Nuclear War

Leon Roskilly

If Pakistan & India do start chucking nukes at each other, how will the resultant radioactive dust cloud affect the rest of us?

Chernobyl was bad enough :(

I'd imagine a radiocative cloud would swirl around the Southern hemisphere for a while, before drifting across the equator and bringing increased incidence of cancer and leukemia to the Northern hemispheres.

Strangely, with the prospect fairly imminent, there doesn't seem to be much discussion about how the rest of the world will be affected in our media.

Perhaps they don't want to start a worldwide panic.

OOOOops! Sorry if this post does that.

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

With both India and Pakistan being in the northern hemisphere, the muck might get to us sooner rather than latter.

I'm not sure whether north India/Pakistan fall within the tropical or temperate climatic zones but if it's temperate, it could easilly be in north America in a week and Europe in two.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Cheers ken thats really cheered me up :rolleyes:

Leon

Panic? me? never!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, don't panic don't panic

Sorry fellas if it seems i'm taking the p**s but if we start worrying now what are going to do when they really do fire nukes at each other.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

ALAN FAWCETT:

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, don't panic don't panic

Sorry fellas if it seems i'm taking the p**s but if we start worrying now what are going to do when they really do fire nukes at each other.

During the Cold War, I seem to remember lots of advice to citizens on how to avoid, or at least lessen the effects of radiation exposure.

In the weeks following Chernobyl (a bit too late really)papers were giving advice like 'stay indoors, particularly when it's raining; drink plenty of iodene?'

(Even now there are radioactive hotspots from that event in the UK, where the sheep should not be touched!)

Perhaps the plan is to wait and see what happens so that there isn't panic buying of bottles of iodene from Tesco's pharmacies, and meanwhile the government is quietly getting on with the work of distributing and stocking leaflets and supplies in case of need.

Meanwhile, I'm left wondering whether or not I should be digging up my lawn and installing a radiation bunker!

Or should I dig out my old copy of 'Protect and Survive'?

I seem to remember that advised using two or three doors leaned against an internal wall, and covered with sandbags full of garden soil!!

(Oh! and don't forget the toilet and drinking arrangements for the next 3 weeks or so!)

http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/atomic/

inner1.gif

Maybe now's the time to make a speculative purchase of ex government geiger-counters.

If the worst does happen, I could make a killing selling them at a huge premium, once the dustclouds begin circulating.

(I also understand that USA nuclear plants have been put on full alert to guard against a possible imminent terroist attack involving radioactivy)

Oh! I think I'll just go fishing :)

TL - leon

[ 25 May 2002, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

ajp:

............eerm Leon, could you tell me exactly where I shouldn't touch a sheep ?   :D

Er apparently in the Lake District, and North Wales, I'd be especially wary of the ones wearing rucksacks!

From New Scientist:

Where sheep may radioactively graze 11 Dec 93

Yes, this sheep is wearing rucksacks. But no, it is not a technological aid for Little Bo Peep. Every 60 seconds the equipment inside the rucksacks records to within 5 metres where they are grazing. The Institute of Terrestrial Ecology is using them to find out why some sheep grazing in the Lake District become more radioactive than others and so pinpoint the contaminated land.

The radioactivity is a legacy of the explo-sion at the Chernobyl nuclear plant in April 1986. Dust and gases were carried west from Ukraine by the prevailing winds, and heavy rainfall deposited them in some upland areas of England and North Wales. The Lake District's peaty soil readily releases radioactive caesium compounds into the roots of plants grazed by sheep, and meat sold from the area is still subject to screening. Some is unsaleable..................

Tight Lines - leon

ps I've got a couple of screensavers involving sheep if any sheep fanciers want me to email them!

RNLI Shoreline Member

What effect if any will the expected radiation have on fish stocks?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

i did see a documentary on radioactive fish in an american river near a city called springfield it had three eyes when the owner of a nearby power station was intervewed (a mr burns)

said he had no knowledge of this fish and that there had been no radiation leaks (a bit like cellafield),the story was headline news ,the fish was christened "blinky" :) by its captor a young boy named bart ,the fish was killed .it is not known if it had managed to breed in the river as the program was cut short to show robot wars.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

How about several pre-emptive strikes using airbursts and very "clean" nukes? Little to no fallout that way.

If you are short on them, I imagine we could loan you a few (or really give them since who would want an expended nuke back?).

Sorta makes you wonder if giving up India back in '47 was such a great idea though, doesn't it?

[ 26 May 2002, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President