Checked today by E.A. bailiff, interesting conversation

John Weddup

"may seize any fish and any instrument, vessel, vehicle or other thing liable to be forfeited in pursuance of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Bailiff#England_and_Wales

they have the same power as a police constable

I think that statement pertains more to the taking of fish. e.g netting and stealing fish. (Its the same section) If caught the net will be confiscated. Or if someone was stealing big carp for selling on, they would use a 'Vessel' and more than likely a 'vehicle'.

If you have a Rod License and are too far from your rods or breaking other etiquette rules, you would never get your gear confiscated. It contravenes "The Theft Act 1968" Also, say you were on a club water where you weren't a member, their own club bailiffs can't confiscate anything from you, again, as long as you have a Rod License. All they can do is ask you to get off their premises.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that statement pertains more to the taking of fish. e.g netting and stealing fish. (Its the same section) If caught the net will be confiscated. Or if someone was stealing big carp for selling on, they would use a 'Vessel' and more than likely a 'vehicle'.

If you have a Rod License and are too far from your rods or breaking other etiquette rules, you would never get your gear confiscated. It contravenes "The Theft Act 1968" Also, say you were on a club water where you weren't a member, their own club bailiffs can't confiscate anything from you, again, as long as you have a Rod License. All they can do is ask you to get off their premises.

heres the act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/51

a fixed penalty would be more lucrative though

personally i never look at rod licences and they are proffered fairly often ,i prefer the government to do their own searches for tax defaulters

there maybe a later act but i'm not bothered to look

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I missed this thread when it was first posted.

I walked up to see the 6 anglers within about 200 yards of me as I packed up to see how they had got on. I said how nice ity was to see the EA bailiff and none of them had seen him. He had driven straight past them all sitting on seatboxes with single rods. Anyone knowing the area knows the road runs beside the river and in this area you can see anglers clearly from the car.

He only stopped at my bivvy and his first question was can I see both of your rod licences. This confirms by previous suspiscions. They see 3 rod anglers as easy targets.

Sounds like rather than seeing a three rod angler as an easy target, he wasn't prepared to tackle six blokes who might have been together because he lacked the bottle to do his job.

Did he say what he did with the "group of 3 covering 200 yards with 12 rods and no licences" or chaps fishing goldfish or was he just recounting how widely the law is ignored without having the balls to enforce it?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

why bother trying to give fixed penalties to people who you cannot prove who they are when you can fine a person whos licence is in your hand

cost and effect

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think if they do have to use their limited manpower/time/resources (as they are allways telling us that's the problem) selectively then it makes sense they target three rod guys (as its such a prevalent offence) to raise their number of "captures" and therefore recover their "outlay" via fines................

Trouble is (and I dont give a hoot in this case about whats fair or "victimisation"/"discrimination" etc) I personally feel that there will be just as many (if not more) single rod/casual/pleasure anglers with out a licence full stop as there are people sneaking an extra rod on the one. I personally feel more animosity to the guy with NO licence that the one who has at least one.

In my neck of the woods it is well known that certain commercial waters are targetted on a regular basis whereas most club waters have never had a visit.

The reason is very simple - these commercials attract bivvy/stella combo type anglers who fish a few times a year and dont bother with a licence.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

its the amazing power these tin pot nazis have that astonishes me ,the power of arrest for using one rod more than the draconian licence says you can ,not only that confiscation of the fishing tackle and car if their mrs had a headache the night before

Having met many EA staff over the years your offensive description shouldn't go unchallenged. Tell us . do you have a problem with EVERY official and legal provision relating to the sport?

if they have power instigated for tax reasons yes ,a rod license is a tax like the old dog licence it does nothing to show the holder has any qualification they have other than they paid a tax.

if the gov taxed breath they could and i have no doubt tin pot nazis would be checking you paid the breath tax ,if i'm offered a rod licence when out and about i dont even look at it i am not a government tax enforcer

all the EA do around here is remove course fish from the river but strangely return any trout they find ,is my rod tax not good enough to let me course fish in my own village?

