Discarded line

Colin Brett

firstly; i do..thats still in the enviroment and not disposed of correctly; in my view. if your cleaning up a lake then leaving little bits of cut up line around the place isnt cleaning it up! its just making it smaller! :)

secondly; whatever we find on work parties is sorted and then taken to recycling centres; whether thats correct "technical" disposal or not its the way the club has been doing it.

What damage to the environment do you think migh come from the 1" lengths of line?

Once you have sent the recovered line to the recycling centre what do you think happens to it?

Apparently mono line can not be recycled with normal plastics so it is unlikely that the centre would have enough volume to have a dedicated recycling operation.

Options are it is burnt releasing toxins into the air (maybe worse than leaving it alone in its short lengths) or it is sent to landfill (where it is dug up and once again becomes a hazard to wildlife)

All of the articles I have read on the dangers of mono refer to entrapment and ingestion by wildlife. The 1" sections remove the danger.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

What damage to the environment do you think migh come from the 1" lengths of line?

Once you have sent the recovered line to the recycling centre what do you think happens to it?

Apparently mono line can not be recycled with normal plastics so it is unlikely that the centre would have enough volume to have a dedicated recycling operation.

Options are it is burnt releasing toxins into the air (maybe worse than leaving it alone in its short lengths) or it is sent to landfill (where it is dug up and once again becomes a hazard to wildlife)

All of the articles I have read on the dangers of mono refer to entrapment and ingestion by wildlife. The 1" sections remove the danger.

i think "recycling" IS just chucking it on the ground ,look up "green" waste ;)

the tip of the iceberg

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Company-...tail/story.html

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i think "recycling" IS just chucking it on the ground ,look up "green" waste ;)

the tip of the iceberg

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Company-...tail/story.html

whether 1 inch of line will cause a problem or not isnt really the main issue to me in that situation..the issue was the fact we were removing rubbish from the banks and he kind of thought removing a big tangle of line and replacing it with a small pile of line was a suitable situation...on top of the fact i just dont think, for me, thats its a suitable way of getting rid of it.

we do our best; i dont think cutting line up and dumping back onto the bank is the best we can do

I tend it to put any spare line either in a rubbish bag and take it home or burn it. I agree it's a bit pointless to cut it up small but it's surely better to cut it up into small pieces and throw it in the bush where it won't be seen or do any harm than have clumps of it lying about.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

If you burn it then it makes no difference.

If you intend to dispose of it any other way, by putting it in with general rubbish or sending it for recycling then it is a very good idea to cut it up first.

The fact is that most plastics sent for recycling just go to landfill as most local authorities lack the facilities to recycle them.

Recycling plastic is complicated and expensive.

Balls of mono fishing line are just as dangerous to wildlife in a landfill site as they are on the bank.

Cutting them up removes any risk and leaving the bits on the bank presents no risk to the environment as they take hundreds of years to degrade. You could argue that it is better for the environment than burning, as that does release toxins into the atmosphere although the amount from fishing line is likely to be minuscule.

Personally I burn mine and any that I find.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I cut mine up,and usually burn it in my incinerator when I'm burning private papers.

A few weeks ago I was cutting the hedge and found a blackbirds nest, I didn't know about. It was made up of the usual grass, twigs and leaves. I also found one of those plastic things that hold cans of beer, and small pieces of mono line that must have dropped out of the last lot I burned, woven into the nest.

So small off cuts can be put to good use by some creatures.

Birds will use anything they can get their beaks on to build a nest. When working for a firm that made stainless pressure vessels, a lot of small pieces of stainlees welding wire were always scattered around. The pigeons even used that to make their nests!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

I've never used the "cut up" bit. Why wouldn't 6 or 8 inch pieces be more useful to native creatures - assuming it is a good idea? Off the top I can't think of what the right "length" would be proper trash. Burning sucks IMO. It should serve some further useful purpose. Fishing line is very high quality virgin plastic and is prized by recyclers of plastic.

Phone

Balls of mono fishing line are just as dangerous to wildlife in a landfill site as they are on the bank.

Absolutely, and not just monofil - those plastics webs used to hold a six-pack together are also a menace to birdlife - I once saw a Herring Gull wearing one round its neck. How long, I thought, before it manages to get a foot caught in it also?

All fishing line (and six-pack webs) that I find by the waterside I take home, and they go into my land-fill bin - but get cut up first.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vanguard,

Yes, and those damnable "grape sacks" our grocers use for everything under the sun. Then they ask at the checkout "paper or plastic" - RIGHT! What a choice - kill a tree or choke the vermin.

Phone

Edited by Phone