weir pool fishing species

azrael

weirs pools look very interesting places to fish and i would like to know more about the species that you might be able to catch

are there standard species fo fish that you would expect to find in a weir pool? i guess most native species would be present but are you more likely to find some species more then others and what parts of a pool would you find them in.

are babrbel a common species and if yes do they hang around the sill and water fall

are pike present and would they be at the tail of a pool or at least out of the current? any idea?

are some species never present maybe tench or bream or carp

are there species that you are only likely to ever find near a weir or at least more likely to find then at other places.

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

This is a spot I fish on a local river: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10525356@N07/1795163903/

Most people fish the slacker areas of the weirpool but I often wonder how close to where the water comes down the concrete fish would be. And which fish would be caught there.

Sorry can't answer your question but it'll be interesting to see the replies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10525356@N07/...in/photostream/

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Most weirpools I've ever fished are complete aquariums! One in particular on the Osier Bed Stream at Theale used to be brilliant and for a couple of decades I always made a point of starting my season there as you'd never know what it would throw up. I frequently had 8-10 different species in a day - and my best was 12 (16/6/83 - gudegon, dace, chub, roach, perch, pike, bleak, brown trout, barbel, bream, grayling, minnows). In addition to these I also had the odd tench plus my only ever Kennet rudd and eel. Just about the only species I never caught here were carp!!!

There's a pic of said werpool at the bottom of this article I wrote for PP some years ago...

http://www.purepiscator.com/articles/chris...ris_kennet.aspx

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

In addition to these I also had the odd tench plus my only ever Kennet rudd and eel. Just about the only species I never caught here were carp!!!

C.

Interesting about the rudd - I have caught quite a few over the years when having a couple of hours on the river at the second to last weir on the Kennet at County Lock.

I have ahd lots of species from weirpools too. Right underneath you can often get pike.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Weirpools harbour everything - and do not be put off by what seem to be turbulent currents as it is often easy to fish relatively lightly in them, as the current on the bed is often very different to what you might expect. I have fished one weirpool on the Yorkshire Ouse for many years and can recall brown trout , flounder. eel, pike , barbel , perch and bream. Wonderful places to fish.

Of course a weir pool on a small stream is a different animal from on a large river such as the Thames. I know many people fish for barbel under the sill, though others catch them in the slacks or th e tail. There have been previous threads on weir pools - you could try 'search'. I remember someone making the point that barbel, and maybe other species, are likely to be in the w-pool at the start of the season, but some will tend to move downstream as the season goes on. OTOH if there is a very hot spell fish will move up to the WP for the oxygen.

john clarke

What is the best way to fish a weirpool? Heavy maggot feeder or weight would be my first thoughts, but on the tip i would imagine even with your rod tip up high it would be hard to see bites

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."