Here comes another!

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That report looks real serious - all you folks in Eastern USA can do is batten down and hope for the best. I hope you come through it with no catastrophic damage.

Looks like the buffalo fishing is on hold for the time being Newt.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Note when you are reading this latest update that the area where Isabel will probably make landfall is full of houses and businesses and the entire area is barely above sea level. Barely as in 5-10 feet above the usual high tide line.

And while the exact landfall point is uncertain, no one in the coastal region will be able to leave after early this evening. Roads will be flooded. So they have had to decide to leave on the chance it might hit them or to stay on the chance it might not. Tough decision and even more so since this sort of thing can easily happen 2-3-4 times a year.

The coastal areas have been under manditory evacuation orders since yesterday. But that only means if you opt to stay, you sign a form saying you won't sue anybody if you get hurt and your estate won't sue if you get dead. Lots of the long-time residents never leave. Just put plywood over the windows and hope for the best.

My guess is that by tonight, some of them will be real sorry for making that decision this time but it will be way too late to do anything about it. Police, fire, and rescue forces have already gone to safety.

quote:

Isabel is moving toward the north-northwest near 14 mph. A turn to the northwest with an increase in forward speed is expected prior to landfall. On the forecast track...the center of Isabel is expected to make landfall in eastern North Carolina during the day Thursday. However...the precise timing and location of landfall is uncertain...and conditions will deteriorate over a large area well before the center reaches the coast. Tropical storm conditions are expected to reach the coastline tonight.

Maximum sustained winds are near 105 mph...with higher gusts. Isabel is a category two hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale. A slight increase in strength is possible prior to landfall.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 115 miles from the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 315 miles.

Storm surge flooding of 7 to 11 feet above normal tide levels... along with extremely large and dangerous battering waves...is expected near and to the north of where the center crosses the coast. Storm surge flooding of 4 to 8 ft above normal tide levels is expected in Chesapeake Bay and the tidal portions of adjacent rivers.

Storm total rainfalls of 6 to 10 inches...with locally higher amounts...are likely in association with Isabel. There is the threat of isolated tornadoes over eastern North Carolina tonight and Thursday.

And it is expected to hold together and remain a hurricane until well into Canada. I don't think those folks have ever been hit (other than Nova Scotia) so they may finally find out what we get excited about. :D:D

[ 17. September 2003, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

keep an eye on the North Carolina webcams here:

http://www.hurricaneadvisories.com/hcancam.html

It looks like the wind is getting up now.

Good Luck Newt.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Little Tinca - thank you. Any source of help (and Divine is good) is greatly appreciated.

Maybe next year if our plans for UK trip gel properly, we can meet and become un-unknown. :)

[ 18. September 2003, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How far inland are you, Newt? Are you likely to have to evacuate?

All the best from both of us - we'll be watching with extra interest.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net