ABU 506 MkII Closed Face Reel

Rusty

This looks a nice little package. I have the 706 and although learning how to use it hasn’t been completely painless I do like the compact nature and simplicity of these CF reels.

A couple of the improvements over the 706 made me chuckle;

“Improved chenile quality on the spools, so that it works correctly”…tell me about it!

“Improved gear lock design - now the pin secures the gear without damaging it”… that’s good then.

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/abu-506-...uk-postage.html

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

This looks a nice little package. I have the 706 and although learning how to use it hasn’t been completely painless I do like the compact nature and simplicity of these CF reels.

A couple of the improvements over the 706 made me chuckle;

“Improved chenile quality on the spools, so that it works correctly”…tell me about it!

“Improved gear lock design - now the pin secures the gear without damaging it”… that’s good then.

http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/abu-506-...uk-postage.html

Rusty,

I am glad you are finding the delights of the closed faced world. They are brilliant for stick float fishing and almost totally fool proof but would agree with Tigger - the old ones are much better. You'll pick up a nice one for £35 plus p&p on fleabay. The decision you'll have to make is whether go for an original 506 or a modded one with the anti-backwind removed. I prefer to use the drag but its a personal thing. ;)

Have fun.

M

I bought a 506 Mk11 Used it once and sold it.

Much prefer my 501 (Actually, I prefer my DAM CTE to any of them ;) )

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I expect the bag will last longer than the reel if its anything like the closed face abu,s of the last 20 years

Save up. For a 507 or 508

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

if i hadn't already of brought a 706 ,then i might of brought a 506 MKII ,but my 706 doesn't get used that much as i instinctively grab one of my 507's or my 506 .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest bbamboo

Hi Lads

I have a 501 for sale in good working order if anyone is looking for one

£20

Only selling as I have far to many reels.

Gary

I'd use one of the old ones too. I had an 507 MkII, used it once and sold it as it just didn't feel right. I have a soft spot for ABU 501's and 506m. As a youth I did all my most serious fishing with a 501, I caught my first proper carp on one - a 14lber - when I was 15, which is still my biggest carp. I fished the bridgewater canal and a local lake (Lymm Dam) with it and even when it was caked with groundbait it still worked - apart from when the pin stuck, or the line went round the back of the spool, but I have vague recollections of on the spot repairs involving the leaf spring and a match.

EDIT: Oh, and the rotor thread getting worn or crossed so you couldn't get the spool off, and the chenille which could never be replaced adquately by cheap pipe cleaners! Take note Rusty - once the chenille has gone,the line goes anywhere but on the spool!

I still have a 501, a nice 505 (purchased from Chavender) and a 506m. Oh, and one of those Daiwa 120m - but the ABU is much better.

It may be rose tinted glasses, but the older ones are so, err - classic I suppose!

Mike

ps Hi Gary - do you have a photo of the 501 you could ping to me?

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Guest bbamboo
I'd use one of the old ones too. I had an 507 MkII, used it once and sold it as it just didn't feel right. I have a soft spot for ABU 501's and 506m. As a youth I did all my most serious fishing with a 501, I caught my first proper carp on one - a 14lber - when I was 15, which is still my biggest carp. I fished the bridgewater canal and a local lake (Lymm Dam) with it and even when it was caked with groundbait it still worked - apart from when the pin stuck, or the line went round the back of the spool, but I have vague recollections of on the spot repairs involving the leaf spring and a match.

EDIT: Oh, and the rotor thread getting worn or crossed so you couldn't get the spool off, and the chenille which could never be replaced adquately by cheap pipe cleaners! Take note Rusty - once the chenille has gone,the line goes anywhere but on the spool!

I still have a 501, a nice 505 (purchased from Chavender) and a 506m. Oh, and one of those Daiwa 120m - but the ABU is much better.

It may be rose tinted glasses, but the older ones are so, err - classic I suppose!

Mike

ps Hi Gary - do you have a photo of the 501 you could ping to me?

Hi Mike

Can you send me your email my PMs are not getting to you mate