Second new bird visitor this week

nursejudy

Looking at the Exif frim Nick, thanks.

Focal length 215mm

Shutter speed 1/100 sec

Iso 800

Aperture f6.5

Time 17:05.

My opinion is that the low quality is due to camera shake, the shutter speed should be at least the same as the focal length, ie 1/250 sec or better still 1/400 sec.

The aperture is probably about right if it was set by the camera in an auto mode as is the Iso.

As the pic was took at 17:06 the light will have been starting to go too, hence the 800 Iso.

When you get a chance Judy, pick a bright day, set the camera to Shutter priority then set the shutter speed to 1/400 sec. Your camera will then take care of all the other needed settings. Take another photo or two of your birds from where the others were took. If you can, lean against something to help steady the camera.

Post them, they should be as sharp as your snow covered bird table.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wondered if the digital zoom was causing some blur:

Digital Zoom Ratio = 4000/2048 ===> 1.95

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

today's efforts ,had a lovely thrush not sure if song or missal ,

have tried taking piccys with different shutter speed or aperture on f8 please advise

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

this is for the last picture

Make
Canon
Model
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Aperture
Exposure Time
1/320 (0.003125 sec)
Lens ID
Unknown 4-215mm
Focal Length
215.0 mm
Flash
Off, Did not fire
File Size
111 kB
File Type
JPEG
MIME Type
image/jpeg
Image Width
Image Height
Encoding Process
Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample
Color Components
X Resolution
Y Resolution
Software
Picasa
YCbCr Sub Sampling
YCbCr4:2:2 (2 1)
YCbCr Positioning
Co-sited
Date and Time (Original)
2013:03:24 11:59:13
Max Aperture Value
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Color Space
sRGB
Sensing Method
One-chip color area
Custom Rendered
Normal
Exposure Mode
Auto
White Balance
Auto
Digital Zoom Ratio
Scene Capture Type
Standard
Contrast
Normal
Saturation
Normal
Sharpness
N/A
Quality
Fine
Sequence Number
F Number
Exposure Compensation
N/A
Focus Mode
Single
ISO
Digital Zoom
1.95x
Compression
JPEG (old-style)
XMP Toolkit
XMP Core 5.1.2

nurse.gif

this is for the last picture

Image Width
Image Height

Do you have the option to take larger pics?

If you do, set the image size for largest and quality to highest - you get less pics on a memory card but unless you are shooting in RAW you'll still get hundreds on a 4gb card.

Edit: Mistle thrush and Reed bunting btw.

Edited by ayjay

The canon SX50 HS can shoot in RAW so if you don't mind the after processing work its better (imo) to shoot in that.

Judy the 50X optical lens is equivalent to a 24 -1200mm lens on a 35mm base (SLR) so its got a pretty huge range but at the top end your almost certainly going to have to use a tripod and probably wind the iso levels up too.

Ajay

a reed bunting whats that doing here !!!!!!!!! with the thrush that makes 4 new birds this last week.......... am i going to stand the excitement, i will never get any housework done... :clap3:

i will get my tripod out --- promise just not sure where it is.

i have only reduced the size to 800 for uploading on here and facebook

i did not realise the top end of the zoom was so big...where do i find the iso levels....... going to have to get the manual out but there are about 150/200 pages

also have not found raw

i d0o appreciate the help and advice just dim with anything new !!!

nurse.gif

We have an old saying " If all else fails, read the manual" I think it took me about fifty years for the penny to drop :roll1: Defiantly get the tripod out Judy. I looked at a review for your camera ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs)

There is an image in the gallery of a plane taking off camera settings are similar focal length and shutter speed as your thrush photo.

Have you tried setting the camera back to the manufacturers default, in case you have inadvertently altered some settings?

Ajay

a reed bunting whats that doing here !!!!!!!!!

They come into gardens when times are hard (re feeding) as do Redpoll, Siskins, Blackcaps Bullfinch, Brambling and a fair few others.

Seed eaters (like Reed Bunting) have eaten all the easy stuff out in the wild by now and they have to wait for a fresh crop of seed to eat, so they come into gardens for freebies if they have any sense.

Insect eaters always struggle in cold weather because the insects disappear - many birds die in prolonged spells of cold weather ( whole populations can disappear from an area) they have to eat enough every day to survive - just one poor feeding day and an extra cold night to follow is enough to finish them off.

I have taken a few piccys today and not had the auto setting on,i have had different shutter speeds then different apertures and even found the iso level and changed that (Also have seen a Bullfinch )

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

nurse.gif