• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

littlefeathers:

what are my options, I'd love to make some wine but dont have any equipment

:)  

I have the equipment for a couple of gals :D

As a kid if there was any bread left on a monday it was a bit stiff so I would lick the jam of and discard the bread or Mum would make bread and butter pudding.

It is getting a bit late to start getting the equipment to start making wine so for this year (for your Damsons) I would stick with the jam.

OR you could join a local wine making club, you have the fruit and can provide the sugar and empty bottles, team up with someone in the club, 50/50.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

little onions:

Alan, I'm surprised you think I'd only make jam.

How soon you have forgotten your delicious suggestions concerning home made elderberry wine and moonlight, sob! (as in boo hoo, not S.O.B.)   (could'nt bring myself to use the mar.... word) :(

alan(nl)

to make "proper " elderberry wine the flowers produce a far better wine than the berries :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

billy5000:

Hi all

got a damson tree at the bottom of my garden too but its abit diseased though   :(  

billy

Billy, could it be worth being really tough on it and (in the winter) cut it back, taking all the diseased bits and burning them but keeping the suckers and grafting them back onto the good wood.

Whatever you cut back, paint some Arbrex (?spelling) on the stumps to stop infection.

It is 40 years since I did grafting, it was a winter/spring in Kent (Cranbrook, Sissinghurst, Staplehurst area)but it was a magic time for a young lad pruning apple/pear trees and seeing the sukers take.

Give it a go and bring life back to a simple tree.

Getting soft so going to bed.

Nite all.

Oh, Sorry Chesters1, I agree about the Elderflower but why not the Elderflower Champagne and wine and Elderberry wine? Magic, get mashing. :D You could take a case to the AN gathering next year

Alan(nl)

Feathers!!

They are definitely `Not` damsons!! But just in case, make a few pots of jam from them and send them to me. I`ll let you know, after I`ve tasted a few pots!!

I could just state that they were damsons. But that would spoil my chances of getting the jam.

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I remember going out around the hedgerows of North Shropshire collecting damsons so that my Mum could make jam and pies. We also used to get baskets of them from friends with trees who didn't want to cook them. Mum used to make enough to last a whole year and any left over supplied the local coffee mornings and charity sales. Now I live down south nobody seems to collect the damsons - they just rot where they fall.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.