the last one i met was a pompous little ****, demanding not asking to see my rod licence and was obviously **** off when he found i wasn't actually fishing ,i bet he was getting ready to show his power with some underling he had power over ,unfortunately he just flustered and hopefully crashed on the way home was trapped by the feet and died when the van caught fire.he actually assaulted me thinking back grabbing me by the shoulder as i ignored him on a couple off occasions as i walked along the bank ,after all if i am not fishing nor carrying a rod he has no authority over me ,obviasly a simpleton just saying i was fishing in these days of overwhelming power would get a conviction thats the trouble with the law today ,perhaps if i was alone on the bank with no witnesses our tin pot nazi would have gone ahead?

and yes i do have a concern far to many people have far to much power today ,especially councils ,"authorities" and other self opinionated levels of society that crave or get it for little reason other than they need it so they can consider themselves better than everyone else

you may think it strange the above from a club bailiff ,the trouble is you dont know me ,my "work" is purely for the free permit ,i am the most laid back person you will find and only the most severe and stupidest (and you find stupid fairly often) breaches of rules is taken further ,most anglers are advised rather than abused to mend their ways ,i have even donated bits and bobs to anglers who cannot afford to buy their own giving them (at least on my patch) no excuse for the excuse they used in the future :D

most at the pond know me by name ,i havnt a clue what theirs is its of no interest to me all i do is collect numbers and advise when asked! throwing my weight about is best left to the others who crave being a bailiff for other reasons who can afford a permit if they wish but crave something else ,most i hope to keep an eye on their favourite water but i'm sure others have the power thing in mind!

Edited by chesters1

Sounds like rather than seeing a three rod angler as an easy target, he wasn't prepared to tackle six blokes who might have been together because he lacked the bottle to do his job.

Or that he recognised them and knew they all had licenses.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

if they have power instigated for tax reasons yes ,a rod license is a tax like the old dog licence it does nothing to show the holder has any qualification they have other than they paid a tax.

if the gov taxed breath they could and i have no doubt tin pot nazis would be checking you paid the breath tax ,if i'm offered a rod licence when out and about i dont even look at it i am not a government tax enforcer

all the EA do around here is remove course fish from the river but strangely return any trout they find ,is my rod tax not good enough to let me course fish in my own village?

the last one i met was a pompous little ****, demanding not asking to see my rod licence and was obviously **** off when he found i wasn't actually fishing ,i bet he was getting ready to show his power with some underling he had power over ,unfortunately he just flustered and hopefully crashed on the way home was trapped by the feet and died when the van caught fire.he actually assaulted me thinking back grabbing me by the shoulder as i ignored him on a couple off occasions as i walked along the bank ,after all if i am not fishing nor carrying a rod he has no authority over me ,obviasly a simpleton just saying i was fishing in these days of overwhelming power would get a conviction thats the trouble with the law today ,perhaps if i was alone on the bank with no witnesses our tin pot nazi would have gone ahead?

and yes i do have a concern far to many people have far to much power today ,especially councils ,"authorities" and other self opinionated levels of society that crave or get it for little reason other than they need it so they can consider themselves better than everyone else

you may think it strange the above from a club bailiff ,the trouble is you dont know me ,my "work" is purely for the free permit ,i am the most laid back person you will find and only the most severe studiedness (and you find stupid fairly often) breaches of rules is taken further ,most anglers are advised rather than abused to mend their ways ,i have even donated bits and bobs to anglers who cannot afford to buy their own giving them (at least on my patch) no excuse for the excuse they used in the future :D

most at the pond know me by name ,i havnt a clue what theirs is its of no interest to me all i do is collect numbers and advise when asked! throwing my weight about is best left to the others who crave being a bailiff for other reasons who can afford a permit if they wish but crave something else ,most i hope to keep an eye on their favourite water but i'm sure others have the power thing in mind!

Well that's all clear then; world gone mad , nazis everywhere -, world's gone mad ..(continues on page 87)

OH yes far to many unnecessary laws given to far to many unnecessary people