OK, I don't want to become "the complete" Carp fisherman....

Old geezer

Seriously; they won't and are not designed to replace a "full size" rod.

Having said that I've caught everything from roach and dace through to double figure carp! Pike, chub, trout....in the US there are bass, walleye, bluegills and even catfish being caught happily! Even the world record 21lb carp!

Most of them on YouTube vids!

Are they any good?

They are shockingly impressive....truly! I wouldn't say that if I didn't have faith in them and know what they can do!

I push them to and beyond breaking point....but I wouldn't have any fear whatsoever of pulling one out at any fishing venue and trying my luck.

For keeping in the car, taking on holiday with you, or just for fun they are brilliant. And I would happily offer anybody a days fishing with me to see just how much fun they can be!!

You both need to invest in pen rods!, lol!

What make are yours? I've been looking at the Des Taylor ones for a while now but still undecided :unsure:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

They are Chinese rods but the company makes them either as standard rods or to bespoke designs.

The Des Taylor ones used to be standard blanks and eyes etc. dunno if they still are....

The ones I test are bespoke design patterns in both length and eye design; with eye inserts and extra sections to ensure they are better quality.

Penfishingrods.com is the only place I know for the ones I use. It's their products I test. You will pay more than the Des Taylor sets but you will get a better product. You will also get a lifetime guarantee and of course you will get the support of the official UK Contact....namely....er....ME! :)

They are also the only company I know of that carries the full selection of reels for them; front drag, rear drag, centrepin and baitcaster. I've never seen those reels anywhere else.

There are also copycat versions on eBay and various other UK stores...but again they are the cheapest versions and you usually get a real crap non free spooling reel with them. Seriously be really careful of those reels, they are an utter waste of time!

As for price, most UK ones will be about £25 to £35 quid....

Penfishingrods.com will depend on your combo of reel and rod but I always suggest about $60 inc shipping.

If you don't believe what they can do then just watch my YouTube channel....no trickery or fake stuff going on..it's me, my dad and mate simply catching fish on the rods!

I got into the rods when I bought a UK version for my dad on Father's Day...it came with a crappy non free spooling reel! That's how I found penfishingrods.com and also how I got back into fishing again!!

Edited by kirisute

Here ya go

1361125462060.jpg

It's a Mad Dog fanny pack,

Shimano tribal rod and Daiwa telescopic net

Then.....

1361125652282.jpg

All of this comes out!!

The Shimano is expensive for sure...but it's 2.75 test curve and goes 6 foot 6 or 7 foot 6...it's super light and really tactile to fish with.

You could go far cheaper with a Shakespeare odyssey telescopic or an Avanti (dragon carp direct) travel float rod..both will do what you want.

You can see the three pen rods in the centre, they are fully telescopic and got just over 5 foot. The three reels are just next to them... Ultra light tackle but I have landed my PB carp on one at 17.5 lbs and the current world record carp on one is 21lb!!

Pouches on left are small multi tool and bread punches.

So with a bit of thought its not that hard to set up a kit and have it ready to go no matter where you are!!

The only thing I didn't photo here is my Catana reel...but if you go for a 4000 or 3600 rear dag they are small enough to fit in any fanny pack anyway! And they are superb quality!!

You can even get telescopic bank sticks! So no reason at all to be burdened with heavy kit!!

The only extra I would carry is the mat and chair.

Add a loaf of bread and a bag of feeder pellets and your days fishing is good to go!! :)

Not surprised you have to scale down your kit.

You must need loads of room to carry enough of them giant tutti frutti boilies for a days fishing :-)

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Boolmarked the website and looking :)

Ditto, thanks for the link Kirisute :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.