People fishing in closed season AGAIN

Louise

Louise:

I don't THINK there are trout in the Colne, but as Ricey said, you can never be sure what is in a river nowadays,!

I used to live in Earls colne and there are Trout in there, i had a 2lb brown on worm from the wall of the pub i lived in.

Apparently along the river some-where there is a trout farm, and when it rains, it overflows into the coln.

Theres some nice fish in that river including some monster perch and eels.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite agree Phil, and I'm not trying to defend the guy, it's just that I think angling as a sport could do more to promote and inform, especially with regard to youngsters.

Where's the 'ANY' key?

I had an argument last week while working next to a river, the bloke who was fishing told me i should shut my mouth as i don't know what i'm on about, everyone knows there's no closed season anymore and if i was a fisherman i'd know it.........so i got my rod licence out of my wallet to prove i was an angler and then i showed him my "works" ID which caused the guy to look rather pale and stutter something about "his mate told him there wasn't a closed season anymore".

When he realised i wasn't being a **** just for the fun of it (well ok i was but hey ...i was bored ) i explained that there is no longer a closed season on canals and still waters but it still remains on the rivers.

he packed up and left and to give him his due he even apologised for saying i wasn't an angler, turned out nice again an't it?

phil hackett:

“Ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law.”

Sorry Phil but i have to disagree with you there.

I to was always led to believe that ingnorance is no defence BUT read the papers/angling comics and you will see the stories of "asylum seekers" or "immigrants" who have got away with catching and killing fish from commercials ect because they didn't know they couldn't do it, its allowed in their homeland so they assume it's allowed here and they get away with a telling off :(

In one of the places i work at a student Doctor has just got away with no tax, mot or insurance on his sports car because they don't have it in his own country!!

Rubbish he knew what he was doing.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

There are Trout in the Colne.

Louise / Ricey

If he was fishing the Colne did you ask to see his CAPS membership?

If he did not have one he is poaching, if he did produce one you could of reported him to the club secutary.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I am not a great beliver in the value of the close season , but as it is illegal to fish rivers during this period then the law is the law. However, perhaps to make it fair and to detrmine if the person is after trout or not just make it illegal to fish rivers during the close season full stop. rod & line, worms, bait, flies, spinners, nets and jam jars or even Dynamite. it should be the same for all either fully open or fully closed. Otherwise it seems like the rule exists to allow fly fishermen on the river at the expense of the coarse angler.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Peter M:

Otherwise it seems like the rule exists to allow fly fishermen on the river at the expense of the coarse angler.

Steady on Peter, you're getting a bit too close for comfort there!

Well I don't know the different areas of the Colne THAT WELL at the moment, so I wasn't sure who owned that particular stretch, so didn't want to demand a particular document to be laughed at! I went into radcliffes (tackle shop) yesterday and the area he was fishing belongs to Paxman angling club, and as they have only just released their membership forms I doubt he was fishing legally. DJ - Interesting that there are trout in the Colne. Where abouts is Earls Colne? I live next to castle park in colchester.

I agree about signage - the EA (with our rod licence money) should actually make it clear that licences are required including at commercial lakes, canals and rivers.

It seems a big task, but it is not as daunting as it would first appear - most lakes could have signs mailed to them that were 'compulsory' to display.

We are complaining about a guy on a river here. More absurd is the fact that upto half of the people at day ticket lakes don't have rod licences - but how many times have you ever been asked at a lake (by the owner/baliff) for your rod licence and how many signs are there instructing you that you must have one - many people honestly don't know I believe...

Also ignorance is a defence - maybe not legally - but most policeman are not going to write up someone illegally fishing. They will give them a stern word, take their name and if caught again perhaps consider action. Jesus - a while back someone nicked my car - was caught working on the thing(removing serial numbers) in his own driveway, yet still wasn't prosecuted....

The crazy world we live in!

Ian W

quote:

Wag in answer to most of your questions the law is very clear, “Ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law.” What that means is it’s your responsibility to avail yourself of the rules of a particular law.
Sorry Phil but I too think this is boll*x :rolleyes:

I can just see it now, a man walks in to a shop on a Sunday, buys a pot noodle and once outside proceeds to pour, from his flask (that was taken from his ar*e pocket), boiled water.

A police officer, 7411, :rolleyes: approaches him and informs the culprit he is breaking the law..."ehhh? :( did not know one could not eat a pot noodle on a Sunday officer?" :confused:

"c'mon son!!! who do you think you're kidding?, everyone knows the law of Negative Noodle Sunday". :rolleyes: