Abu 706 Issue

AddictedToScopex

Not sure what you mean there Ian. Are you saying you cant control the float with a CF?

Yeah... well no where near as good as with a pin. I don't think it's possible to keep the line between your float and rod as tight when using a CF reel or any other reel as you can when using a pin. I'm not putting CF reels down in any way but just stating a simple fact (IMO), as I said i'm a big fan of the 506 and used one for trotting for many years. I suppose they're ok for short'ish trotts but only the other day I was trotting 60yds before hitting barbel and I know it would have been very difficult to achive the presentation and connect with the fish at that distance using a CF reel.

I think the abu CF reels where actually made for spinning.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an ABU 501 but don't use it often.

I have a couple of DAM CTE coffee grinders and use them all the time, in fact for most of my float fishing and prefer them to the ABU

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Yeah... well no where near as good as with a pin. I don't think it's possible to keep the line between your float and rod as tight when using a CF reel or any other reel as you can when using a pin. I'm not putting CF reels down in any way but just stating a simple fact (IMO), as I said i'm a big fan of the 506 and used one for trotting for many years. I suppose they're ok for short'ish trotts but only the other day I was trotting 60yds before hitting barbel and I know it would have been very difficult to achive the presentation and connect with the fish at that distance using a CF reel.

I think the abu CF reels where actually made for spinning.

I do prefer a pin for float control but I often prefer the CF or even a FS for much lighter floats just because they take less effort to get going etc. I have found most pins a pain in the arse for using light floats :D. As you know though I am not the most experience pin user on the board and so still have much to learn. I think often I expected too much of my pins though. Just got another Grice & Youngs as that was one reel I did find really good for light floats being a true pin whereas I found bearing pins to be a nightmare. Think I will stick to true pins from now on. ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I do prefer a pin for float control but I often prefer the CF or even a FS for much lighter floats just because they take less effort to get going etc. I have found most pins a pain in the arse for using light floats :D. As you know though I am not the most experience pin user on the board and so still have much to learn. I think often I expected too much of my pins though. Just got another Grice & Youngs as that was one reel I did find really good for light floats being a true pin whereas I found bearing pins to be a nightmare. Think I will stick to true pins from now on. ;)

I haven't had any prob's with my pins giving line using light floats in swims with very little flow. If the water is moving to slow to trott properly I simply use a thumb to give line as it's needed. I thought you where having prob's with your rod and your line catching on the guides ? Isn't that your prob and not your pin ?

To be honest Rik i've always been led to belive the Grice and Youngs where a reel that needed quite a lot of flow to get them to rotate. I've never had one so I can't speak through experience on them.

I just recently visited go outdoors and couldn't resist investing in two aventa pro's....£50.40p each !!! Worth buying just to put on fleebay. They seem to rotate with the merest hint of a pull. I just whizzed one round and it was still spinning after 3 minuites 40 seconds. Start up is just as good with a bearing reel as with a true pin. Just remember to hold your true pin horizontal if you need it revolve at it's most efficient, you can hang it down if fishing a strong flow or if you want to slow down your float during the trott.

I have an ABU 501 but don't use it often.

I have a couple of DAM CTE coffee grinders and use them all the time, in fact for most of my float fishing and prefer them to the ABU

Narrh, the Abu wins by a country mile :D

I haven't had any prob's with my pins giving line using light floats in swims with very little flow. If the water is moving to slow to trott properly I simply use a thumb to give line as it's needed. I thought you where having prob's with your rod and your line catching on the guides ? Isn't that your prob and not your pin ?

To be honest Rik i've always been led to belive the Grice and Youngs where a reel that needed quite a lot of flow to get them to rotate. I've never had one so I can't speak through experience on them.

I just recently visited go outdoors and couldn't resist investing in two aventa pro's....£50.40p each !!! Worth buying just to put on fleebay. They seem to rotate with the merest hint of a pull. I just whizzed one round and it was still spinning after 3 minuites 40 seconds. Start up is just as good with a bearing reel as with a true pin. Just remember to hold your true pin horizontal if you need it revolve at it's most efficient, you can hang it down if fishing a strong flow or if you want to slow down your float during the trott.

Wow! Someone got a couple of bargains, nice one you did well.

Although a promoter of light fishing, I have seen some people getting into a problem by fishing way too light for both the water they are fishing and their reel. When trotting it is an even more delicate balance to get the tackle right for if you are too light a pin simply will not allow the flow to take line as it should.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I know what you mean about giving it the thumb but for me that is a pain in the backside. Like I said maybe I expect too much of my pins in wanting them to give line without thumbing them on. I wish I could find a pin that could give line like a fixed spool but also give the constant contact :D . The grice and youngs in my experience are very close to achieving that for me. I had no problems whatsoever last time round and this new one seems the same.

The grice and youngs I had previously was fantastic with light floats without the need for a push. By light I mean 4 no4 as opposed to 2.5-3g. The drum is very light and seems to move very easily. I find bearing reels are good when they get going but definetly seem to take more to get them going.

Also yeah I am still suffering along with the rod. I really should have changed it by now but everytime I seem to get round to it something comes up. After using Petes superteam I think I am going to hold out for one of those as it was a dream to use. Much more forgiving than my shaky and can be 13' or 17'.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I find bearing reels are good when they get going but definetly seem to take more to get them going.

You must have had some dodgy bearing reels Rik, they should start up just as easy if not easier than a true pin.

You must have had some dodgy bearing reels Rik, they should start up just as easy if not easier than a true pin.

I did get the impression in Rik's last thread about trotting that loosening the centre nut or a few drops of sewing machine oil might sort a lot of his problems out.

Rik, I cleared my trotting box out in the closed season and any float that didn't carry at least 4BB got kicked out. Not because my reels wont start up with them, but because i just don't have any use for them on the rivers i fish as the water always seems to deep or to strong to get the bait down with them.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I know what you mean about giving it the thumb but for me that is a pain in the backside. Like I said maybe I expect too much of my pins in wanting them to give line without thumbing them on.

There are other situations where careful use of a thumb can help things along....

Nothing wrong with tapping a reel along, can be quite enjoyable feeling for that point where even a gentle flow takes over. On that river we visited you're unlikely to get the chance to trot far enough for this to be an issue though, as you've seen, and I do think the CF is the better option on a river like that (totally down to personal preference though). There's another tiny river close by I'll have to show you that has some real surprises, and again because it's a pool-and-riffle stream I think the Abu will be a better choice.

The Superteam isn't a rod to choose if one of those beardy jobs is likely, and there are better rods out there at either the 13 or 17ft lengths, but I do like it for what I paid for it. At 13ft it's great for what we were doing or for grayling on the Dane, at 17ft it's a good rod for low-water Winter fishing on the lower Ribble.