Loading line

chezz

Has anyone got any ides how to measure off line from a bulk spool accurately ? I have tried the shakespeare line counter and at best its not accurate in forty years I have found this a proper pain ..

I work out (or check the reel specs) how much goes on with one turn of the reel, multiply it up until you know how many turns will put on the amount you want, then just count the turns as you wind it on. It's always been close enough for me.

I was going to suggest the shakespeare line counter - they've always been accurate for me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Chezz,

Knew a guy who was anal about "exact amount of line". He spooled up on a football field. This also insured his line went on the reel without any twist.

Phone

Surely the amount of line laid per revolution of the reel depends on the effective diameter of the spool at that time? If the spool is an inch across at the spindle and two inches at the lip, the first turn of the bail arm will lay 3.14 inches of line and the last 6.28.

• Like 1

Why do you need to know how much line your putting on/taking off your reel? :g:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I do the county thing on my centrepins. Work out the circumference around the pins and count turns. Why - well if I buy say a 175m spool of line - I want that to do for four reels (or 3 re-spools of the same reel) - at a little over 40m a reel and not get 50m on one and 30 on another...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Pins are a little different in that it is undesirable to fully fill them. A fixed spool you ideally fill until it is full.

One way to work out how much line you have put on a fixed spool reel would be to weigh the spool before and after on sensitive scales. You would need to measure what the line weighs, though - perhaps weigh your bulk spool full and empty.