Going back to the mindset of your first days?

Dave H

All,

Much of this thread is "cultural".

A young man and an old man were fishing on a pier.The young man started telling the old one that the night before he caught a trout that was over 3 1/2 foot long.

The old man replied "Oh yea, well I was here 2 nights ago and I hooked something huge. After a 30 minute fight I finaly got it up and it was an old lantern and the thing was still lit."

The young man said "Your lying. I can't believe that."

Then the old man said "I'll tell you what, you knock a couple of foot off your trout and I'll blow out my lantern."

Phone

I see, what you call 'trapping' I call 'bad angling' or 'casting anywhere'.

I would call 'trapping' fishing in a way where once you've cast you leave it and wait for a fish to find your bait, take it, and hook itself. I do quite a bit of that type of fishing, including the upstream feeder for roach on the river, which has made catching those tricky roach bordering on easy. It's been around for a while now though, and is seen as a skillful and traditional method. It might be both of those, but it's also a self-hooking method that does all the work for you. A 'sleeper' rod, if you like, or a 'dead line' or 'fixed engine' ;)

On the other hand, if I'm fishing 2 rods on alarms for perch, is that 'trapping'? I'm using running rigs, and if I don't strike at the right time they eject the bait. Both rods will be cast out and left alone until I get a bite, or want to recast with fresh bait. On the face of it, modern lazy angling of the worst kind; actually, way more involved and difficult than feeder fishing for those roach with a single rod.

As with most things, nothing in angling is completely black or white, Andrew, and as I've said, it's not the method, it's how it's used. I've spent many hours upstream legering, (not often with a feeder I admit), and yes if it's balanced the fish will hook themselves. But even though I knew it was likely to happen, I didn't leave it to fish itself, while I did other things. I suspect that's the same with you. I also fished like that, and in that place, for a reason. It might be the only way to reach the swim, or fishing downstream caused too many missed bites, or whatever, I wasn't just chucking it up there because I felt like it. Just because it worked at the time, I never thought it was 'the method' and used it everywhere I fished. So there is a difference between the two. Your example of perch fishing is again different to what I described. The fact that you use alarms makes no difference, You are casting to a likely spot, and fishing it. You're not, (at least I hope not:unsure: ), just casting them out and leaving them to fend for themselves while you occupy your time with other things.

As I said in another post, one of my fears is that because everything is ready made and available, (and recommended by some celeb'), many anglers are losing any sense on innovation, or even to think for themselves. I see it all the time, and we've even had posts on here proving it. I don't like using the phrase 'dumbing down' but i can't think of another way of saying it. The 'hands on' approach to angling seems to be disappearing amid the rush to provide everything ready made, often whether it's actually needed or not. This results in a method/product being used without understanding why. It's good enough that the media or the latest angling icon says it's a 'must have' piece of kit.

I have taken a few youngsters under my wing over the years, and the first thing I try to drill into them is think. Think what you are doing, and why you are doing it. Think how a method can be adapted to suit your fishing. Don't just use it as 'advertised', think why it works, and in what situation. I'm proud to say that most of the kids I've helped are still fishing, and most remember what I've said, and acted on it. My son bumps into one when he goes for a drink, and he's always going on about the part I played in his early angling, (much exaggerated I add). My son doesn't mind because he usually buys him a pint while he's telling him:D .

Although I don't use or even agree with some methods, I accept that others do, and that's fine. What gets me is when something is used just because it's the 'in thing', not knowing why, and sometimes even how it works. It happened with things in the past I know, but to a lesser extent, probably because angling was more 'low profile', and less commercial, and 'new' things weren't 'invented' as often as today.

I could go on but I'd better stop ranting, it'll be getting even more boring for some. :yawn:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

All,

Much of this thread is "cultural".

Phone

What you got against culture Phone?

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Phone, I expected you to mount a greater defence of Carp fishing :-)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi guys, Some eloquent theories here. Like most older anglers "I've been there and done that" and today I go out to enjoy myself with out dated tackle and methods, but still catch plenty of fish.

Anyone who read my blog post can see that. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/roach-come-out-to-play-in-the-park/

Today I went out to catch some chub from an overgrown bit of river and with a pound chub in the net, struck into a good two pounder, which snagged me then came out complete with the branch, fought all over the river, still with the snag on my line and I couldn't get the chub in my landing net, because the branch caught in the net with the chub thrashing about outside. Dragged the lot in, only for the chub then to dive under the bank and snap the hook link. Now that was as exciting as any fish I've caught and must admit that I was in a state of panic for the last minute. That's what fishing is about, not Matt Hayes and co bringing in yet another 20lb carp from some exclusive water.

Dale

You have stood under bus stops in the rain and so have I. I am sure you have come across the style of angler I have described and so have I as mentioned as I am sure other anglers have stood in rain under bus stops and experienced the carp angler or any angler act like that on day ticket waters.

That's it. That's all. Just that. I am not putting you into any box nor myself or anybody else? Sticking to convictions? The post was not about being in competition with anyone? ...I think mate you see too much in these posts that are just not there. :rtfm: I don't and never will criticize anyone's angling on here or on the bank as one I would not be so rude but mostly they could fish with a banana on the end of a bit of string for all I care. :doh:

Put the kettle on and I will bring the spuds. :)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hi guys, Some eloquent theories here. Like most older anglers "I've been there and done that" and today I go out to enjoy myself with out dated tackle and methods, but still catch plenty of fish.

Anyone who read my blog post can see that. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/roach-come-out-to-play-in-the-park/

Today I went out to catch some chub from an overgrown bit of river and with a pound chub in the net, struck into a good two pounder, which snagged me then came out complete with the branch, fought all over the river, still with the snag on my line and I couldn't get the chub in my landing net, because the branch caught in the net with the chub thrashing about outside. Dragged the lot in, only for the chub then to dive under the bank and snap the hook link. Now that was as exciting as any fish I've caught and must admit that I was in a state of panic for the last minute. That's what fishing is about, not Matt Hayes and co bringing in yet another 20lb carp from some exclusive water.

That genuinely made me laugh out loud, Ken. It sounds so much like one (of many) of my own exploits, it's uncanny. If there's a snag in the peg, you can guarantee that my fish will find it, repeatedly in some cases.

Some of my best sessions have been on a little river like the ones you fish. The Seven, in North Yorkshire, is a particular favourite. The fish aren't big - although I once had a near 5 pound chub from there - but the surroundings and the intimacy of the place more than make up for it.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Put the kettle on and I will bring the spuds. :)

Use spuds not likely, well not unless they come in barrel shape with matching pellet :)

Maybe best to agree we don't agree on much.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek