Flashing Headlights To Warn Other Motorists

Elton

Interesting press release from the Association of British Drivers:

Lancashire Police Ignore Law Lords Ruling

12 Jun 12

The actions by Lancashire Police in fining drivers for flashing their headlights to warn of a speed trap (1) are in direct contravention of a landmark legal decision in 2006. In that case, lorry driver Charles Glendinning was found not guilty at Taunton Crown Court of obstructing the police in the execution of their duty by waving his arm out of the window of his cab to warn oncoming drivers. An appeal by the Director of Public Prosecutions to the High Court failed on the grounds that there was no evidence that any of the drivers warned were breaking the speed limit, or were likely to do so (2). Three Law Lords subsequently refused permission for a further appeal to the House of Lords. One of them, Mr Justice Owen, commented that some people might think the police ought to appreciate the efforts of others to prevent speeding (3).

ABD chairman Brian Gregory comments, "The High Court and Law Lords rulings settled this matter once and for all. It is outrageous that Lancashire Police should ignore it or try to get round it with charges of

(1) www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157763/Drivers-fined-flashing-headlights-warn-oncoming-cars-police-speed-trap.html

(2) www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1517976/Lorry-driver-cleared-of-speed-camera-warning.html

(3) www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/2742613/Honest-Johns-agony-column.html (see 'I fought the law...')'misuse of headlights'. If they really wanted to encourage people to obey speed limits, rather than catch them speeding, they should applaud those who warn others. Those prosecuted should seek legal advice, quoting the Glendinning case."

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I don't condone speeding, but this is a victory for common sense.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I don't condone speeding, but this is a victory for common sense.

The Police are no doubt angry because of the potential revenue loss for all those speeding fines so instead target those who give advanced warning. It's all about the money unfortunately.

Speeding gets you a fine + points, the fines go to the treasury and the points increase your premiums which also increase taxation revenue. No fine, no points and no increases in premium costs the treasury money so fine the flasher instead.

Don't condone speeding, never any police around nowadays to catch speeding drivers, but feel that any help you can give to slow someone down could save lives. Maybe even save your own life...

The Police are no doubt angry because of the potential revenue loss for all those speeding fines so instead target those who give advanced warning. It's all about the money unfortunately.

Speeding gets you a fine + points, the fines go to the treasury and the points increase your premiums which also increase taxation revenue. No fine, no points and no increases in premium costs the treasury money so fine the flasher instead.

Don't condone speeding, never any police around nowadays to catch speeding drivers, but feel that any help you can give to slow someone down could save lives. Maybe even save your own life...

I do it every time (warn others, that is). The police round here are always looking for better hiding places and move as soon as they've been sussed. Their latest ploy is to revise the speed limit just outside town (without any advance warning) by placing 40mph signs so small that you can't see them until you're within spitting distance. I don't object to the change - it's an area round a blind bend outside a riding school where horses cross - but object to the sneaky way they've implemented it. I expect to see speed traps there in the very near future.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I do it every time (warn others, that is). The police round here are always looking for better hiding places and move as soon as they've been sussed. Their latest ploy is to revise the speed limit just outside town (without any advance warning) by placing 40mph signs so small that you can't see them until you're within spitting distance. I don't object to the change - it's an area round a blind bend outside a riding school where horses cross - but object to the sneaky way they've implemented it. I expect to see speed traps there in the very near future.

The police don't revise the speed limits and place signs. The Local or county council do that. The Police can only advise.

On the A14 near to where I live we have "average speed" cameras the length of the 11 mile stretch, needless to say very few are caught speeding these days, far better to have put up video cameras to find and prosecute the DANGEROUS drivers using the road.

As for flashing, I only do that to female drivers! ;)

Hello Y'all, :)

In terms of our 'envy of the world' police service, I jest much!! I wouldn't have thought 'that-such-as-them' who are employed in an organisation where approx. 83% of their [approx] £35,000,000 budget goes on salaries, pensions, overtime & skive-offs need extra money from 'The man-ON-the-street'?

