Quite proud of this

nursejudy

It could be that the auto focus is set to multi point (or something similar) in which case the camera is deciding on the point that it thinks it needs to focus on, if you set it to single centre point focus (if possible) then wherever you put the centre focus point is where the camera will focus allowing you to target your birds more precisely.

NJ,

You are probably confusing yourself as well.

462px-Aperture_diagram.svg.png
In optics, the f-number of an optical system is the ratio of the lens's focal length to the diameter of the entrance pupil It is a dimensionless number that is a quantitative measure of lens speed, and an important concept in photography. F is the speed of the lens - sutter speed is the speed of the mechanical camera sutter.
So, on a bright sunny day with an ISO of 200 (In Digital Photography ISO measures the sensitivity of the image sensor) then the sutter speed is probably set at 1/200 of a second. Aperture (f) and Shutter speed are essentially doing the same thing and the f in most cases is just measuring the depth of field for focus. The hgher the f number the more the background will be in focus.
One of the "masters" can correct and expand this. I'm an old "film" guy. i'm sure I've made mistakes.
I am really beginning to admire your effort. Keep it UP!
Phone.
Edited by Phone

Ajay, kiri, shut up and enjoy the picture :P

Anyone aspiring to be a better photographer should be dissatisfied with unnecessarily out of focus shots and seeking ways to avoid them. :P :P

NJ;

Concentrate on one thing at a time and in my opinion all you need to worry about is one thing:

The faster you shoot; the less light hits the sensor.

So shooting a bird you want to shoot quickly to " freeze" it before it moves again....the problem is unless its really well lit you end up with a dark photo.

So an ISO of 2000 will probably freeze a bird quite well; but without good lighting it will be a dark photo. It's usually better to shoot slower ISO speeds to get cleaner crisper photos.

Learn to quickly change your ISO speeds and take the same subject multiple times with them: in the "old days" it was referred to as BRACKETING. Take one shot at correct settings, then one at lower and one at higher....giving you hopefully a perfect shot somewhere in the three.

Master ISO speed first. With that sorted you can then move onto aperture if you need to.

Also just keep hammering that shutter! Don't focus on one shot at a time! Shoot 5 or 6 of a subject....with digital it doesn't cost you and you just delete what you don't want. So throw settings at a single subject and see what they do...but adjust one at a time.

Edited by kirisute

I assume your talking shutter speed Kiri not iso, using an iso setting of 2000 will allow you higher shutter speeds at lower light levels for the same aperture but can increase the noise levels dramatically see http://digital-photography-school.com/iso-settings for iso settings and digital photography

Edited by snakey1

I know I must seem a pain and thick,however this forum ever since it started as always helped me and I have never been afraid to put a picture up for your review as some of you will know(Especially Den / Ajay) I have only ever used the auto settings on the different cameras I have had,each camera has been an improvement on the one before as I have got more confident with all your help.Using my current camera which I have had for about 6/8 months ,you have encouraged me to be more adventurous,I have been either using the TV setting in which I can set the shutter speed or AV the Fnumber( I am having trouble remembering which way round the F numbers are higher no,les less light)There is a P setting which says you can set various functions ,however I have not worked out what settings and how you change them!!!

The ISo i have left on auto as majority of shots have been taken indoors through glass( Trev soon feels the cold if have french doors open!!!)

The blue Tit picture the apple tree is about 15 foot away.

Ajay i agree so much the pictures look better but its harder spotting the birds with all the foliage comming out!!!

buy the time I have the settings sorted the damm bird has flown away!!

I went to the library yesterday and found 5 books but only one made any sense !!! so will go with that one,i am also hoping to treat my self to a Canon Digital SLR as a warning ..... more questions!!!

Re focusing I will try swicthing to manual and read the manual regarding focusing!!!

With retirement I am trying to make Judy time each day to watch the birds and take picture but with deterioration in Trev's health it will be mostly our garden birds I will be photographing!

Sorry this is such a long post but I thought it may explain a bit !!!!many thanks for all your encouragement ,I am a slow learner so please continue to be patient .xx

PS after re reading Phone's post with the diagrams perhaps I should think nursey wise low F no =dilated pupils higher F no =pinpoint pupils ...i may remember it better!!!

Edited by nursejudy
  • Like 1

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

NJ refocus and reframe is easy stuff.

Half press your shutter to set focus point. Then, keeping shutter held down, move the camera til the shot is how you want it.

So you might have a bird in the centre of the shot; half press til your camera focuses and locks; keep pressed down and move camera til bird is in different location in shot, then full press shutter to take shot.

The focus point will remain at the original location; ie the bird.

Hunt down these to keep things simple but increase your creativity:

Change from multi spot focus to single spot (centre): on auto most cameras will multi focus on various areas of the scene, making it tough to pinpoint a bird in a bush. Changing to manual centre spot focusing means the camera will focus on the centre of the image. Meaning you can get your subject central in the shot and focus on it really quick.

Bracket your shots with the TV setting; set one, then take be next step up, and next step down

Do the same with AV setting....it's the best and quickest way to learn.

NJ,

Ha ha - YES! remember "PERAL" (pupils equal and reactive to light) That's "f" stop. It controls how much in front of and how much behind the subject is in focus (depth of field).

I know how you love birds but - - - - - maybe you can try cut flowers with bugs. I got hung up on cut flowers and bugs when I first began. They are so much easier to manipulate and they don't GO ANYWHERE if you start with beetles or something the same speed as you are. Maybe a catapillar. Also, your arrangements can be done indoors in closer proximity to Trev.

Phone