Perch fishing

PerchMan

Anderoo,

Over here "the difference" is a simple case of being less agressive in late spring and summer, especially late summer, because they are well fed in the summer with naturals and needing a wider range for foraging in the colder months and early spring. (We don't have commercials for predators (execpt trout). Still, I think the feeding habits would be similar (?).

Phone

Andrew, yes it is worth fishing for perch on commercials in summer. I haven't done so for some years as nowadays other species interest me more then. Two of the main differences I found were that I needed more bait to hold the fry than in winter, plus dawn was often even better than dusk.

Not for the first time I found myself nodding in agreement with Vagabond, particularly regarding fishing for perch off the baited area. Some will know I covered this in my article on perching on commercial waters. Go to http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Articles/big_perch_steve_burke.html.

If you haven't already seen it you can find the perch programme I did in the Predators series on Sky TV on YouTube. Half of that deals with commercials.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

All,

My "joke" didn't go over so well !! NO - I didn't catch that Nile PERCH from Lake Victoria in Africa. YES - I lied.

Phone

Didn't want to leave it up too long without explaination.

What about time of day in summer? In winter, in my limited experience, there seems to be a flurry at dusk but fish turn up all through the day too.

As I have said before, I'm not too sold on the "perch bite best at dusk" idea.

Yes, on some waters they do bite at dusk, but they bite at other times also !

Nearly all the perch over 2 lb (and up to 4 lb) I have had from small still-waters have come mid morning in summer,

and from November onwards, around midday at the start of the winter, gradually getting later to about 2 pm by end of December.

The exact time seems to be highly specific for each water and the time of year. Fishing into the dusk in winter has just resulted in getting cold, without increasing my perch tally.

(anecdote - on one water the exact time of most larger perch captures in summer is around 10 am - have had several within five minutes of that time. On one occasion grandson No 3 was fishing the other end of the pond. Out of sight of each other, we both got a perch of 2 lb plus at the same instant, started round with fish in net to show to the other, and met halfway !)

From large still-waters I have not perceived any pattern - just glad to catch any decent sized perch any time!

Same on rivers - no particular pattern

On canals/dykes - the Romney Marsh produced morning fish in summer, and midday in October/Nov, getting later as the winter set in - very similar to my small still-water experiences.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Very interesting, Dave. Thanks for the observations.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I love fishing for Perch on the float for me it's my favourite fishing of all. It's also a great surprise whoelse turns up but that's part of the enjoyment too. But i have to admit i struggle with tow while float fishing if fishing off the bottom. In 40 years its my achilles heel if you like. I hear others fishing up in the water but i try it and the dam thing just goes off. I have tried very long floats but it still seems too not work even with a 100 shot on the line?

Steve. I may need your wisdom and hands on experience here...

Secrets and advice boys of float fishing off the bottom in tow or float fishing off the bottom in general?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

, twitched lobs will sort the wee-boys from the daddy perch though.

Or better still a 4 to 6 inch livebait (perch is good)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"