Faith and hope, can you tell the difference?

corydoras

Well, that was a wasted 30 odd minutes listening to a lecture on the 'bleedin' obvious. Of course faith and hope are different.

Also, suggesting that we should change/limit the definition of a word to justify some personal 'sound bite' on religion, doesn't add weight to his utterings.

John.

It may be "bleedin' obvious" to you but it is not so bleedin' obvious to a lot of religious types, especially the fundamentalist ones.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I knew a few scientists who were devoutly religious when I was a PhD student, Jim. Not many, but a few. They seemed to somehow completely compartmentalise the two approaches to understanding reality. Very odd.

I know exactly what you mean. Take this guy as an example. Now before I go on let me just say that I LIKE Ken Miller, He is a cell and molecular biologist and he is is currently Professor of Biology and Royce Family Professor for Teaching Excellence at Brown University. He was an expert witness for the plaintiff at the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District Intelligent Design trial, but he is also a devout Catholic.

Here he is proving that we share a common ancestor with the chimpanzee.

If you corner him on his religious beliefs he just says "it's a question of faith" Why such a brilliant mind should feel the need to pretend to know things he cannot possibly know is beyond me, I just don't get it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

No, I don't get it either, it makes no sense to me.

Have you seen the movie "Prometheus"? One of the criticisms levelled at it was that one of the characters was just like Ken Miller ("I choose to believe"), and some viewers didn't find the character believable. These people do exist, though.

I know highly intelligent people who are not scientists but who have thought deeply about it and come out as theists - for example John on here and a Catholic priest I used to know who was also a philosophy lecturer at my university. I don't understand why they believe what they do either, it makes only a little less sense to me than a believing scientist.

Yes,

"Faith" had the serial number N5520 and her Bristol Mercury engine was salvaged from a Bristol Blenheim and so used a three bladed prop. "Hope", serial no. N5531 used the conventional Gloster Gladiator two bladed prop.....as did "Charity" (N5519).

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

No I've never seen the movie, but I'll look out for it now. I didn't think you would have heard of Ken, he is hardly a household name in the UK. Talking of Catholic preists have you heard of this guy George Coyne. A brilliant mind. There is an excellent video on the web with him in conversation with Dawkins. It's a really good debate although I don't think debate is the right name for it they are really just having a chat.

DISCLAIMER

Don't click unless you have an hour to waste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeF5x_5zxlw

Edited by corydoras

Cory,

I couldn’t do that guy all the way through. What I did watch I couldn’t understand. Not from an intellectual point of view, I’m hard of hearing and his consonant sounds cannot
be well separated (b,c,p,d, etc)

Much of our everyday life is based on scientific theory and that too is assurance about things unseen. IMO a theory is simply a word for faith used in secular conversation to avoid religion.

Faith often describes philosophies as belief without evidence which may or may not be religious. I trust and have confidence in religious faith. Seems it would be/is no different than a theory that the sun will rise again.

From a religious aspect, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1 (King James Version)” (I believe this is the only passage where both words are in the same sentence (?).

You know George Bernard Shaw? I think he was much like you (?). “God, forgive me the little jokes I play on you – and I’ll forgive you the BIG joke you have played on me.”

Phone

DISCLAIMER

Don't click unless you have an hour to waste

I do hope that this wasn't for my benefit cory, I've already seen the clip. :D

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've not come across George Coyne, I'll try to watch that later. A Jesuit, no doubt.

This is the obituary of the chap I used to know - I didn't know he was dead until now, though he was in his mid sixties when I knew him in the early 90's, so I suppose there was a good chance of it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/fr-john-fitzgerald-carmelite-priest-and-poet-764312.html

Edited by Steve Walker

Cory,

Both faith and hope are not black and white. For example, to much faith and you become a car bomber. To much hope and you become a compulsive gambler. I know, not the best examples but you get my drift.

Phone