Angling Trust acts to relocate seal to protect Severn fish stocks

Anglers' Net

"

Nit picking Brian, whether the Seal feels at home or not in Bewdley fact is the Seal does not belong there, and the real concern is how it can safely return to the coast, given the locks weirs and over 100 miles of now normal level rivers. I am not calling for it to be shot, and I agree those that do, especially those that are supposed to represent Angling and Anglers are well at best ill informed. I too am well aware of the want of Seals to swim up Rivers, amd here where I live we host a few Seals from time to time, but Bewdley is so far inland to make it impractical for the seal to return without some intervention. In fact you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the UK further from the coast. This is unique, and not at all similar to what you have commented on by your East Coast example.

Hopeless really when we can't even agree on the facts that are before us, what hope then the supposed 'experts' spouting anything that makes sense?

Not nick picking at all, we have seals that migrate up river passing over numerous wiers through lock gates and over fish pass's and surprisingly enough even when the water levels get ridiculously low they still manage to get over and swim downstream to return to the sea, I think the same will happen in Bewdley, when the seals had enough or its tolerance to fresh water becomes so it needs to return to salt it will

I'm not daft enough to think it wont eat specimen fish whilst its in there of course it will and I understand and sympathise with anglers concerns who will be worried about the impact the seal has on their fishing, my angst really is directed at those who have mismanaged the situation to the detriment of local anglers

It would be interesting to see the EA's estimates of fish biomass for that area of the Severn, to put the seal's predation into context. The river is 40-50 metres across, which means a hectare of water is 200-250 metres of river. A harbour seal eats 3-8kg of fish a day.

I would think that the Severn in that region has hundreds of kg of fish per hectare.

It would be interesting to see the EA's estimates of fish biomass for that area of the Severn, to put the seal's predation into context. The river is 40-50 metres across, which means a hectare of water is 200-250 metres of river. A harbour seal eats 3-8kg of fish a day.

I would think that the Severn in that region has hundreds of kg of fish per hectare.

So that would be a roach for breakfast, a barbel for lunch, and a bream for supper. Maybe a few smaller silver fish if it snacks between meals. As much as I catch in a days fishing :):)

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Guest 1lastcast

"

Not nick picking at all, we have seals that migrate up river passing over numerous wiers through lock gates and over fish pass's and surprisingly enough even when the water levels get ridiculously low they still manage to get over and swim downstream to return to the sea, I think the same will happen in Bewdley, when the seals had enough or its tolerance to fresh water becomes so it needs to return to salt it will

I'm not daft enough to think it wont eat specimen fish whilst its in there of course it will and I understand and sympathise with anglers concerns who will be worried about the impact the seal has on their fishing, my angst really is directed at those who have mismanaged the situation to the detriment of local anglers

On that we agree, however your view is that the Seal will find the sea unaided is not shared by me, remember it has to pass through a lot of Urban development. However as of now the Angling Trust has taken over the situation it seems and the crux of it is that they are working with the Seal Trust in an effort to capture it and return, they are of the opinion that the return trip to the sea unaided would just not be feasible.

Guest 1lastcast

It's not that well stocked with fish to sustain a 300lb seal with a need to consume approx 20lb of fish a day. This area of the Severn is the Middle Severn and not at all the same as the Lower which would not be an issue, to describe it think of Lechlade x 2 width.

However as unselfish Anglers we are more concerned as to the welfare of the Seal rather than fish stocks.

Guest 1lastcast

1lastcast,
Oh Dear, you do seem naive about the whole matter. As I said in an earlier post, and Brian in #74, this is not the first time seals have come so far inland, and the R Severn is not the only river with "weirs, locks and whatever else". How do you think they got back? Seals have travelled up rivers (and returned) for as long as there have been seals and rivers, and they will continue to, long after you and I have gone.
Since anglers took it upon themselves to try to make angling, 'high profile', we have come under close scrutiny from all sides. I'm not talking about the 'antis', they will only have limited impact on angling. The general public, are the ones to fear. The misrepresentation of 'facts' by news media, will cause a backlash that could see massive restrictions on angling, if not (eventually) a ban.

Enjoy your 'talking' dolphins, maybe they could explain the situation better than I ever could.

Where did I mention 'talking Dolphins, or is that just a effort to discredit ? If you have to quote, stick to what I said or in this case what I never.

Are you seriously suggesting our sport might be banned because of a few red tops sensationalism?

Do me a favour and stop cowering to the whims of the public, the public don't really give a damn about fish the seal or anglers, yesterday news,

What is important as anglers we should so some concern to the seal, It is Naive of you to think the seal can make the trip,that's why efforts are underway to catch it .... unless there is another flood of Biblical proportions again, which was how the thing got there in the first place. Not a normal set of circumstances at all, so a extraordinary effort is needed.

Naive...me? err No.

Edited by 1lastcast

Missing the point again, we are trying to do what is good for the seal, keep up!!

No 'we're' not, 'we' are trying to get rid of it so it doesn't eat any fish.

If you can't see the relationship between PR disasters like this one and the future of our pastime, I'm doubt there's much point in responding to be honest. If the public don't care what we do, perfect, leave them to it and let the antis try to stir up all the trouble they like - it won't matter because none of it will stick. Give the press a reason to stir up some controversy, wind up joe public, and suddenly angling is right in the firing line. Then the anti groups have hooks to hang their campaigns off.

I have fished the middle Severn quite a few times and each time have been staggered by the fish biomass - topping roach at dawn as far as the eye can see, bream shoals on the echo sounder that are so dense you could almost walk on water and that stretch for a quarter of a mile, leaping salmon, plenty of zander, pike and perch caught to lures. The river is hardly about to run out of fish just because of one seal.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest 1lastcast

If you can't see the relationship between PR disasters like this one and the future of our pastime, I'm doubt there's much point in responding to be honest. If the public don't care what we do, perfect, leave them to it and let the antis try to stir up all the trouble they like - it won't matter because none of it will stick. Give the press a reason to stir up some controversy, wind up joe public, and suddenly angling is right in the firing line. Then the anti groups have hooks to hang their campaigns off.

I have fished the middle Severn quite a few times and each time have been staggered by the fish biomass - topping roach at dawn as far as the eye can see, bream shoals on the echo sounder that are so dense you could almost walk on water and that stretch for a quarter of a mile, leaping salmon, plenty of zander, pike and perch caught to lures. The river is hardly about to run out of fish just because of one seal.

But you keep on about fish stocks

Oh yes I know it's neen a PR own goal, but to think that somehow it will get fishing banned is perhaps taking it a bit far, I have faith in the British public, still, just, but we seem to have to go around apologising for what we do, of course we need to educate, but some just won't listen, no matter what.

So let's all Save Sammy (or Keith) and then the public will love us all.

Actually it has started if you read the AT's latest news output, that's not the Times btw.

Are you seriously suggesting our sport might be banned because of a few red tops sensationalism?

So you can't see how the "public's opinion" matters? The Anti mob can crow on about fishing being cruel until the cows come home. The plain fact is not many care about the welfare of fish, be that sea fish or freshwater but they do care about most other creatures. Catching a fish on a hook means very little to most of the public, hay they dont even care that the fish they eat are slowly crushed and suffocated before being gutted alive. The anti's will never make any progress or win more support with the idea that fishing is cruel to fish. Most people just don't care one way or the other.

The only threat to angling is when it impacts on other wildlife or water users and the minority like the top brass of the Angling Trust seem so blinded by the idea to fight for fishing rights over every other concern that they will drag us all down a path that can only lead to angling loosing in the long term.

Most of the public think it's a seal it's supposed to eat fish. Just like Otters, Cormomorants etc. The AT are not doing anything for the benefit of the Seal, it's a purely selfish act made worse as the shooting comment was made under the banner as speaking for all angling. Most people don't know much about angling and could happily go through most of there lives with out it ever coming to their attention. We could quietly go about our enjoyment of fishing but a certain minority seem obsessed about spouting off about culling this or that to protect fish stocks and pushing the negative side of fishing in to every ones face.

Not sure what is worse to stir up anger with the public by suggesting to kill a seal with a name or having them laugh at us for getting upset when a fish with a name dies.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Where did I mention 'talking Dolphins, or is that just a effort to discredit ? If you have to quote, stick to what I said or in this case what I never.

Do me a favour and stop cowering to the whims of the public, the public don't really give a damn about fish the seal or anglers, yesterday news,

What is important as anglers we should so some concern to the seal, It is Naive of you to think the seal can make the trip,that's why efforts are underway to catch it .... unless there is another flood of Biblical proportions again, which was how the thing got there in the first place. Not a normal set of circumstances at all, so a extraordinary effort is needed.

Naive...me? err No.

1lastcast,

You mentioned dolphins 'asking' .......as in communicating.........similar to 'talking', Maybe I should have said 'Enjoy your communicating dolphins, maybe they can explain'.

Can you explain how other seals in a similar situation have got back to the sea? Although not that common, it happens often enough not to be classed as extremely rare. Is there something unusual about that part of the Severn, or do you know if the seal has some handicap or injury?

If you think that public opinion holds no sway, then sorry, but you are naive. I have experienced restrictions, (and even bans) on waters due to public opinion. Usually on council run waters, where some spurious 'fact' has been used to show the negative impact anglers have had on the local wildlife or surroundings.

Of course the welfare of the creature is important, I've not seen anyone say otherwise, and I still say, (as do the EA, English Nature, and the RSPCA), the best thing to do is let it find it's own way back, and only intervene if it's in danger.

Oh, and the idiots should stop feeding it!

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John