Second new bird visitor this week

nursejudy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Bird Cafe

2 new visitors Long-tail tits i think

Definitely Long-tailed tits - they don't hang about for long though, do they?

Keep an eye out for any with a white head - they will be visitors from the continent (Scandinavia - Russia etc.).

Like this:- http://www.kentos.org.uk/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2020

will fill the feeders up in the morning ,i am trying to take better pics but the dam birds dont co-operate do they....

tried the sports setting but zoom does not seem to work as good,ifn i mess with the shutter speed do i want really fast,and what would be the best aperture setting,i'm so useless at this but with reirement at the end of next month i aim to spend more time at it,was even wondering if i would be any better with a cannon or nickon dslr...... brave words ....but am determind to treat myself to something for retirement .....currently either a food mixer but camera could be possible ,not sure trev would agree as not had this cannon long.

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

NJ

If you open the aperture then focus (depth of field) will be the issue. If you know where the birds are going to be when you take the picture then you can pre-focus.

and take the picture from the same distance each time. (i.e. aperture set as wide open as possible). Aperture and shutter spead, generally speaking balance the available light. Do you have an "aperture preferred" setting in an automatic settings?

Actually, it would help if we knew your current camera options?

Phone

NJ,

It's not a camera issue. That's a very good camera. I would think you could not do better than using the "Intelligent IS" mode. I was taught the old fashion way. Take 10,000 pictures and one will be pretty good. A couple of the "pros" may be able to suggest a short-cut to success. Again, I wouldn't think having the outside 2% of fancy do-dads will help you in the learning curve.

Phone

Getting good bird pics is never easy, you'll always want a longer lens and more light.

You'll probably always reject at least 90% of pics, often more.

Fast shutter speed is better - the formula that most birders use as a starting point is to have a shutter speed at least as fast as the focal length of the lens, my zoom goes to 400mm so I'm always looking to get at least 1/400 of a second exposure - find the best aperture for your camera - some are good wide open (lowest f number) some are better stopped down a bit - use f8 as a starting point - raise the iso for starters if this doesn't give you a fast enough shutter speed, set camera to underexpose by a half or two thirds of a stop - this will also increase shutter speed a little.

For best results use a tripod and a remote shutter release - and use burst mode, i.e. take lots of shots - the beauty of digital is that it costs nothing except time going through them all afterwards.

Get closer if you can - distance is a major factor in getting good shots with a long lens (particularly in warmer weather) - a long lens magnifies everything - atmospheric pollution - camera shake - movement of the subject - it's never been easy and it probably never will be - but it's worthwhile when you get that one in a hundred shot.

Some good tutorials here.

Ayjays advice is pretty spot on, the only thing I would add is that most zoom lenses are'nt their sharpest at maximum focal length (my 500mm is sharpest around the 300 - 400mm range and often the pictures are sharper if i use this range and then crop down the image to suit, as long as long as i don't try to crop down too far).

That is a good and capable camera Judy, just to add a few pointers to those already given.

To get the best out of your camera you'll need to find a few tutorials online and understand the exposure triangle, sounds complicated but it's easy enough.

Have a look at this Camera simulator. http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator/

Try setting the sim to Shutter Priority, Lighting to Partly Cloudy, Iso to 100. You will then want a to set the Shutter speed to say 1/400 sec, with that shutter speed the Aperture value will flash. This is because not enough light is available to take a decent photo. Snap the shutter and you'll see the photo is a bit too dark, ie under exposed.

If you use the same settings again increase the iso to 200 and snap the shutter you'll have a decent photo.

Another consideration is auto focus, read the manual and learn how to set the camera to use one auto focus point in the centre as you look through the lens. If your camera auto focus is set to either Face detection or Face select and track the Auto focus will "hunt" for something light to focus on. With the centre AF point you tell the camera where to focus where you have it pointed, instead of letting it decide.

If you are taking these photographs hand held make sure that the Image Stabilization is turned ON.

If you use a tripod make sure Image Stabilization is turned OFF.

i have a question,please bear with me if its a stupid one !!!

my camera lens is 50 zoom,i can get 100 to 200 mm,but thats the digital zoom i think,if you buy or have a 100 / 200 lens won't the pictures be a better quality ,as the lens will be doing what it does and not using the digital zoom if that makes sense,

i do have the manual,i printed all of it !!!!! on weekend at work while bored!!!!!,

i really would like to get some sharp lovely pictures of the birds,if things had been different with trevor ,i would have been going on a photography course holiday as a retirement present to my self,but thats just not possible now,i am going to have to make me time!!! and sit with the manual

Edited by nursejudy

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)