Interesting Otter Piece

Elton

Maybe not but I often equate animal and fish behavior to what we know best our own.

If you were on the top of a slide, starving hungry and needed to conserve energy. A waiter came up behind you and tipped your order of food on the slide in front of you and it was slipping away.

Would you grab the sprouts or that big bit of roast beef.

John

p.s don't give me all that vegitarian sh*t :kissing:

John, Otters are like Carp anglers they are happy to exist on a diet of weed.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Reports are that the biggest fish seem to vanish first, well parts of them as the bodies are often found on the bank, as they are easier to catch and are too big to hide like the little ones.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE.
IT ONLY WORKS PROPERLY WHEN IT IS OPEN.

As far as I know otters have been released all over the country and they have made a big hole in the barbel stocks in the Great Ouse north of the big smoke as well as other places. They are known to go for the biggest fish first and that hurts .

Table 1 Otter releases/re-introduction1983Ð1999 (in England)

Otters Released Number of

Release No. Year Otters Date River

01 1983 1/2 5 July Blackbourne

02 1984 1/2 16 July Thet

03 1984 1/1 2 October Waveney

04 1985 1/2 3 July Minsmere

05 1987 1/0 2 June Minsmere

06 1987 1/1 16 September Glaven

07 1988 1/1 26 September Catfield

08 1989 1/1 6 May Stour (Dorset)

09 1989 1/1 7 December Wylie (Wilts)

10 1989 1/1 11 December Yare (Norfolk)

11 1990 1/1 2 July By Brook (Wilts)

12 1990 1/1 20 October Catfield

13 1991 1/2 14 May Glaven

14 1991 1/2 26 May Stour (Dorset)

15 1991 1/2 9 October Lea/Ash (Herts)

16 1991 1/2 7 December Stort (Herts)

17 1992 1/1 29 March Waveney (Norfolk)

18 1992 1/2 10 July Wissey (Norfolk)

19 1992 1/0 14 August Glaven (Norfolk)

20 1992 1/0* 14 August Yare (Norfolk)

21 1993 1/2 19 May Tiffey (Norfolk)

22 1993 1/2 30 June Deben (Suffolk)

23 1993 1/2 August Itchen (Hampshire)

24 1993 1/0* October Wissey (Norfolk)

25 1994 1/2 May/June Gwash (Rutland)

26 1994 0/1* 1 June Itchen (Hampshire)

27 1994 2/2 July/Sept Welland (Rutland)

28 1994 1/2 14 October Catfield (Norfolk)

29 1994 2/2 November Willowbrook (Northants)

30 1995 2/0* 22 March Wissey (Norfolk)

31 1995 2/2 30 April & 30 May Gt. Ouse (Beds.)

32 1995 2/2 27 July & August Ouse Washes (Cambs.)

33 1995 2/2 29 Sept & Oct Glem (Suffolk)

34 1995 2/2 11 & 29 October Nene (Northants)

35 1996 1/1 April Waveney (Norfolk)

36 1996 2/2 4 & 30 June Hamford Water (Essex)

37 1998 2/4 June-November River Ivel (Beds.)

38 1999 6/11 March-October Upper Thames (3 sites)

Up to the end of 1999, 117 otters had been released by the

Otter Trust.

* indicates a replacement.

Otters are known to eat fish. Like any predator they will go for the prey animal that offers the maximum nutritional benefits against effort expended to catch it. Large fish may not be able to "hide" but fish such as barbel can swim much faster and much farther than an otter. To consistently catch large barbel in a suitable (for barbel) river it is likely that these prey individuals are not at the peak of fitness. Persistent angling pressure on such rivers whereby repeated captures of specimen fish are common can cause fish to suffer from lactate build up that severely limits a fishes ability to swim at peak speed/duration. Recovery times from lactate build up are increased exponentially following successive captures within (approximately) 12-48 hours.

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

Why would you prolong this thread with facts?

Phone

Phone,

For the same reason that people keep posting inaccurate rumours about otters!

Worms,

• Like 1

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Trouble is, people don't want to hear the truth.

Another thing they probably won't like to hear - if the natural state of a given river is more otters and smaller barbel, that's what it ought to be restored to. To come out with all the "guardians of the waterways" guff and then express a preference for a native mammal to be absent from a river for the sake of an ego trip driven by a number on a scale takes some chutzpah!

• Like 3

Trouble is, people don't want to hear the truth.

Another thing they probably won't like to hear - if the natural state of a given river is more otters and smaller barbel, that's what it ought to be restored to. To come out with all the "guardians of the waterways" guff and then express a preference for a native mammal to be absent from a river for the sake of an ego trip driven by a number on a scale takes some chutzpah!

Although I've often tried, I couldn't put it better myself Steve, Spot on.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

kiri,

The diet numbers are interesting. Where cray are abundantly present our otters fish diet is only 33%.

We've been down this road before.

Phone

Edit: Otter, big males, eat one Kg a day. So one third is one third of a Kg of fish. Much less in winter.

Edited by Phone

im a bit like Cory on this; ill believe what I see with my own eyes....

a lot of stuff I think is being blamed on otters; and a lot of it simply doesn't sit right with my knowledge of how they feed and hunt.

if, one day, im sitting down and I see an otter dragging a 20lb carp out of the water and merrily eat a very small portion of it...then ill change my mind somewhat....

until then I kind of think they will take easy prey...they will eat smaller fish and their preferred diet...and if a fishery doesn't recognise the fact 100's of fish are being slaughtered around its banks and left in piles of bones then something about the fishery owner just isn't right! :)