i.e. virtually none) I see no benefit in trying to get them changed to be honest!

Going back to Dales first response this is the frustrating thing they seem to mainly prosecute the 3 rod one licence angler or this 3m sort of rule not often the more serious problems.

I have lost count of how many times as a fishing club we have contacted EA about fishing after march 15th and we always get unless there are over 5 its not worth us attending.

John

Edited by John Weddup

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See Brians post #27 mate.

In fact here it is as worded by the EA-

When fishing with multiple rods and lines, rods must be placed such that the distance between the butts of the

end rods does not exceed three metres.

So if you were fishing on a peninsula, you could arrange your four rods in a 3m x 3m square :D

BUDGIE,

I indeed misunderstood. I thought they had to be at a distance "greater" than 3m apart. Neither way has much logic unless you are allowed "unlimited" number of rods.

Brian, no, I'm saying that about your quoted comment. I hardly ever know when a fish will strike - or two fish will strike or direction or size or any number of other variables over which I have NO control. Maybe I also misunderstand what "control" means also. I can usually keep a rod from bouncing into the water. What is control? Maybe that's why I fish ONE rod.

Phone

Personally I don't think that I have control of more than two rods at any one time, whatever I'm fishing for so, I never use more than two. If I do use two rods they will always be where I can reach them from where I'm sitting. Not just because of the law but because that's how I feel comfortable with it (I rarely fish two rods in freshwater).

As regards the law? Well, I guess it was put in place as a fish welfare issue, to prevent Noddies (look it up Phone :rolleyes: ) from being....well, Noddies. I suppose on crowded crap puddles it probably causes fights between drunken 'anglers'.

The bloke got caught (unfortunate to be seen by a bailiff I'll grant you) but, he was breaking the rules, what's the bailiff supposed to do, let him off?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Imposed regulation will always be more draconian than self-regulation, and will always err massively on the side of caution to deal with those don't have a modicum of common sense or those who deliberately bend the rules to give them an idea of some slight advantage.

An alternative has been suggested on this thread of 15m, which helps to demonstrate why self-regulation would fail. That's almost the length of two buses, or half a blue whale if you prefer more aquatic-based measuring systems, and to my mind rods that far apart can not be described as being under adequate control under any circumstances. Even if there were some rare situations where it was possible (Dean Macey fishing a long flat stretch of reservoir bank perhaps?) to have 15m as a standard would give a green light to the idiots of the world, and there'd be little that could be done about it.

Worms,

Noddies - ohh we have them. The state of NJ allows 11 "hook points" at one time per license. Been there done that. For some predators they often max out with a 9 point lure (three triple hooks) and two 1 point trailer hooks. For bank fishing with bait you can see 11 eleven rods strung up and down the bank each with a single hook. If fishing is good to average the noddies look like one armed paper hangers.

I confess, when I was younger catching was far more important than it is now.

BUDGIE,

I tried to find the "rule" in the EA regulations. What would it be called? Surely there is an explaination for the logic behind such a rule(?)

Phone

Looking at the post above it would seem to me to demonstrate exactly what's wrong with anglings "ban everything I don't like brigade" and a classic response from someone who it would seem has very little concept of fishing multiple rods over a set distance

To put 15m into a different perspective its little more than 5 strides from your chair to the outermost rod

Brian,

I conceed you are exactly correct. We have trot lines, we have jug lines, we have bank lines. None of these or a variaty of other methods is deemed a sporting "concept of fishing multiple rods over a set distance" as you say. Why don't you tell me what a "reasonable angler" should be able to expect if he is sport fishing catch and release. Appearently, you think at least 4 rods within 9 steps is "sporting" You're right - I dont.

Phone

Looking at the post above it would seem to me to demonstrate exactly what's wrong with anglings "ban everything I don't like brigade" and a classic response from someone who it would seem has very little concept of fishing multiple rods over a set distance

To put 15m into a different perspective its little more than 5 strides from your chair to the outermost rod

If that's aimed at me I could reply by saying that this demonstrates everything that wrong with angling's, "I want to do it, so it's OK" brigade, but I won't. I pointed out why regulation might be necessary, I gave a personal opinion on what constitutes adequate control (based on my personal idea of what angling is, and so it doesn't really matter either way). This is a forum, yes? For an exchange of differing views?

It might be 5 strides from your chair to the outermost rod, if you have your chair placed optimally, but you're not the only person who's ever thought of going piking, are you? This is why, sadly, legislation has to cater for the lowest common denominator. 15m might be feasible for someone with effective bite indication, who stays alert and ready to deal with any indication throughout a session, but it's also far enough (IMO) to give far too much latitude to the pillocks on the bank.

Phone

It would seem our two posts crossed and has caused you some confusion, my post was directed at the one above yours from Latimera

Having read and reread your last post, I still don't know what it is you're trying to say but from my perspective and using fishing rods and reels I have no problems using multiple rods nor do I have a problem with others fishing for other different species using multiple rods

Every responsible angler fishing with multiple rods uses some form of baitrunner or open bail arm system along with drop off bite indicators coupled with bite alarms and sometimes with floats as well so the level of attention they pay to any indication of a take is quite detailed and if a fish is running then they're not eating or swallowing baits or hooks so there won't be problems with deep hooking or un sporting aspects of fishing using techniques as described, in fact a multi rod user is probably more tuned in to his or her gear than is commonly acknowledged, any deep hooking that can occur will happen before a fish sets off on a run and can occur without even showing on the alarms and drop offs

A few steps, in this case some 5 or so steps in either direction to give 15 yards is not unsporting or foolish but perfectly practicle and very easy to do whilst keeping very good control over your gear