Checked today by E.A. bailiff, interesting conversation

John Weddup

Well this morning between littleport and downham market I was checked by an E.A. bailiff.

We had a long conversation about many things but somethings concerned me so an ideal opportunity to get a few things straight.

I was still bivvied up and sitting beside my rods. Two tip rods and one bite alarmed all for silver fish. His first question was can I see your 2 licences please. I got them out and he was happy and we had a chat about who he had seen today and how it was fishing.

He actually is a serious pike angler and knows the area very well.

He had caught 2 different lots of anglers on relief channel one group of 3 covering 200 yards with 12 rods and no licences.

Another pair fishing float tactics for pike spread out over 80 yards and using goldfish as a livebait. He did not believe their story of catching them there.

So we talked about the 3 metre rule. He felt it was old fashioned and brought in in 1976 before many alarms and certainly not todays ones were availeable. Tactics and tackle have changed so much.

He see's it as a benchmark would only advise if they were a little wider and does not now think on this one offence the EA would prosecute on this offence alone unless it was ridiculously over the top.

However if other offences were committed at same time then it would be part of prosecution or if repeated warnings failed then again it would be taken up.

I asked about how far from rods.

It all depended on tactics tackle and quarry. He was quite happy with carp or pike anglers with right tackle being a few yards or even next swim as long it was close.Obviously carp and other species with baitrunners and not the same deep hooking problems there was less of a problem and larger distances were exceptable. There have been no test cases to give a definitive meaning and felt because of this if it was and again a one off case with warning given it would not be worthwhile or economical to prosecute.

Before anyone says every case should be prosecuted tell that to the police and the CPS lots of serious cases don't get prosecuted so fishing comes a little down the important list.

He also said that famous anglers do come under scrutiny to obey rules much as proffessional footballers are expected to behave like monks so if you are famous be warned.

I got onto the sticky subject of eastern europeans on the fens and he said that most were polite and no trouble. The patches of burnt that I see from barbeques are not all for eating fish. They like to camp at a water with a cheap tent and use charcoal to cook chicken etc that they bring from supermarkets. They also like to drink lots of vodka and he found 2 drinking and drunk at 10.30 this morning.

There are a few problems with setlines however and asked me to keep watch at night for anything suspiscious.

He was an EA worker and still is but a bailiff aswell and does it because he loves angling. He has handcuffs and a batton and full power of arrest.

There was one question I would have asked had I been aware of the following fact.

I walked up to see the 6 anglers within about 200 yards of me as I packed up to see how they had got on. I said how nice ity was to see the EA bailiff and none of them had seen him. He had driven straight past them all sitting on seatboxes with single rods. Anyone knowing the area knows the road runs beside the river and in this area you can see anglers clearly from the car.

He only stopped at my bivvy and his first question was can I see both of your rod licences. This confirms by previous suspiscions. They see 3 rod anglers as easy targets.

O verall though I have to say I was very pleased to see him and he put a few things in perspective for me so i thought I would share the conversation with all here.

John

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its the amazing power these tin pot nazis have that astonishes me ,the power of arrest for using one rod more than the draconian licence says you can ,not only that confiscation of the fishing tackle and car if their mrs had a headache the night before

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

its the amazing power these tin pot nazis have that astonishes me ,the power of arrest for using one rod more than the draconian licence says you can ,not only that confiscation of the fishing tackle and car if their mrs had a headache the night before

They can't confiscate any tackle and I don't think any of them have the bottle to arrest anyone (unless there's at least several of them and they're dealing with nerds -train spotter types :lol: ) ....probably use the cuff's for household activities ;) .

CUFFS!

I think he obviousy has an inferiority complex either that john or you looked gay and thought you would have kinky bivvy sex.

The thought of him walking round a place like Darenth in Maidstone in the summer with those cuffs dangling beggars belief. It would be very entertaining that is for sure...LOL

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

They can't confiscate any tackle and I don't think any of them have the bottle to arrest anyone (unless there's at least several of them and they're dealing with nerds -train spotter types :lol: ) ....probably use the cuff's for household activities ;) .

"may seize any fish and any instrument, vessel, vehicle or other thing liable to be forfeited in pursuance of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Bailiff#England_and_Wales

they have the same power as a police constable

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

CUFFS!

I think he obviousy has an inferiority complex either that john or you looked gay and thought you would have kinky bivvy sex.

The thought of him walking round a place like Darenth in Maidstone in the summer with those cuffs dangling beggars belief. It would be very entertaining that is for sure...LOL

Hi Hawk

A. I did not see anything dangling

and B. You do lower the tone somewhat.

John :D

All,

John mentioned he was an EA officer. Maybe they've taken after the US. Our Fish and Game guys have FULL police power. They do confiscate and seize property. They DO put you in the slammer. They are serious as a heart attack.

Remember recently, we've had several threads where the EA was going to put "officers" in the field? Not exactly sure what a "bailiff" is but maybe John used the word wrong. Maybe he was talking to a full fledged enforcement copper - not a "bailiff".

John?

Phone

All,

John mentioned he was an EA officer. Maybe they've taken after the US. Our Fish and Game guys have FULL police power. They do confiscate and seize property. They DO put you in the slammer. They are serious as a heart attack.

Remember recently, we've had several threads where the EA was going to put "officers" in the field? Not exactly sure what a "bailiff" is but maybe John used the word wrong. Maybe he was talking to a full fledged enforcement copper - not a "bailiff".

John?

Phone

I think you could be right he certainly made a point of being a new type of officer and bailiff was my term not his.

John