MOT Certificate & car tax

davidP

My wifes car has its tax renewal at the end of August. The renewal form has come through and says we need an MOT certificate from 23rd September which is when it reaches 3 years old. Does this mean I can't tax it without an MOT (ie I need to get it done early) or is it just warning me that the first MOT is due within the next car tax period?? I assume it's the latter, but I thought I'd just check with you lot - the fonts of all knowledge (and quite a lot of anti-knowledge!)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David

If the car is less than three years old at the time of taxing it then you don't need an MOT for it that is the goverments own ruling, so at a guess i would say it was just letting you know that the car will be liable for its first MOT test from the 23/11/02.

I think the easiest thing would be to ask at the local transport office, police station or ring the DVLA in Swansea (numbers in the phone book) which ever you contact ask them to give you the answer in writting so you're covered.

[ 23. August 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: ALAN FAWCETT ]

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Hi David, I'm with Alan on this one, i think he has it right.

Just pop into your nearest Post Office , one that does the Road Tax Disc's and show them your form,they will soon tell you what's what, as i have often heard the assistants refusing Tax Disc's quoting rules and regs with relish and customers getting very :mad:

Don't go on pension day though

Richard.

Use a Lure Instead !! ;)

Hi folks.... a little bit of input from an MOT tester.

quote:

The renewal form has come through and says we need an MOT certificate from 23rd September which is when it reaches 3 years old.

If your Local Post/Tax Office get a little shirty about no MOT certificate, go to your local MOT station and get the test done, but make sure you ask them to post date the certificate to 23rd sept (which is when it is due)

Make sure that you also take with you the registration document so they can take the serial number and enter it into the appropriate box on the VT20 (pass certificate)

You are legally allowed a maximum of 13 months MOT so anytime after today, 23rd August is fine to take it for its 1st test.

Terry

i cannot see a problem ,clever people will squeeze 18months tax from their mot ,as long as the car doesnt need an mot when its taxed it should get the tax ,best way is to try :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The reason i posted saying you need to test it,is cos i had the same prob when my test was due shortly after the tax due date and the post office would'nt tax mine without the test certificate. :mad: :mad:

And now a few words from an OLD!! MoT tester! If the test is due on the 23rd of September and the tax runs out on the 31st of August (of the same year) you will NOT be required to obtain a test certificate to tax the car.

As the vehicle is under 3 years old (This will be on the Vehicle registration document) It does NOT require a current Mot Test and you should point this out to the counter staff at the time should they get "Funny". If however they do get "Funny" you should report them to the head honcho at the post office for (Being a complete 'arse!) not being in comliance with the licensing laws of this country.

Chris

Ps If this does not work, try breaking down in tears!! Works every time,GUARANTEED!!! :D:D:D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Ok I'm with the MOT testers here, I used to work as Dep Manager of the local Vehicle registration office, You only need a current MOT and insurance on the day the tax commences so in your case as you dont need an MOT on 1 sept you dont need an MOT to tax it,unless you forget to tax it until after the 23rd sept!, the post office should know this but to be sure why not take or post the application to your nearest VRO they'll do it for you. If you think about it the MOT could be needed in 5 months and 29 days time or anything in between and you wouldnt expect to need an MOT then, the principle is the same.

You used to be able to ring DVLC and generally get helpful advice now you get 1/2 hour of press button 1, press button 2 etc etc ... bl**dy automated answering machines!

Dan

[ 23. August 2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com