OK, I don't want to become "the complete" Carp fisherman....

Old geezer

There is no tirade against you or kiri, Old Geezer. Please don't take this the wrong way. :)

A pen rod isn't going to do much to "lighten your load" as the problem with weight is not your rod or reel its the end tackle that you take. Start looking at your backpack rather than your rod for reducing weight.

In hand:

12ft float rod

Landing net

In small backpack(could even be fit in to a small box or pockets):

Small fixed spool reel

A few floats floats

A packet of hooks

A little tub of split shot

A tub of hook bait

A packet of micro pellets

That's about all you really need on a commercial, groundbait is not so much of an issue as commercials see so much of it so the pellets are just an audible attraction.

But as this is a forum and people are entitled to their opinions. Your well within your rights to take it or leave it, unless of course this is some sort of cleverly crafted advertising campaign.

And that is the biggest smack in the mouth of all

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

Guest 1lastcast

And that is the biggest smack in the mouth of all

Come on fella lighten up, but anyone looking at the way this thread was going down the path of Toys 'R' Us it did seem a bit odd to say the least, and let's face it celebrity endorsement is OK if thy actually mean it but Des Taylor??

So there you have it, and some great advice from Andy, without any axe to grind whatsoever.

Guest 1lastcast

1last,

I thought your same thoughts about your comments on the blanks from the "good old days". I like Andys comment "fit for the purpose". What could that be all about?

Phone

It's either a ''Things were better when I was a kid thing'' Phone , or a very reasonable observation that only just a few years ago manufacturing was done in some countries other than China / Malaya, unless I am out of touch the quality and build seemed to last beyond the first six months of use.

Good English brands like Drennan are slowly giving in to the cheap labor source of the Far East, the reality is folk are paying more for the discontinued rods then the new stuff.

Your Penn reels are a good example.

No blood no foul!
I don't see any nastiness here.
I clearly stated I never "advertise" here because of the rules and I've only offered website info because I was specifically asked. You will also note my sig doesn't contain any links to the website; just my videos, my twitter and my clubs website.
I've also never stated that these will replace a full sized rod...in fact quite the opposite!
What I will state is that they will "handle" double figure fish....and I have caught and landed numerous ones on them! The videos I refer to are in my sig...and that's me doing the catching!!
Do I sell the product? Nope. Do get money for sales? Nope. Have I stock in the UK? Nope.
I have no vested interest in them for profit other than they got me back into fishing after numerous years out of it; I now test new products in the range and create videos showing what they can do.
That's it.
If people buy one on the power of my vids then excellent; is it my job to sell them? Nope!

But I will be honest about them because I have seen first hand how much fun they can be! Yeah you won't want to tangle with a double figure carp in a snagged up swim...they simply won't provide the control you need.
But if you stop and see a river to fish, or fancy some roach snatching, or have a lake stocked with carp up to 5lb ish then I promise you these rods will provide pleasurable fishing!

I agree with Andy and 1lastcast; you can do the light fanny pack stuff with a good 5 or 7 piece rod...as I do with my Shimano and Avanti. Are pen rods a gimmic? They are "gimmicky"; but they are fully functional as well....
I wouldn't back them if I don't truly think so.....as Andy knows...I speak my mind....and if I didn't think Geezer, or anyone here, would enjoy using one then I would just say: " hey, you know what? Don't bother with them!"
I've had hours of pleasure using mine, on lakes, rivers and even harbour walls. And I know that in the majority of fishing situations I could use one quite happily, knowing it will handle much of what I catch!

I'm no celebrity either...I'm a pleasure fisherman who fishes for exactly that reason...pleasure! And these rods and reels ave provided that for me in spades!! And I'll say again...I'll take anyone fishing for a day and they can come try them out themselves if they so wish!
They really are alot of fun and truly surprising in what hey can do!

Finally; if you truly believe this is an advertising ploy...then report me! Simple!

oh an 1lastcast...its KIRISUTE or KIRI..not KRIS....the clue is in the spelling you see? if you struggle with it just take a look on there..just above the guy holding the carp! :) heheheh (and this is just teasing mate...not being serious at all!!)

Edited by kirisute

Guest 1lastcast

I see no reason for this tirade against me or Kiri. Remember it was me who asked for details. I seek ways to lighten my load. I'm 61 and can not lug all the gear around for much longer.

Remember, we have no car and if we want to go fishing I have to load up tackle for two.

61 and you think you are Old?

Heaven help us, I really thought you were in your 80's

1last,

Yes, your probably right - - - maybe? That's what my grandpa said too. My heart was broken when ZanStaal "sold out" on us. It matters little whether you are right or wrong - it was yesterday. Did you know they no longer teach cursive writing in school? Replaced by keyboarding. What a shame, I loved reading good penmanship.

Phone

I was a champion of E-Glass when it was introduced. Still my favorite rods