Zander cooked in Revenge?

Dave H

Guest redfin2
OK, if you want to discuss it like adults, what experience is your opinion based on? I've already given mine in previous posts.

To keep it simple.......

Zander probably won't bite through Mono, Pike will.

Really Anderloo it is you that is out of step here, but hey it's a free world, if you want to use mono that's up to you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To keep it simple.......

Really Anderloo it is you that is out of step here, but hey it's a free world, if you want to use mono that's up to you.

Can you explain the problem if you're using small jigs and singles?

To keep it simple.......

Yes I know, I said the same thing in a previous post. So if you're using a very selective method for zander that means (a) hits from pike are extremely rare and (B) using fluorocarbon (not mono) rather than wire means you catch an awful lot more zander, why would you use wire?

If I am out of line, then so are all the Europeans who jig for zander, because they all use fluorocarbon, as do the US walleye anglers.

Try both, and see for yourself.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Androo,

Yes, you're right on both points. (You've said that before also - you think anyone in the UK is going to listen? Take it from a foreigner - they don't)

Phone

Maybe this would be a good place for me to suggest using ferrious hooks. (I believe that is the 3,000th time I've suggested that. Ferrous metal hooks are thrown easily before any real damage is done to a fish that might accidently end up with it embedded).

I've just started using FC for lure fishing. Where I fish there is no way I can claim to be fishing for 'Perch Only'. So far 3 Pike and a Perch on one FC trace and 2 Pike on another. So far no nicks, roughness or damage that I can see, even with a magnifying glass.

Still wouldn't even consider it for baitfishing. Lures only.

As far as I'm concerned, every trace will eventually fail somewhere down the line. If I have FC, so far, I feel I'm more likely to notice any damage than on Steel traces and much more likely than on Ti traces.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

i once said i used single 2/0's on 60lb mono for pike 30 years ago the shock in the bailiffs eyes was amusing to see ,even stranger i was "summoned" up to the committee (sp?) to explain my actions ,it fell on deaf ears and i was instructed to use both wire and trebles for pike.

30 years pass now strangely in one lake your instructed to use singles for bait and on lures because catfish are in the pond! (just as many pike as far as i know)

now i follow the rules now they are in black and white (before i was only bending the "expected" fashion)

now with singles IMHO if you have a break theres not two other points that could foul the pikes mouth or more importantly stop it eating if its food became snagged on the two remaining hooks ,pike do have tongues but i doubt they are as able to move about in the mouth as ours for manipulating food.

and the mono ,more of a difficult bit to justify except its really easy to see if its starting to fail just by running it between your fingers if there's abrasion you cut it up and dispose of it.

having used both i have never had a break in mono (in the mono itself) plenty with single strand wire and a couple with multi strand wire .

i have never used heavy flouro (i have it on my carp reels but only 15lb because theres a great risk of catching a cat where i go carping) so i cannot give my opinion on it ,nor on zander and as you see in this thread i havnt mentioned them and only gave my opinion on the opinions in the post

unfortunately when you join a club theres rules that at the time may be wise but later change ,having joined the club you follow the club rules whether its (in your opinion) bad ,you change them only if you can get enough people thinking the same thing and perhaps as we know lots of people thinking the same thing can be wrong

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The key thing is the selectivity of the method, despite whether pike are present or not. It took me a little while to really believe it, but using the little jigs right on the deck is unbelievably selective. You do pick up the very occasional pike and I wouldn't pretend otherwise, but even then because of the way the method works you almost always land them because you feel the take immediately and the trace never gets near their teeth. If a pike does bite you off - it's a small single hook.

A fish bait on a couple of trebles is a totally different scenario and of course it is not anywhere near as selective, and trebles will stitch up a fish's gullet, so wire is the only sensible option.

I don't really mind how anyone else fishes and I'm not trying to convince anyone (and if the rules insist on wire, then wire it has to be) but I've changed my mind completely over the last couple of seasons. Same as with the perch fishing too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Any one need some Pike leaders?

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/te...ocarbon-leaders

I think when compared to what is going on around the rest of the world the UK is along way behind in modern predator fishing thinking and methods.

I think I posted an article a few years back about Archie Braddock who had taken to using mono/flurocarbon cant remember which for Pike fishing and at the time I was a little shocked. But from fishing abroad and picking up ideas from guides etc it does seem like we have a set of standard practices that have been set in stone and very few people even consider an alternative.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the standard wire trace and trebles approach and most things stand the test of time because they work. I am also not saying that there methods are better and we should blindly follow them. However there does seem to be an instant reaction in angling to jump on any one who ever deviates from normal excepted practice in all forms of fishing and it seems even more so in predator fishing.

Bury Hill introduced a single hook rule a few years ago and I was horrified by it and soon after the rule was introduced I had a deep hooked Zander on a single and thought the idea was rubbish. Over time I have become a fan of singles for certain types of Zander fishing and the presentation of baits is far superior to the old snap tackle set up. Still think trebles is better for Pike fishing, when experienced predator anglers make a point on fishing techniques based on their experiences then I would tend to listen to them. However often its anglers who have read a lot regurgitating "standard practices" back in parrot fashion.

I have no idea of the "predator credentials" of those who posted on this thread and to be honest I don't care much whether you have 4 minutes or 40 years but just because some one does not follow the herd it does not mean they are doing something wrong. Well they might be but hope you get my point :D

As pointed out by others if the rules state wire/breaking strains etc then I think they should be followed or you find some other place to fish. I think I missed out on some big Perch recently as the rules stated wire trace for livos. On a different water with out the rule I may have tried with out the wire, but on this river it is a sensable rule as there are plenty of Pike. Anglers seem obsessed with trying to add extra tiers of rules and regulations. There should be room to experiment a little and also offer an alternative point of view without getting your head bitten off.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

nice and short too

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

nice and short too

The length of trace material, now there is another whole Argument/Debate in its own right.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek