What's it take to be "good"

Phone

Good post DaveH

"Locating the fish"

Most good anglers plumb every inch of their swim. and thus build up a topographical picture of the bottom. Some also use the lead to determine the nature of the bottom ( a search on "leading about" will yield the details)

As you and I discussed on pm, very few then investigate the current flow in rivers or undertow in lakes by putting on a bait with a lowish density (eg bunch of lobs) to catch the current at depth and a small float attached bottom only (to minimise the effect of wind and surface drift on float and line) and see where the sub-surface currents take the bait. The information obtained could profoundly influence where you put the loose feed - and indeed, where in the swim you fish.

It is surprising how often a river current at depth differs from the surface current in direction, and how often the undertow in "still" water is not exactly opposite to the surface drift. ....and unlike the bottom topography, the sub surface currents, particular the undertow, are likely to change with a change in wind strength and direction. So recheck them from time to time, even if you are legering.

A point worth sharing with other forum members.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Anyone is capable of catching any fish they want. If they want it enough, they will make it happen.

In 1932, a US angler caught a 22 pound 4 oz largemouth bass in Georgia. It was a record fish.

As far as I know, it is still the record fish and since catching a larger one would be worth a few millions of dollars, lots of anglers have spent many thousands of hours trying to beat that weight. As far as I'm aware, no one has.

My PB after lots of years fishing and much of it for largemouth bass is a smidge over 7 pounds if that gives you an idea of how comparatively large that beast was.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good post DaveH

"Locating the fish"

Most good anglers plumb every inch of their swim. and thus build up a topographical picture of the bottom. Some also use the lead to determine the nature of the bottom ( a search on "leading about" will yield the details)

As you and I discussed on pm, very few then investigate the current flow in rivers or undertow in lakes by putting on a bait with a lowish density (eg bunch of lobs) to catch the current at depth and a small float attached bottom only (to minimise the effect of wind and surface drift on float and line) and see where the sub-surface currents take the bait. The information obtained could profoundly influence where you put the loose feed - and indeed, where in the swim you fish.

It is surprising how often a river current at depth differs from the surface current in direction, and how often the undertow in "still" water is not exactly opposite to the surface drift. ....and unlike the bottom topography, the sub surface currents, particular the undertow, are likely to change with a change in wind strength and direction. So recheck them from time to time, even if you are legering.

A point worth sharing with other forum members.

Yes good advice and something we did discuss especially on one typical water. It is not easy on very undulating water though. Once the 3/4 length of the depth had then hit the shallower spot therefore dragging the bottom i clipped up the reel line. I think it might be better to find the deepest part of the area you want to fish first by marker float so you can start there with the roving float

Then i adjusted the length of the line to 3/4 the depth again of that new depth but noting where the depth had changed also using a bankside marker. That spot in itself could be a feeding spot so it is noted too. It could end up at a bar and then it's interesting where the tow takes it. On one spot it started going away from me and then coming back maybe 6 ft further across.

It’s almost like doing an old dot to dot picture you did when you are a kid (in effect it can look very much like that if you jot the depth changes. However it's bloody hard work and then the weed just throws problems in as the weed is just too thick to let the current drag the little float and worm. Eventually it will settle somewhere in a margin but it might go onto the other side of the lake but at least you have a few spots.

It's a long winded but you sure hell get a better picture than plumbing the depths as you get tow and depth in one.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Newt,

For as long as this record has stood I've often wondered if it was slightly bogus. I bet you're going to have to go to CALIF. to have a chance. (They are not going to allow a "Florida Strain" - are they?)

Phone

It's a long winded but you sure hell get a better picture than plumbing the depths as you get tow and depth in one.

Sometimes not that long-winded, because you have bait on, and a bite tells you that the fish have been found !

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 2 weeks later...

Andy_1984 is my lucky charm. Mostly when we go fishing, I catch fish and he generally catches nothing.

If only he'd fit in my tackle box.....lol

:hypocrite:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

whats it take to be good well money helps

hire the best guides

fish the best waters

use the best equipment

money will get you the best fish but may not make you the best fisher but you will look like the best

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

im sure i could squeeze something in yer tacklebox, no wait............. That doesn't sound right.

I think I knew what you meant, seeing as your bodily functions make-up the vast majority of your conversation. The more sexually deviant out there might think you meant something quite different.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...