Which political party for the angler?

Steve Randles

Lets have your views on which of the parties would do the most, be most supportive of the angler.In the upcoming election on May 5th? All other topics aside on this one, just angling related please.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there's this:

telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml.../26/nfish26.xml

Then there's this:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/

It's nice to be popular for once! :)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I received this very detailed reply from a Lib.Dem representative when asking about their official angling policy:-

quote:

Dear Mr Powell,

We have no official party policy on coarse fishing, or game fishing, and we have no plans to introduce the use of barbless hooks. We have been asked whether we support a licence for sea angling, and we consider that if any licensing system is introduced it is only done after full consultation with sea anglers. If a licence is introduced, it would only be on the basis that sea anglers themselves see real benefits. Liberal Democrat propose to protect some fish stocks and zones for recreational sea anglers, which could then be supported with a new licensing system. We also have no plans to introduce legislation to abolish rod licences for fishing

I hope this info is useful

Best Wishes,

Eleanor Pinfield

Liberal Democrat Headquarters

4 Cowley Street

London

0207 222 7999

A bit disappointed I then sent the following e-mail:

'Dear Eleanor,

Firstly, many thanks for your prompt response.

Sorry to press but is there an unofficial policy then? Do you support Labours recently announced Anglers Charter, including their stance on cormorant predation? Also, I didn't mention barbless hooks but your reply seems to suggest that their use has been a discussion issue. Can you expand on this please?

Thanks and regards

Dave Powell

Their reply:-

quote:

Dear Dave,

The angels (sic)charter was published in 1997, and we have no current party line on it I'm afraid. I can find no Lib Dem reference to cormorant predation. Our party view is that we have no plans to introduce any new restrictions on fishing. We will always look carefully at any new proposals to maintain and improve standards of public safety, countryside management and animal welfare. The barberless (sic) hooks comment was based on the fact that we have been asked our opinion on this issue by the Countryside Alliance, but we have not had an internal party discussion on the issue.

Regards, Eleanor.

Liberal Democrat Headquarters

4 Cowley Street

London

0207 222 7999

There you go then.

Cheers

Dave

"We have no plans..."

Should have left it at that!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Labour, irrespective of all other issues, I sincerely believe that they offer something worthwhile to the angler.

The Greens, as much as I like many of their policies, I do not believe that angling is safe with them.

The Lib Dems, what policy?

The Conservatives, if they have a policy on angling, which they may, then I am not aware of it, and they would appear to be somewhat behind Labour.

Labour for me.

Well Angling would not be safe with the 'Greens' as they are for abolishing angling and any other form of animal based 'sport'.

Of course they are run by persons whom appear to be vegan loonies, but you'd have to trawl around a bit to find out.

Shame as many anglers would consider themselves very 'green' but no way would they join forces with the bunny huggers.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

the Tories have promised to abolish the EA licence - losing the EA £18 million of funding to protect rivers from poachers and pollution.

Labours charter for angling is the dogs - they even point out that antis disrupting angling events will be subject to ASBO's

as someone said, if it was just on angling i'd be a red.

Mark

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

I go fishing for many reasons but for the last 6 months it's been a life saver against all this election bullshit. I have a favourite, but it's like choosing what method you want to be executed by! We still need to be vigilant, keep up the pressure on all parties, whoever is in charge.

We can start by severing all contact with the Countryside Alliance. Anyone seen them lately?

----------------------------

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

:mad:

I don't think anything any Party says about angling, will influence the way people will vote!

If the foreigners are catching all the fish then there will be nothing left for us.(European issue)

If we are worse off financially, then we can't afford to go fishing as often.(Economic issues)

If we are taxed heavily to provide for the wasters and people who haven't saved anything, then we can't afford to go fishing as often. (Social issues)

If our NHS is overwhelmed by people who haven't contributed, then we won't live long enough to retire to fishing.(Immigration issues)

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

upto now i am of the opinion that i will not vote in the forthcoming general election, if however i was to vote for any party that i feel will benifit angling in the whole then i could only vote labour, this would be because i recently read their (labour) angling charter, it impressed me, i have seen no such literature from any other politcal party, a bit of a no-contest really,

les