Beach Casting - Reel up or down?

fishfinder

I've been fishing now for about 40 years and I've always used my reel in the "up" position. I've never really like the look of casting with the reel low down but now I'm wondering if I'm being too narrow minded! In particular I didn't like the idea of having to control the reel with my left hand!

Can anyone tell me what (if there are any) advantages i would have by casting with my reel low down?

I've been fishing now for about 40 years and I've always used my reel in the "up" position. I've never really like the look of casting with the reel low down but now I'm wondering if I'm being too narrow minded! In particular I didn't like the idea of having to control the reel with my left hand!

Can anyone tell me what (if there are any) advantages i would have by casting with my reel low down?

In theory, with the reel lower down the handle you have a longer rod and therefore a longer 'lever' to launch your lead and bait...a correspondingly higher effort needs to be put in.

It might also be more comfortable for reeling in. I tend to stick the reel where reeling in comfort and casting effort are balanced. If I was in the situation of desperately requiring a few more yards I might stick the reel lower down the rod...then again, you may lose accuracy...not necessarily required, it depends on the area you are fishing!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Fishfinder - did you mean reel above rod / reel below rod or the position of the reel relative to the butt of the rod?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

fishfinder,

I was with Newt. Many "multiplyers" are either "left handed" or "right handed". I have a pal who uses his multiplyer reel in a "hanging" position (like a fixed spool reel hangs from a spinning rod) so he can reel with the hand of choice. Goofy looking but he makes it work. (i.e. upside down)

Few rods, other than surf casting rods, have handles more than 12 - 15 inches in the US.

I'm picturing you putting your reel down where a flyrod reel goes - right? If that's the case, whilst casting, wouldn't line slap on the first ring negate any advantage? I can't believe the pressure point(s) would remain the same when playing a specimen fish either (??).

Phone

fishfinder,

I was with Newt. Many "multiplyers" are either "left handed" or "right handed". I have a pal who uses his multiplyer reel in a "hanging" position (like a fixed spool reel hangs from a spinning rod) so he can reel with the hand of choice. Goofy looking but he makes it work. (i.e. upside down)

Few rods, other than surf casting rods, have handles more than 12 - 15 inches in the US.

I'm picturing you putting your reel down where a flyrod reel goes - right? If that's the case, whilst casting, wouldn't line slap on the first ring negate any advantage? I can't believe the pressure point(s) would remain the same when playing a specimen fish either (??).

Phone

You've brought up a couple of salient points there Phone (blimey there's always a first time for everything :P ).

The positioning isn't about positioning of the reel in a dorso/ventral aspect, it's where on the handle i.e. closer to butt or 1st rod ring. The idea was mooted partly because of getting distance with shorter rods and partly that with modern stiffer rod blanks you are getting a 'better' bend in the rod to punch out a bait...using more of the action in other words and utilising some of the inherent strength of the stiffer mid/butt section for more power. Some people use a reel lower down the butt and fit another rod ring between original butt ring and reel to negate the "line slap".

Just goes to show how wrong all of those rod designers are eh! B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

In theory, with the reel lower down the handle you have a longer rod and therefore a longer 'lever' to launch your lead and bait...

.. and conversely, a big fish has more leverage against you (as Big Cod has just said)

I discovered that when using a South African outfit for bronze whaler shark in Namibia, see below

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Vagabon...=Skeleton+coast

That experience convinced me !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...