COULD YOU LIVE ON £7 .50 A DAY

big_cod

Like I said, it's a semantic point around how you define the word "subsidy".

The effect on the bottom line of the balance sheet of earning less on an asset than it is actually worth is exactly the same either way. There is no difference in practice.

If you like: the meaning of words can change: bad can be good, gay is lame, shirker is unemployed/disabled/sick/retired.

Look in the sun, mail, mirror you'll find plenty.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Regarding rent payments:

My local council pay for the rent you should pay on a flat with a correct number of bedrooms. So if you ar an elderly couple with no kids at home you get the equivalent of what you would pay for a one bedroom flat.

So, if you have a 2 bed flat you pay the difference between approximately £90 and whatever you pay for a 2 bedroom flat. Ususally around £70:00 per month extra....

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

did you read the article I referred to describing how the excess income is siphoned off from Local Authorities to the exchequer, subsidy is to the state, not from it! But lets not let facts get in the way of semantics.

Yes - but it doesn't make any difference. You could still make an operating return on assets if you built the houses out of solid gold, the question of subsidy is not whether the return is positive but whether it is as much as it would be at market rents.

Ken L - and anyone else that has made the assertion - Council Housing (correctly called social rented housing because most is no longer owned or operated by councils) is NOT subsidised. It is illegal for any subsidy to be provided.

Indeed local authorities are required by law to keep a totally separate account for housing.

If any of you can provide evidence of subsidy I would be delighted to see it!

It is low cost because there is no rip off bastard getting rich at the cost to the tax payer. The reason that "Housing benefit" costs have gone through the roof is simply because there is no limit to what private landlords can charge and therefore prices have escalated beyond reason. OK, people claiming Local Housing Allowance are limited in what they can claim, but it far exceeds social rents in the same area. None of the money goes to the claimant it all goes into the pockets of the landlord. This country has made many multi millionaires over the past 20 to 30 years purely from the payment of LHA and HB.

That money would be far better spent building social housing, which creates jobs, adds assets to the balance sheet and provides much needed jobs. Oh it also reduces the bill for LHA and HB.

Ken L - and anyone else that has made the assertion - Council Housing (correctly called social rented housing because most is no longer owned or operated by councils) is NOT subsidised. It is illegal for any subsidy to be provided.

Indeed local authorities are required by law to keep a totally separate account for housing.

It is low cost because there is no rip off bastard getting rich at the cost to the tax payer. The reason that "Housing benefit" costs have gone through the roof is simply because there is no limit to what private landlords can charge and therefore prices have escalated beyond reason. OK, people claiming Local Housing Allowance are limited in what they can claim, but it far exceeds social rents in the same area. None of the money goes to the claimant it all goes into the pockets of the landlord. This country has made many multi millionaires over the past 20 to 30 years purely from the payment of LHA and HB.

That money would be far better spent building social housing, which creates jobs, adds assets to the balance sheet and provides much needed jobs. Oh it also reduces the bill for LHA and HB.

Nick you are bang on the need for affordable housing now more than ever a big push to build more afforadable housing would be big on the jobs front private landlords are rubbing there hands chargeing what they like disposable income is shrinking fast and the faster this goverment wake up to that fact the better but do they care do they hell they just want to blame everybody else they are now into 3 years of there term and they are still passing the buck its all everybody elses fault yet unemployment is actually rising tax receipts are falling they have failed on the economy but there is one good thing that has come out of this goverment the very wealthyiest in our society are getting richer by day what does that tell you while the poorest in our society are getting poorer by the day shocking really and yes these are facts not fiction.

paul.

Edited by big_cod
  • Like 1

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Yes - but it doesn't make any difference. You could still make an operating return on assets if you built the houses out of solid gold, the question of subsidy is not whether the return is positive but whether it is as much as it would be at market rents.

"Market Rents" are only as high as they are because there are not enought bloody houses to go round Steve. Housing is one area where the free market does not work. If there is a big demand for BMW cars or Apple iphones BMW and Apple will ramp up production. There is a huge demand for low cost housing but I don't see the market rushing to fulfill the need.

A couple of years ago France built 500,000 new units of social housing, where the hell are ours. Don't give me that old "we haven't got the room crud either" we got plenty of bloody room, the problem is with those who own the room, not lack of it.

Lastly I don't give a flying foxes fornication session whether they would be built on green belt or brown belt, brown belt preferably but if it needs to be on green belt then so be it.

Edited by corydoras
  • Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

"Market Rents" are only as high as they are because there are not enought bloody houses to go round Steve. Housing is one area where the free market does not work. If there is a big demand for BMW cars or Apple iphones BMW and Apple will ramp up production. There is a huge demand for low cost housing but I don't see the market rushing to fulfill the need.

Indeed - and in some places, because of the willingness of the state to pay them. I hope that the cap on housing benefit will force rents in those places back to levels that individuals can afford to pay. But they are what they are, and the function of state owned housing is to provide subsidised options for people who can't afford the market rates. I have no problem with that.

Now HB is going to be paid to the recipient and not directly to the landlord I see many landlords refusing to rent to people on HB.

• Like 1

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

I'd also like to see tenants in private accommodation get the same "security of tenure" as French tennants get. Let your flat or house out in France and it's normally for a minimum of three years.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote