When WE were kids

Chris Plumb

you could play in the road ,probably because not many could afford a car (or afford to run it) i think its the old adage "the old days" that older people hark on about , things such as " you could go out and leave your door open" maybe it was because you didnt have much worth nicking :( we did yesterday we went out all day leaving the back door open ) nothing was taken (i wont make a habbit of it though)

kids were brought up to appreciate that actions had reactions , if i fell out of a tree i got hurt ,a kid falling from a tree nowadays is rushed to hospital in a neckbrace ,blue lights flashing ,the parents in the back already on the phone discussing how much to sue the unfortunate next door neighbour whos tree they were climbing :(

there were child mollesters about then its just that the papers never found out and they had a fair trial if the several warnings from the police didnt work ,nowadays just the inference of it and the suspect is front page news and already guilty.

kids were freer to act as kids then ,nowadays they have to grow up to fast

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swimming in the Severn, hanging on to a dinghy behind a pleasure boat, getting a whack from an oar, diving off Worcester bridge in front of a gathering crowd, and what you certainly would not get to-day, a clip around the ear from a Bobby for scrumping,making a gun with an old bycicle pump, powered by the contents removed from bangers. How did i live through it all ?

[ 19. December 2002, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

A bag of jam sandwiches and a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock - out all day, back before dark. I plan to visit all the sites of my young roving, just for old times sakes you understand?

DCB

Ride my bike alone at night to feed my horse.

Ride the horse bare back throu the streets.

Canter on every grass verge possible, this would be near impossible to do now where I live :(

Hang off railway bridges and watch the trains,

Buy four jammie dodgers or Rich tea biscuits at school for 1p (i think)

Get sixpence pocket money :D

Get grounded for the day for pinching sweets from the corner shop.

Camp out in the local woods, without a tent :confused

Some great memories.

The freedom to explore, play & be a little brat in relative safety. :D:D

Another thing the kids of today miss out on, they never get the chance to experience the full on delights of illnesses that are mere inconveniences now.

Aye we've had the best of it! :rolleyes::D

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Adz. you have mail.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

It just came back to me... fixing up an old BSA bantam and riding it around my mates back garden, no safety gear of course.

Swimming in our local canal ... try that one today folks!

We used to play in an old quarry, making hidden dens and using old abandoned railway carriages and derelict cars from which we could remove the seats.

It was about two miles from home, I rode there on my bike, we walked for miles, I once did about 15 miles in a day and went out again the next day!

Am I correct in remembering that it never rained back then?

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Snotty - yer right. The sun always shone on us kids so you didn't need a bivvy or wellies.

My only concession to the weather was an ex-navy duffle coat, second hand from the WD Stores, for night fishing on the Thames at Teddington. Big balls of breadpaste and a candle in a jam jar. Dough bobbin off the rod end and life was complete.

Minnow traps on the River Mole then over to Frensham Ponds for big perch, well perch anyway.

Snitching lob worms on the local cricket pitch, then off eel fishing.

Newts and redthroats on a worm tied to a piece of cotton from the pond in the middle of the local golf course.

Lizards and grass snakes from the claypit in Oxshott Woods.

Field voles from Ham Common.

Need I go on, and on, and on .......?

Gives me a warm glow just thinking about it.

DCB

I was born in the 70's and i still made my tree house and go-kart went down roads hoping a car wasn't coming up as there was no way of stopping untill you hit it the house was left open until the mid 80's i went camping in the summer with or with out a tent up in the woods. i probably should not write this but i also used to use night lines as a kid. I've learnt this is not a good practice now i've also learnt not to go racing down steep hills with blind bends on my go-kart or skateboard.