Boat hire

Andy_1984

I do wear a seat belt, always have done, BUT, please tell me, what are the odds of going overboard, ?

As i have said, I always stand near to the life saving devices. I am an experienced enough boat angler to realise when i may need the device.

Fished the north sea long enough to learn that. And before you retort, can i just say, NO i cannot read the north sea, i DO know she's an unpredictable thing.

Steve Burke, i'm not image conscious chum, i just prefer to fish without a life jacket on, but when the need be, its on. ;)

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me Sporty, do you stick to EVERY H&S rule ?

This may be the crux of the problem.

Health and safety has been taken to such ludicrous extremes elsewhere that it's hard to decide what's sensible and what's not. IMO the situation was made much worse by the previous government's scrapping of legal aid to save money. This was replaced by no win, no fee cases resulting in ambulance chasing legal firms making a killing. This in turn led to higher insurance premiums and a culture of ridiculous health and safety rules to avoid claims.

No wonder people are confused!

However with lifejackets it's absolutely cut and dried. Whether you're at sea or on freshwater it's utterly foolhardy not to wear them, just as Andy pointed out regarding seatbelts. This is why when I was selling boat fishing gear in the 90s lifejackets were right at the start of my catalogue. I even lost business on expensive fishfinders when I persuaded many customers to buy a lifejacket instead.

As a lad I twice nearly lost my life by drowning. My childhood sweetheart wasn't so lucky. She drowned in freshwater on a hot sunny day when swimming in a cold deep lake.

So be macho if you like, it's no skin off my nose. But do a favour to your loved ones - put your brain before your balls!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

No

Just the ones that are likely to save my life.

I wear a seatbelt in a car and a lifejacket in a boat.

I would be stupid not to wouldn't I? ;)

What precautions do you take in the kitchen Sporty ? What precautions do you take in the bath tub, both possible life threatening places :P

Or am i nit picking now. ;)

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

This may be the crux of the problem.

Health and safety has been taken to such ludicrous extremes elsewhere that it's hard to decide what's sensible and what's not. IMO the situation was made much worse by the previous government's scrapping of legal aid to save money. This was replaced by no win, no fee cases resulting in ambulance chasing legal firms making a killing. This in turn led to higher insurance premiums and a culture of ridiculous health and safety rules to avoid claims.

No wonder people are confused!

However with lifejackets it's absolutely cut and dried. It's utterly foolhardy not to wear them, just as Andy pointed out regarding seatbelts. This is why when I was selling boat fishing in the 90s lifejackets were right at the start of my catalogue. I even lost business on expensive fishfinders when I persuaded many customers to buy a lifejacket instead.

As a lad I twice nearly lost my life by drowning. My childhood sweetheart wasn't so lucky. She drowned in freshwater on a hot sunny day when swimming in a cold deep lake.

So be macho if you like, it's no skin off my nose. But do a favour to your loved ones - put your brain before your balls!

Sorry to hear that about your sweetheart.

But one thing i must say to you.

How am i being macho because i dont like wearing a life jacket or other life saving device. Personal preference, thats all BUT, i have said this and will say it again, i am always the one standing near the devices when on the water, last time was 6 years ago,been fishing out on the water for well over 40 years, not once have i had to reply on any life saving device, maybe i'm lucky, macho, nah not mate.

“Vescere bracis meis”

How am i being macho because i dont like wearing a life jacket or other life saving device. Personal preference, thats all BUT, i have said this and will say it again, i am always the one standing near the devices when on the water, last time was 6 years ago,been fishing out on the water for well over 40 years, not once have i had to reply on any life saving device, maybe i'm lucky, macho, nah not mate.

i dont get your statement mate. ive never had to rely on a seat belt so does that mean i dont need to wear one? what happens if you get hit by a big wave and your tossed away from the life jackets and in to the water?

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

What precautions do you take in the kitchen Sporty ? What precautions do you take in the bath tub, both possible life threatening places :P

Or am i nit picking now. ;)

No, you're just being as stupid as normal so now I have said my piece about lifejackets I don't have to put up with your stupidity any longer

Byee :bye1: :bye1:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

No, you're just being as stupid as normal so now I have said my piece about lifejackets I don't have to put up with your stupidity any longer

Byee :bye1: :bye1:

pathetic. just like your lack of facts re charter boats sport.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

pathetic. just like your lack of facts re charter boats sport.

Mr Luxton

I will write this slowly in the hope that you might understand. then I will switch you off again.

Firstly I am not particularly interested in charter boats or the people that use them. I have made no claims about charter boats so I don't have to produce any facts to support them.

I know nothing about building

You know nothing about survival at sea.

If I was on here spouting something really stupid and dangerous about building then you would probably contradict me.

When I saw that you had posted on this thread I read what you had to say because I didn't want you posting dangerous nonsense without being challenged.

Once you had posted your nonsense it was odds on that your"partner" Andrew would spout even more.

Neither of you disappointed ;)

This is a very serious subject, particularly on a fishing forum. Many more people read these posts than contribute to them and it is important that these people are at least told the facts about survival on the water rather than the ill informed opinions of someone who is an occasional passenger on a charter boat. You may see yourself as a salty old seadog but believe me, you're not :P

Believe me, that was the ONLY reason I got into a pointless argument with you. Your (and your partner andrew's) opinions mean nothing to me.

You want to go to sea without a life jacket? do the world a favour and fill your boots

Bye

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I mentioned that I twice nearly drowned as a lad. The first time was out bass fishing with my father, an experienced seaman. In fact he was unconscious in the water for 36 hours when his ship was sunk on one of the Malta Convoys. A lifejacket saved his life then.

Despite losing an arm, like you he thought he was lucky. Indeed that was his nickname as he was always coming out of scrapes alive. Stupidly though he didn't wear a lifejacket one occasion when we were bass fishing. Why? Because it was a glorious summer's day. However a storm blew up out of nowhere and the engine broke down. The result was that we were smashed up on the rocks. My father somehow managed to swim ashore one-armed and with me on his shoulders.

The second time I slipped and fell and went through the railings. Luckily I instinctively grabbed one of the rails and saved myself from almost certain death. I wasn't wearing a lifejacket, but even if there had been one available it wouldn't have done me any good, would it?

So I'd ask why don't you like wearing a lifejacket? I find they're like glasses in that you soon totally forget you're wearing them.

And given what I and others have posted here I hope you'll now change your mind. Even if you don't, hopefully others will.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

yup, again pathetic sensless drivel, you sport know nothing about the chatering industry, you offer no facts and figures because of the above, i have clearly demonstrated the safty aspects of the industry and i have challenged you to put up or shut up. Perhaps the latter is the right action for you to take, so go away and stick your fingers in your ears so you won't have to listen to the facts that the charter boat industy and all it entails has become a safe profitable, happy society that provides a lot of anglers a safe environment to conduct thier hobby. Obviously your not part of it, who cares, i don't, have a nice life somewhere else then and keep your snout out of something you know nothing about, ok. see yer.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..