Discarded line

Colin Brett

Barry C,

I agree, once an a hole always an a hole.

Colin,

Does you club collect and encourage members to bring in used line. Over here the manufacturers pay about a $1.50 a pound for used line. I'm sure it is a service but you would be surprised how quickly a little 'reserve' fund can build.

Phone

people who do that i believe are generally not the kind of people you would want taking part in angling.

a bit of my canal i can see from the window i seen people fishing it. i passed by it the day after and the bank was strewn with beer cans, empty pike bait packets, empty maggot tubs, crisp packets, line, bubble floats up trees, scorched earth etc etc.

they even go and tie a glasgow angling centre carrier bag to a fence to put their rubbish in and leaving half of it all over the grass, probably believing they have done a good deed :rolleyes: .

this little bit of canal is my little escape from the masses at another nearby fishing spot where they congregate.

its very disheartening as we, the considerate anglers people get the flak from anti's.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

All,

I lied.

The used fishing line program I was talking about in post #3 is sponsored by the manufacturer but the cash reward I was talking about is "cents" off ($1.50 lb) the purchase of new line and is offered by the retailer/dealer.

Phone

(looked this afternoon)

did a work party at one of your club lakes of which i was bailiff at the time: picked up a load of really quite thick line (15lb) and proceeded to pass it to the chap who was helping out close to be to put in his bag. he produced a pair of scissors and proceeded to chop it into smaller pieces and drop it back on the ground (bits about an inch long)! :o

when i stared at him is disbelief and suggested that it was now "of no harm" as nothing could wrap it around itself and if it was eaten it would easily "pass through"..

suffice to say i supplied a few choice words; suggested he leave his bag where he stood and get off my lake because he cleary didnt understand the process; and then raised his stupditity up at the next meeting, of which, i hasten to add he was a coimittee member!!!

so there ya go...new government radioactive waste management scheme...cut it all into really small pieces and just leave it laying about!

did a work party at one of your club lakes of which i was bailiff at the time: picked up a load of really quite thick line (15lb) and proceeded to pass it to the chap who was helping out close to be to put in his bag. he produced a pair of scissors and proceeded to chop it into smaller pieces and drop it back on the ground (bits about an inch long)! :o

when i stared at him is disbelief and suggested that it was now "of no harm" as nothing could wrap it around itself and if it was eaten it would easily "pass through"..

suffice to say i supplied a few choice words; suggested he leave his bag where he stood and get off my lake because he cleary didnt understand the process; and then raised his stupditity up at the next meeting, of which, i hasten to add he was a coimittee member!!!

so there ya go...new government radioactive waste management scheme...cut it all into really small pieces and just leave it laying about!

Firstly I don't have much of a problem with the line being cut into short lengths.

Secondly, how is the line that is placed into the rubbish bags disposed of?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Firstly I don't have much of a problem with the line being cut into short lengths.

Secondly, how is the line that is placed into the rubbish bags disposed of?

firstly; i do..thats still in the enviroment and not disposed of correctly; in my view. if your cleaning up a lake then leaving little bits of cut up line around the place isnt cleaning it up! its just making it smaller! :)

secondly; whatever we find on work parties is sorted and then taken to recycling centres; whether thats correct "technical" disposal or not its the way the club has been doing it.

Edited by kirisute

I was always taught to cut the line into small pieces even if putting it into household refuse, as it can still be dangerous to wildlife when put on the refuse tip at the recycling cntre. I even cut up the free reels of line given with magazines, but perhaps that is a bit OCD :mellow:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not