Spate rivers

Tigger

The little river Eden in Kent can come up a bit quick. I got cut off there one day while sheltering from a thunderstorm, and the river rose about 2mtrs and came over the bank, and then rose a bit more and flooded the field around me. I climbed the tree and sat it out, but still got very wet wading across later.

Do I qualify for the "gent" word :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

This gives an idea of how our rivers can shoot up check out the graph, virtually a wall of water......

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...?stationId=5119

You southern gent's ever get these sudden variations in water flow ?

I can honestly say its been as wet a day as ive ever known here today. The rain has been relentless from the word go and its still coming down sideways. I'm starting to think even us northerners might see things we've not seen before on them river level sites.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

5m rise in 10 hours is most impressive.

The Severn can and does rise 5m though not that quickly. When it does though, it's fearsome with whole trees coming down on occasion.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Don't think it will be a good year for fry survival. A number of the tributaries (River Calder, Darwen and Douglas) and the tidal Ribble have all now made new record water level highs on that EA site.

ps. I think it might just have stopped raining.

Edited by lutra

Tigger,

No time to be in Duluth MN (which is up North). Take a look via google.

Phone

No i think Duluth is south of the Watford Gap Phone.

Even in relative terms the river I fish wouldn’t rise that quickly due to rain, I have seen variations of 6 inches or so (a lot for the Kennet) at one venue but that was caused by sluices being managed directly upstream, still quite a surprise if you’re mid river at the time.

This is me wading the Eden in Cumbria when I travelled up to see Ian a couple of years ago, it was as far as I felt comfortable with the water just below waist height and I had to cross a couple of deeper troughs to get there. 5 metres in 10 hours works out to about 6 inches in 20 minutes in old money and I’m a long way from the bank, very easy to get caught out particularly if it’s not raining in your location.

IMG_4814.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back