I don't think they, the police, are aware of the level of public apathy aimed at them & which, in my humble opinion, they most certainly deserve! <_<

Overpaid & underworked they are, and that on a good day! <_<

Must go,

H :)

Interesting press release from the Association of British Drivers:

Lancashire Police Ignore Law Lords Ruling

12 Jun 12

The actions by Lancashire Police in fining drivers for flashing their headlights to warn of a speed trap (1) are in direct contravention of a landmark legal decision in 2006. In that case, lorry driver Charles Glendinning was found not guilty at Taunton Crown Court of obstructing the police in the execution of their duty by waving his arm out of the window of his cab to warn oncoming drivers. An appeal by the Director of Public Prosecutions to the High Court failed on the grounds that there was no evidence that any of the drivers warned were breaking the speed limit, or were likely to do so (2). Three Law Lords subsequently refused permission for a further appeal to the House of Lords. One of them, Mr Justice Owen, commented that some people might think the police ought to appreciate the efforts of others to prevent speeding (3).

ABD chairman Brian Gregory comments, "The High Court and Law Lords rulings settled this matter once and for all. It is outrageous that Lancashire Police should ignore it or try to get round it with charges of

(1) www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2157763/Drivers-fined-flashing-headlights-warn-oncoming-cars-police-speed-trap.html

(2) www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1517976/Lorry-driver-cleared-of-speed-camera-warning.html

(3) www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/2742613/Honest-Johns-agony-column.html (see 'I fought the law...')'misuse of headlights'. If they really wanted to encourage people to obey speed limits, rather than catch them speeding, they should applaud those who warn others. Those prosecuted should seek legal advice, quoting the Glendinning case."

Hello Y'all, :)

In terms of our 'envy of the world' police service, I jest much!!

I have often read that phrase of being "the envy of the world"...Has anybody got any idea where the idea came from? Not being clever/funny/sarcastic or anything, just curious. :) :)

On the back of this topic,

How would we feel if the Government came clean and told us that purely in the interests of raising revenue they were going to enforce speeding fines countrywide?

They could call it a tax on the stupid.

It could be announced that after a certain date, tens of thousands of hidden speed cameras will come into action, so anyone getting a fine after that date has only got themselves to blame for being stupid.

With so many cameras on the go, it will be probable that enough points will be accrued to loose your license after one journey. Give people one chance to buy back the licence for an exhorbitant fee, as long as none of the speeding tickets were in excess of 10mph above the speed limit.

I.E. doing 60mph in a 30 limit will be an automatic ban without appeal.

All proceeds to go towards the national debt.

trouble is all the time you have your eyes on the spedo keeping exactly 29 MPH because some plod maybe raising tea money your not looking out for kids and old grannies dodging out from cars at the side of the road.

fair do's outside schools or in places where people have died but around here speed limits i'm sure are lowered to the ludicrous because theres a chance of a few quid in speeding fines ,its a strange thing cameras are in the safest places with a nice view of the road and all the accidents happen because theres no speed limit on the twisty nasty dangerous roads or should i say no place to position a speed camera on these places? ;)

the local council in their wisdom has closed miles of dual carriageway fought for for years so the police can sit at the end catching speeding drives only breaking the law because its a single lane and thus 60mph not 70 mph as it was ,theres no obvious reason for the change the only junction is on a straight with plenty of space to turn out or cross the divide to the other side

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've never had any problems with sticking to the speed limit, never had a ticket & I don't spend all my time looking at the speedo.

I agree the ex dual carriageway traps are an obvious money raiser, but thats why i'm saying why don't they come clean and SAY that they are doing it to pay off Credit Card UK.

They would have to have an advertising campaign to make sure everyone is aware of the limits for the different roads, I know a hell of a lot of people haven't got a clue what the national speed limit is, and i'm sure some folk think the black & white sign means "go as fast as you possibly can"