Just upgraded to a Sony Experia Z Mobile

Dave H

Dave, the only true benefit from having a large MP camera is the size of your prints if im not mistaken.

Had some awesome pics with my 4mp Olympus, it took better point and shoot ones than my current 14mp fuji which needs adjusting or editing to get the vibrance at the correct levels.

Phone, you got glass, lens, sensor, os, etc etc.

I agree with snakey's link, used to market cameras. Look this ones supoer cool its got 100mp!!! hm i bet my 4mp olympus takes a better pic :P

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Phone, photographers (over here at least) mean the lens when they talk of "glass".

Dave, if you follow Snakey's link on post 8 you'll find a lot about what makes a good camera. It certainly isn't the number of megapixels alone. The quality of the lens, the type and size of the sensor, and the software are just 3 other factors that are very important.

A useful analogy is the car. The fastest car may not be the one with the biggest cc engine.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve,

Yes, "glass" was lens even when I was a Kodak numpty. My stuff was a question more than anything.Snakeys link helped. (although I must admit I have no desire to "catch-up" in the field of piccys).

Phone

More on megapixels here http://www.mdavid.com.au/photography/megapixels.shtml and here http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/hardware/an-in-depth-look-at-megapixels-and-resolution/

Let me just say increasing the number of megapixels is generally good but it can also have its problems especially when your shoving millions of pixels on a really small sensor (i.e those in a camera phone) and then trying to gather light through what is almost a pinhole lens, hence why I'd take a canon 1Dmk111 10mp full frame SLR over any camera phone out there including nokias 808 41mp beasty.

Having more pixels is useful if you need to crop right down on an image(as well as for larger prints) but are you ever really going to do this with a camera phone image.

To be honest imo its a bit like how theres been a lot of people rushing out to buy the new go pro HD hero 3 black edition because it shoots 4K video when in reality 99% of them won't be able to view any 4K footage they might shoot at 4K because their screens and TVs can't resolve it.

Edited by snakey1

have to agree with others here: mega pixels means f'all if the lens and rest of the camera aint up to much.

with digital cameras that means the sensor as well as the lens;

I explain to people that if your not printing anything larger than A3 ever then a 5MP camera is all you ever need to purchase when it comes to mega pixels..spend the rest of your money on getting the best possible features;lens;sensors and quality build etc

I have my old Nokia N95 with carl zeiss lens and it can out shoot my iphone 5 camera any day of the week!

in the same way my canon eos 450d 12 MP can out shoot my new canon ixus 15MP camera any day of the week!

instead of cars think of it in term of binoculars; a cheap 10 pound pair of binoculars will let you see birds quite happily; but buy the same binoculars made by Swarovski ; and even though they may be the same magnification the image quality; light gathering; and clarity of the view through them will be so superior you will think you've swapped eyes!!

in most cases an average human cannot tell the difference between an image printed at 150dpi to one printed at 300dpi at 6*4 and unless your intending to print an image on a huge scale: your really throwing money at a number you don't need!

printsizechart.jpg

so your phone camera is 13 megapixels?

are you planning on printing many 40*60 inch photos?? :)

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Camera-comparison-Sony-Xperia-Z-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-Galaxy-Note-II-iPhone-5-Nokia-Lumia-920_id3251

and even in most reviews its the same thing...lower MP camera phones taking better piccies than higher MP cameras.

its sensor and lens all the way...

Edited by kirisute

You are not getting the point. All my life i have been ridiculed and bullied by my two children and my wife as i have always had the cheap phone with 1MP or something like that. taken the **** out off and generally told that i am stuck in the 80's and lived in a red telephone box!

Now i have for the first time fought back from the bowels of the earth and destroyed their 8MP phones into oblivion. So as far as i am concerned 12MP is better. They are now in ore. It's like the empire strikes back! :showoff:

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Ah if its a size thing then you should have definitely gone for the nokia 808 otherwise you'll whip yours out one day to impress and that'll be the day some "Jonah Falcon" happens to be there and you'll end up seriously outgunned. :D