Only three weeks

Rusty

Sounds good as well! Is it expensive Ant?

From memory Budgie it was £40 for the Punt for the day ,Stunning Estate lake in awesome setting well worth a day as a treat .

I made the mistake of sitting in the engine seat of the Punt and had Chris screaming Ramming speed at me every time we neared another Punt :rolleyes: ,Cue him post up some Piccys of the lake....

First 2 weeks of season heading upstream to lechlade on the boat to see what we can catch ,After that trying a few spots locally that my partner in crime will have studiously prebaited intermixed with a bit of trotting...good Roach on one of the new bits so gonna try this Hemp and Tares thingy to see what all the fuss is about Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am torn between two plans. Hit the Ribble and hope to god I can get there before the crowd. This may mean being there all day friday and through friday night too to make sure I get a peg. If I decide against that then the plan is to hit a small river with the trotting gear and enjoy the peace as it isnt nearly as pressured as the Ribble. Either way I cannot bloody wait. Feels like forever since I send a float down running water. I am toying with the idea of ordering a new pin or a new float rod to mark the occasion B)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

If a recent tip-off proves accurate I might well be doing a bit of carping on the Thames. Otherwise probably not much, my local rivers are sorry sights until the autumn/winter rains.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My experience of early season river fishing is that the chub are best left alone for a month and the barbel for even longer. Most of the chub are out of sorts, often shoaled up and easy to catch, and I'd prefer to wait till mid July. I've done well with early season dace though. Roach and bream aren't that special until July. I may start with tench and mullet. Last season, what with launching my book, I didn't really get back into serious fishing until September and it was worth the wait.

Several years ago I fished Throop opening day. I got there at 6pm after work in 80 degrees of heat. The place was rammed with anglers that had fished the previous night and almost all had blanked bar the odd eel. I eventually found a gap in some weeds that hadn't been fished with a big chub swimming in it. Tackled a float rod, fed some pellets and caught it - 24" long but only 5-09 as it was spawned out. Packed up after 10 minutes a happy man. spare me the crowds!

If a recent tip-off proves accurate I might well be doing a bit of carping on the Thames. Otherwise probably not much, my local rivers are sorry sights until the autumn/winter rains.

You finally going after Pi$$wings then Andrew ? :fishing:

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I think I will hopefully lure fishing either on the river cam or somewhere in the fens. I've never fished either so I expect to blank, it will probably take me a few trips to get my head around the new venues :-)

I think I will hopefully lure fishing either on the river cam or somewhere in the fens. I've never fished either so I expect to blank, it will probably take me a few trips to get my head around the new venues :-)

Errrm

Enjoy the fens, but be warned you will end up tearing your hair out & screaming at the water. It is a notoriously hard water. Been in different parts several times & believe me it all looks the same, long straight channels, but fishes different every 100 yds. So be prepared for long blanking sessions. I have spoken to anglers who have fished it for over 10yrs & they all say the wait is woth it, as when it does all work the catches are huge. Can't say anything about the Cam, seen it on tv plenty & driven along it many times, always wanted to give it a go. So please report back.

I am hoping to start on the river Bure, with a lock-in on a private area, yes it gets fished in the daytime. But usually they clear it all & lock it up at night. So the plan is :- to arrive the Friday about 4pm & make camp. then bait up around 8pm, first rod,(by Big Ben,on radio) at midnight. Staying there til, hopefully, about 4pm the Sunday & making a session of it. Would be nice to start season with 'wet nets'! ! !

Mark

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Errrm

Enjoy the fens, but be warned you will end up tearing your hair out & screaming at the water. It is a notoriously hard water. Been in different parts several times & believe me it all looks the same, long straight channels, but fishes different every 100 yds. So be prepared for long blanking sessions. I have spoken to anglers who have fished it for over 10yrs & they all say the wait is woth it, as when it does all work the catches are huge. Can't say anything about the Cam, seen it on tv plenty & driven along it many times, always wanted to give it a go. So please report back.

I am hoping to start on the river Bure, with a lock-in on a private area, yes it gets fished in the daytime. But usually they clear it all & lock it up at night. So the plan is :- to arrive the Friday about 4pm & make camp. then bait up around 8pm, first rod,(by Big Ben,on radio) at midnight. Staying there til, hopefully, about 4pm the Sunday & making a session of it. Would be nice to start season with 'wet nets'! ! !

Mark

Thanks for the tips :-).

I haven't even fished it once so if you could make any suggestions about the types of lures to use and how weedy it gets it would be a great help. The Cam looks a lot easier, I've been out running along it a few times recently and spotting prey fish has been really easy.... although there might be too many prey fish and so many places the pike could be feeding but it doesn't look anywhere near as difficult as the Fens.

You finally going after Pi$$wings then Andrew ? :fishing:

No he is after his river cousin pulls like %$£k :help: a worthy quest indeed a river carp be.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

No he is after his river cousin pulls like %$£k :help: a worthy quest indeed a river carp be.

Ha ha, no, not the mighty pisswings! Any Thames carp will do me, it doesn't have to be big. The crays will make bottom baits difficult so the plan is to fish for them with floaters in the summer evenings...if I can find them :)

Ps errm, if you're looking to do some fenland lure fishing, get a KLAA book and try the Wissey. It's a lovely little river with plenty of pike and perch.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music