Newt or anyone Sound Card Help!

Dan

ok this is how far ive got, ive put in a jumper to disable the sound, ( as per mother board manual, removed as many drivers for the on board sound system as I can find and reinstalled the card, it still doesnt work! I get message from windows media player etc that says Card not installed properly. I have noticed that the card requires Win 98 SE I'm running Win 98, should have looked at the box but then I told the shop what I had. Is this likely to cause the problem? There are no conflicts in System Device Manager and it reports all is working OK, the little liar! Any suggestions?

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remove card /insert card about 6 times to ensure you've got a good conetion

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

if its a via mvp3 motherboard put the soundcard in the furthest slot from the video card (whether agp or pci) uninstall all the soundcard drivers and reboot ,windows will "find " it again ignore the requests for driver disc etc ,then install using the cd (hopefully it should have an install feature on it ) ignore windows offer to restart (with the old creative soundblaster live cards it offered to reeboot before the drivers had been fully installed) after a minute reboot there should be a (hopefully) a shortcut to the soundcard near the clock ,my audigy has a testing thingy ,also check that the speakers are in the right sockets ,if analogue speakers check the "digital out only" is unchecked :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

OK I'm losing my temper now! Ive downloaded the latest drivers from the site, it lists win 98 so assume that isnt a problem, (PC100 M747 mother board) Ive taken the s*dding card out more times than I can remember, but will do it again! I only have 3 slots, a modem is in 1 and this card another, Ive tried swapping them around. The install wizard reports no faults, System/device manager reports no conflicts and says its working properly, the funny thing is the windows silly noises still come out! Will Try chesters method and see what joy I have, trouble is how do I know which drivers are sound drivers they seem to be scattered all over the windows directorys, although at least the Muse ones are in one directory!

Dan :confused: :confused:

if you get the windows sound then its working ,what isnt it making a noise in? if its cd check the thin cable from the cd to the board is in the right socket (check to see if the cd in is not muted in the software ) right click the speaker near the clock (open volume controls) uncheck every thing but the microphone ,check that all the sliders are at the top

you may have to enable the advanced section in the "options" dropdown to get all the devices

[ 25. September 2002, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Sorry to interrupt, I've just really enjoyed your messages, but I'm about to grab my teddy and weep all night because as somebody really new to all this, I have no replies to any messages and therefore don'tknow if I'm pushing the right buttons. Unspeakably sad for a woman of my standing. Hayellp

Help me unhook these, please.

Done all that, no difference!! All the messages in control panel say its working, I get the windows noises, but cant play Hercules media player (came with the card) or windows media player, from MP3 on hard drive or audio cd. When I try, I get a message that says there was an error initialising the application the sound card may not be installed correctly. All the volume levels are up. I couldnt find anything to disable the on board sound in the bios I just used the jumper on the M Board, is that likely to be a problem?

Any more thoughts anyone?

Dan :confused: :confused: